Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
htgguy

Default Help me spot Noise

I have had a number of photos rejected for too much noise/grain recently. I would appreciate some help in spotting this so I can try and eliminate it prior to uploading. If anyone can point out specific spots in these pictures that are grainy I would appreciate it so I can work on correcting them.

Thanks.

First one

Second one
htgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I can mainly see it in the sky. Also, they don't appear to be sharp, they seem a bit blurry to me. What type of equipment do you have? And are you saving both in camera and on your home PC the highest possible quality settings? And if that's not the case, what camera settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO *especially ISO*, etc) are you using? Shutter speed and aperture im not too worried about, it's the ISO. That's a fair amount of light so I don't see why you would increase the ISO to capture it all. Unless they were turning out dark and you adjusted? Please elaborate

Ben

Great shots by the way!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
htgguy

Thanks-they were shot with a Canon S2-image size and quality at the maximum settings, the originals are 2592x1944 although the posted images are cropped and resized. ISO set at 50, as there was very good light in both cases. Aperture priority at f4.0, 1/500th and 1/640th shutter speeds.

I process them in Paint Shop Pro 7.0, USM before resizing at 0.60/90/1 then usually once more after I resize. Other than that I didn't touch the color, brightness, or anything elso on these.

Edit-I also save them at maximum JPEG quality only once, after cropping, resizing, and editing is complete.

Jim

Last edited by htgguy; 05-23-2008 at 07:56 PM.
htgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

odd im not seeing it?
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:32 AM   #5
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

i see it just in the sky, i see more fuzziness or poor image quality than anything. 5 megapixels is workable, and i'm a firm beliver in megapixels isnt everything, but I would seriously suggest looking into something a bit more. It's all the way you process. Now I wouldn't go about and buy a more expensive camera just for RP, use it for your walk around camera too for anything else you photograph. Good luck man!

Ben
Old 05-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I like the second one a lot its very creative and the angle is great.
My edit involed just some luminant and color reduction and a little saturation. I sharpend the front of the locomotive first with elements 6.0 then finished the over all sharpness in photoshop lightroom. I think if you try this I beleive it has a good chance. I think it still will get rejected for image quality though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mm.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	2854  
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote