Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #126
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero
Oh, yeah. That makes it a lot less annoying. I think I speak for all of us when I say that if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion then DO NOT POST! You are not required to comment on every post here in the forums. Please, just be quiet if you aren't going to write about what is being discussed.

Sorry, you created the topic. Once the topic is started you really have no control over where it goes. I think everyone is having a fairly civil discussion on the topic you started. Like I said above to River Rails, if you have nothing further to contribute to the conversation then just stay quiet. The admins have the power to end the topic if they see fit and they obviously do not. Some of you need to show a little more maturity in a forum full of mostly adults.
Yes I created this forum and the posts above like Chris said is off topic. That is what i am yelling about. I like how others are putting their point of view in on the picture but Mike and River Rails are way off topic. Others are too but not to that degree of off topicness.
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #127
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

I am trying to be as positive as possible here. I love this site and wish it no ill harm or anything bad. But as a long-time contributor, here is my 2 cents as requested by a couple of peers.

To the screeners. This shots in question seem to be a lapse in judgment. At least for the cityscape shot, it should have been rejected for many technical reasons (bad lighting, headlight flair, noise, softness, blurriness). I am curious how the RP.net team wants us submitters to push the envelope when most attempts taken at are rejected for technical reasons or the blanket "poor aesthetics". I'd try to upload a lot more outside-the-box material but I know a lot of it will get shot down because its not a well lit 3/4 or similar. Those shots reside on many other sites, which is a shame because they'll hide forever far away from the RP.net traffic. It is a bit discouraging and annoying when the screening team seems to go against the "rules and standards of RP". When I look at either images in question, I don't see why they should be on this site. The background and subject (the train) are suppose to compliment each other nor does the train really appear as subject matter. Neither shot compliment the train, which is nothing more than a little white, flared speckle in the distance. Screeners, if you want us to think outside the box, give some guidelines. At the moment, there are none besides the basics of photography. This site seems to go though rashes of things. Lets get a baring on those kind of things. That way, we can all have more fun.

I believe there is some favoritism going on too. Since the screeners can see who is uploading (as told from a forum post about 1.5 years ago), its impossible to NOT have favoritism. How about a blind uploading method where the screeners can't see the names of the submitters? Its more than fair. ccaranna has a vaild point that a lot of odd stuff is making it though the gates these days. Theres no reason why the screeners need to see the names of people uploading. milwman pointed out fixing the inconsistencies between screeners. I agree that it's a good sized problem. It makes uploading a lot more irritating as screener 1 likes this stuff but 2 doesn't and vise versa. Could the screening team work on that?

To Chris K. Comparing it to other rejected shots IS important. Thats the whole point of photography and life. Look back on all the crap and try to improve upon it. When we get B after A, we have to examine the differences between A and B, even if A wasn't that great.

To the RP.net public at large. When you put a picture on RP.net or any public forum for that matter, its open to criticism, no matter whether you like it or not. Welcome to the world. With that said, this site is only as strong as its weakest member. Lets continue to encourage each other while keeping the bickering and bitching to a minimum.

To John Ryan. Its nice to hear that it took you 4 tries to get your shot on RP. Honestly, boo hoo. There are shots I've uploaded TEN times that kept on getting rejected for various reasons or another. Just because you did it a couple of times doesn't make you entitled to anything. As I said in the comments, that is a nice cityscape picture, but hardly a train picture. The city takes too much away from the train. Its a city shot that just happens to have a train, not the other way around.

I know I am no saint, but this site has pushed me to become a better photographer. My work is getting published. I am doing professional photography for railroads, industries, and individuals. Soon I will be starting on a book. I owe a lot of that to this site. Anywhoo, thats my first post in many a blue moon. Back to my hidey-hole of quiet submitting!

I think a lot can be taken away from this discussion. Hopefully the RP.net community can mend itself and be a team again.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #128
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN

I think a lot can be taken away from this discussion. Hopefully the RP.net community can mend itself and be a team again.

We have been, for several days now.....

Oh, and welcome back!

Last edited by River Rails Photography; 08-06-2008 at 02:47 PM.
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #129
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
I believe there is some favoritism going on too. Since the screeners can see who is uploading (as told from a forum post about 1.5 years ago), its impossible to NOT have favoritism. How about a blind uploading method where the screeners can't see the names of the submitters? Its more than fair. ccaranna has a vaild point that a lot of odd stuff is making it though the gates these days. Theres no reason why the screeners need to see the names of people uploading. milwman pointed out fixing the inconsistencies between screeners. I agree that it's a good sized problem. It makes uploading a lot more irritating as screener 1 likes this stuff but 2 doesn't and vise versa. Could the screening team work on that?
I doubt it. Once the emails start pouring in about similar to previous or double upload rejections that don't make any sense because it was a different contributor to upload the first one, it becomes more of a problem than a solution. John's point about having to upload the shot 4 times was to dismiss the ideas of favoritism because if there were it would have been on the first time since all the screener did was "look at the name" and not open the large image.

Those who 'push the envelope' here don't always have success so the point about not uploading those types of photos out of fear of rejection is absurd. People think photos that are different are automatically considered 'creative' and should therefore be accepted. I used to think this way until I saw that some things work and others don't and that lighting is still important regardless of how out-of-the-box the shot is. If you feel your 'pushing the envelope' shots deserve to be on RP than upload them and make sure it shows what you think it does to someone else. Find a friend who is a harsher critic of your work than you are (thanks, Mitch!) and get an honest opinion. If it rejected for PEQ, instead of claiming it is creative try to understand why it is not the type of material wished to be published, what doesn't work and what does. Go back and try it again...

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #130
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I don't know that I'd really call those shots "out of the box." John Ryan's shot (has anyone linked to it in this thread yet?) is JALSOP (Just Another Landscape Shot Of Pittsburgh), but in a unique lighting condition. I agree that it's a bit noisy, but that's what you get w/ those settings.

The cloud shot isn't much different than any of the other landscape shots we've had recently - the location of the train / pattern of the headlights was pretty obvious to me in that shot.

In other words, I don't see what all of the fuss is about - a pair of nice landscape shots make it in and everyone goes nuts.

Check out some of these POTW's - these have all been showered with praise, and as far as I know, where pretty uncontroversial.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image © Sean Moran
PhotoID: 235132
Photograph © Sean Moran

Image © Daniel Putz
PhotoID: 181778
Photograph © Daniel Putz
Old 08-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #131
ssw9662

Sorry, I'm late here, but I'll toss in my opinion.

First, I am going to have to agree with Mike here ( ). Photography can be challenging and certainly frustrating, but comparing it to making movies or music is simply comparing apples to oranges. While some of us may be limited financially or geographically, the bottom line is that anyone with a camera can take a picture - it just takes a lot of talent to produce a photo that can be regarded as an excellent one. We are all photographers here with one common goal, and that is to take good railroad photos. I doubt that most music and movie critics have their own studios.

As for the photos themselves, I can't say I am a big fan of either one. I enjoy most of Alex's and John's work, but these two photos simply do not do it for me. At the same time, would I rather see a photo like that on this site over a standard 3/4 wedge shot? Of course. Like it or not, the same photos that stir up controversy in this forum are the same ones that make this site great. If everyone took (and liked) the same photos, the photography world would be a very boring place.

I personally don't mind these "Why did this photo get on?" threads because they encourage debate on the subject that we are all here for.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #132
DelmonteX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
I don't know that I'd really call those shots "out of the box." John Ryan's shot (has anyone linked to it in this thread yet?) is JALSOP (Just Another Landscape Shot Of Pittsburgh), but in a unique lighting condition. I agree that it's a bit noisy, but that's what you get w/ those settings.

The cloud shot isn't much different than any of the other landscape shots we've had recently - the location of the train / pattern of the headlights was pretty obvious to me in that shot.

In other words, I don't see what all of the fuss is about - a pair of nice landscape shots make it in and everyone goes nuts.

Check out some of these POTW's - these have all been showered with praise, and as far as I know, where pretty uncontroversial.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image © Sean Moran
PhotoID: 235132
Photograph © Sean Moran

Image © Daniel Putz
PhotoID: 181778
Photograph © Daniel Putz

Well, like most things, it's not a matter of right or wrong, but rather where the line is drawn. In your examples, the first two are clearly Railroad photos. Ken's clearly has a train as the focal point with a a dramatic setting.

For non railroad fans, Sean's photo may need some explaining, but still the subject is clearly the light path, made by a train.

I guess I'd have to place Daniel's right on the line. The glint on the rails tells most people there is a railroad in the shot and helps to clarify that the triangle of lights is a locomotive. Not too much guessing involved, but all the other lights distract from the subject.

So to me, and it seems to many who have contributed to this thread, Alex's and John's are on the other side of the line. I.e. Not railroad photos. Good photos, excellent even, but not railroad photos. Clearly the screener's (at least some) and administrators don't agree, but it seems to me by accepting these two shots a precedent has been set. A lot of people who get rejected in the future are going to point to these two shots and say if they can be accepted why not mine.

I'd also stress that my comments, and I believe other's before me, are not criticisms of the photographers, both have a collection of fine images, but of just the fact that the images are on this site.

It also occurs to me that both these photographers may (I stress MAY, don't know their mindsets) be interpreting the large number of views as proof that the shots should have been accepted. I'd point out that there have been many threads on theories on how to generate views. I'd guess that many people clicked on the thumbnail, not because they wanted to see a larger image of what they thought was a great railroad photo, but rather just to try and figure out what they were looking at (I have a shot like that, not terribly proud of it, but I won't give back the clicks).

What it comes down to is: does a small triangle or blob of light (less than 1% of the image) constitute a railroad photo. I think not.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #133
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmonteX

What it comes down to is: does a small triangle or blob of light (less than 1% of the image) constitute a railroad photo. I think not.
Does it really matter what you, or we, or I, or anyone else thinks? Apart from the owners and the screener(s), who's business is it? Are the screeners going to be influenced by the "I am being a steam engine" (and I am being a tea-pot!) thread of ought eight? Is the half backlash going to stop this outrage from occuring again?

Sarcasm aside, I think it is a valid question. Are the screeners going to be influenced by this thread, and others discussing what is and isn't a "valid" railroad picture?

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 AM   #134
DelmonteX

I'll keep this short, because we're risking taking the thread in another direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris crook
Does it really matter what you, or we, or I, or anyone else thinks?
Probably not a lot if any. If enough express a particular opinion and those opinions are expressed eloquently enough, perhaps.

Quote:
Apart from the owners and the screener(s), who's business is it?
To answer with a question, isn't this discussion at least one of the purposes of the forums?

Quote:
Sarcasm aside, I think it is a valid question. Are the screeners going to be influenced by this thread, and others discussing what is and isn't a "valid" railroad picture?
In my opinion, yes, assuming they each have read at least some of this thread. How could they not be? Does that mean I think they'll have read my comments or other's and say "Duh!! Now I understand and I'll never accept another photo like these". No, but something might nag at them in the back of their minds when they have to rule on another "out of the box" or "speck of light equals a train" shot.

Whoops, not as short as I intended.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 AM   #135
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I choose not to care about if it has a train or not. Its a good photo and its on here, should we have more off the wall shots yea, i tend to like them but if i don't i don't look at them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 08-07-2008 at 02:36 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:45 AM   #136
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmonteX

To answer with a question, isn't this discussion at least one of the purposes of the forums?
Of course, and generally it has been a very interesting discussion. I was just wondering how much of a vacuum the forums really are.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #137
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Default For those who wanted this..

This is for those who wanted a "comparison" picture.
Tell me which one do you notice the train in first
A:

which was rejected......

OR

B.

Which is of course the picture in question that was accepted.

Please i said this before. I am not atacking all of Alex Ramos Pictures. 99% of them are really good. I am only atacking this one.

By the way the image i submited was rejected for - Poor Image Quality
which i tried to fix re-submited it and got this message for the picture below

- Poor lighting (Cloudy): Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:31 AM   #138
River Rails Photography
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kopicz
Tell me which one do you notice the train in first
A:

which was rejected......

OR

B.

Which is of course the picture in question that was accepted.

Please i said this before. I am not atacking all of Alex Ramos Pictures. 99% of them are really good. I am only atacking this one.

By the way the image i submited was rejected for - Poor Image Quality
which i tried to fix re-submited it and got this message for the picture below

- Poor lighting (Cloudy): Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.

Jim had better get the popcorn machine back out.

Tell us this..... which is more technically correct, and which is more an unlevel cloudy poorly cropped picture?

Last edited by River Rails Photography; 08-07-2008 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #139
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
Jim had better get the popcorn machine back out.
That is something else that grinds my gears. People wasting my time with useless posts such as "Jim had better get the popcorn machine back out."

If you are going to say something in a railroad forum make it about the f-ing railroad
Old 08-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #140
River Rails Photography
Banned

Quote:
That is something else that grinds my gears. People wasting my time with useless posts such as "Jim had better get the popcorn machine back out."

If you are going to say something in a railroad forum make it about the f-ing railroad

If you are going to say something in a forum, don't complain about other peoples ACCEPTED shots, and complain about your rejected shots.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:42 AM   #141
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:

Ok I will tell you whats wrong with your photo then if you indeed want criticism.

Unlevel, Cloudy, Cropped to tightly, bad angle, part of subject missing. its just not a good photo.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 AM   #142
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
If you are going to say something in a forum, don't complain about other peoples ACCEPTED shots, and complain about your rejected shots.
As Many have said. The forum is for the critisism. I along with others have the f-ing right to do so. But comments like River Rail said is just a waste of everyones time. They come here to find out what others are saying about a photo or a certain topic and see crap like that here. No, my pictures are not railpicture quality. But if the photo that this forum is about is railpictures quality then my pictures definately should be!

Like i said. For all who are reading this. This forum simply started as a forum i was letting steam off on, and i thought it would end with some one telling me to shut the f up, and it has grown in to the most popular forum ever!

And Walter, i respect the critisism.

Last edited by Ben Kopicz; 08-09-2008 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Changing certain words
Old 08-07-2008, 03:45 AM   #143
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

Quote:
Seriously?

How can those even be in the same realm? You are trying to compare apples and elephants. There is no comparison in those shots other than there is a train in them. Thats it. I notice a train in yours first because it takes up the whole frame!

Quote:
I am only atacking this one
Why attack a photographer, or for that fact, his work? Some people chose to push the envelope in what they shoot. Nothing wrong with that. Personally i like to see photos that show a different angle other than a wedgie. That doesn't mean he should have to deal with someone (who out of jealousy or spite) questioning his work.

Quote:
But if the photo that this forum is about is railpictures quality then my pictures definately should be!
Grow up, deal with the fact that it got accepted and move on.

Worry about your own work first before you go criticizing others.

Also, great mastery of the English language.

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos

Last edited by Tgranville; 08-07-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 AM   #144
NSFan14

Man I feel the love in here!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:48 AM   #145
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Just because it is "Rail"Pictures does not mean that every photo of a locomotive no matter how terrible will get one just because its of a 'choo choo train'. Thats not what makes RP "The best railroad photos on the 'net!'" The fact that the contributors to the site are continually raising the bar and pushing the envelope to show every single different side to railroading. A crappy photo of a Dash-9 does not make someone think about the scope of railroading and how small of a part it plays or how cities and railroads are intertwined. I just don't see why anyone would ever want to be known as the owner of that photo that you are comparing to works of art. Sure some fail to see the link to railroading but most can see that both are art in their own ways.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:56 AM   #146
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Man I feel the love in here!
I am sorry. I know i attacked someone else for not having the post about railroading, but this one is darn funny.

Last edited by Ben Kopicz; 08-09-2008 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Changing certain words
Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #147
Joe the Photog

Ben;

The thread would have actually made much more sense and scored many more points in my opinion if you had just said, "Why did this shot get accepted?" Comparing any shot to it, even if it were the greatest railroad shot man has ever seen, does nothing but make you look a little bitter and jealous. The fact that you compared it to the shot you did now just makes it look like you have no clue what you're talking about.

I stand by my opinion that while Alex's shot may be great, it has about as much business on RP as does a picture of my wife's evil little cat.

Joe
Old 08-07-2008, 04:24 AM   #148
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Comparison? pfffft That almost made me fall out of my computer chair. I can understand your frustration though, going out everytime and getting shots you think are good and then come back with a rejection every time. It had to be 5 months before I got one shot on here. I submitted seven and only one was accepted, I eventually got another one from those seven in a month later wth some work. Pretty much all my work gets rejected before it gets accepted, I have had 2 or 3 get in with no problem at all. As i have said before I personally do not like either shot, I do not consider them train shots but they are great photographs otherwise. But instead of complaining about why somomes shots get accepted and yours dont, look at the reason. It is either you or your camera, sometimes the equipment, most of the time both.

Last edited by Watain; 08-07-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 AM   #149
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

As for a comparison between the two......

Yes, you can see the train in your photo first, but it's not just about a train. Good photos have something in the photo other than a train to attract interest and make people want to look at them.

Think of what you put in the picture as a story. Your story would read a train came through. Meanwhile, in Alex's picture the story would read something like As the fog rolls in and darkness settles in over Oakland's Desert Yard the train slips out to get their journey started.

Like the picture or not it tells more of a story.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 AM   #150
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

I'm letting this go for now, because it's an interesting discussion, but please don't let it get out of hand.

Ben: Language like that is not appropriate for a public forum. Consider this a warning. One more outburst like that and you'll be gone for a long, long time.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote