Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Default Camera & Lens

Does anyone know of any type of site where you can select a particular camera and then a lens and view sample shots from the selection? I know it probably sounds like I'm asking for a lot but if anyone knows of a site like this I'd like to know about it.

Thanks!
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
daveedmo

I would say http://www.dpreview.com is one of the best for comparisons. Remember, the lens is far more important than the camera body; you'll build up a stock of lenses that'll work far after your first digi-body has packed in.

As a rule of thumb, I would look firstly at Nikon or Canon (I use Nikon, but I'm not biased) as they are by far the most prevalent at the present. Their products are two widespread to disappear in the future. Olympus and Pentax have been around for a while, but aren't just as cutting edge as the big two. Sony recently bought over Minolta, and have got good reviews, but aren't primarily a camera company and may re-sell some time in the future.

Main thing is, take your time, listen to other's view of experiences, and get something that feels right to you.

Just my 0.02...
daveedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

I guess I had overlooked the lens section of DP Review as I normally go there to check on cameras.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Why do you need to see it with a particular camera? I don't get what your trying to see. Focal range I guess makes the most sense otherwise everything else is dependent on the person taking the camera, like exposure, IQ, apeature.

www.flickr.com has many groups devoted to just particular cameras and lens which will be a start.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

You can sort of do that on Pbase.
Click on this link to one of my shots:
http://www.pbase.com/savethewave/image/112002368
Then below the picture you can click on the camera or lens and see other photos taken with those.

You can also search by camera:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

I like :http://www.photozone.de/

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 AM   #7
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
Why do you need to see it with a particular camera? I don't get what your trying to see. Focal range I guess makes the most sense otherwise everything else is dependent on the person taking the camera, like exposure, IQ, apeature.

www.flickr.com has many groups devoted to just particular cameras and lens which will be a start.
Because I'm looking at a particular lens and have read negative things about it and lots of positives. I'm trying to see if I can noticeably see the negative things people are saying about it.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung View Post
Because I'm looking at a particular lens and have read negative things about it and lots of positives. I'm trying to see if I can noticeably see the negative things people are saying about it.
I meant, why do you want to see that lens on a particular body. Are there negitives for certain bodies and that lens? I am sure there is a flickr group just on that lens, so there will be many different photos from different people to use and judge. dpreview with give the techy side, which I am sure you are well aware of.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
I meant, why do you want to see that lens on a particular body. Are there negitives for certain bodies and that lens? I am sure there is a flickr group just on that lens, so there will be many different photos from different people to use and judge. dpreview with give the techy side, which I am sure you are well aware of.
I see your point. The lens body and lens wouldn't make much of a difference since I'm only trying to research the lens.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung View Post
I see your point. The lens body and lens wouldn't make much of a difference since I'm only trying to research the lens.
Were you able to find what you were looking for? I need to get some research done on some zoom lens' in the 400mm up area. If anyone with a Sigma 150-500 on here has any thoughts let me know.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
Diamond D

Take all lens and camera reviews with a big grain of salt. For example, on dpreview.com, go to the lens forums and you'll see tons of "I got a bad copy of this $2000 professional lens" and they'll post pictures of a supposed "test" that shows this lens isn't working. But then you'll find out that the person was shooting handheld shots at 200mm with a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second, and complaining about soft photos. I think user technique is behind a great deal of those types of reviews. It's also hard to judge a lot of lens characteristics when an image has been resized, sharpened, and saved for web use.

You'll also find plenty of posts which directly contradict each other about other characteristics such as focus time, weight, etc.

These days, problems like chromatic aberration, moderate distortion, and vignetting can be corrected with the click of a mouse in Photoshop.

Obviously, you want the highest possible image quality you can afford, but don't let a few bad reviews sour you on a lens, try to take the average, and then order from some place like B&H with a good return policy. And there's always renting!
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
Take all lens and camera reviews with a big grain of salt. For example, on dpreview.com, go to the lens forums and you'll see tons of "I got a bad copy of this $2000 professional lens" and they'll post pictures of a supposed "test" that shows this lens isn't working. But then you'll find out that the person was shooting handheld shots at 200mm with a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second, and complaining about soft photos. I think user technique is behind a great deal of those types of reviews. It's also hard to judge a lot of lens characteristics when an image has been resized, sharpened, and saved for web use.

You'll also find plenty of posts which directly contradict each other about other characteristics such as focus time, weight, etc.

These days, problems like chromatic aberration, moderate distortion, and vignetting can be corrected with the click of a mouse in Photoshop.

Obviously, you want the highest possible image quality you can afford, but don't let a few bad reviews sour you on a lens, try to take the average, and then order from some place like B&H with a good return policy. And there's always renting!
Very well said! The fact is, most of the folk doing these "very technical" reviews of lenses are trying to be rocket scientists. If a DxO bench test or a Nyquist test reveals some contrast/color issues, you or I probably cant see it effectively anyways. I will say this tho, a soft lens that is repeatably soft at all stops and focal lengths should be avoided! You will pull your hair out trying to sharpen the dang photos!
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote