Old 06-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren
Angry Dust

Here is a lens I purchased recently and I am a bit surprised to find dust down inside on the glass. You can clearly see the three white specks along with some other crud off to the right. (Screeners here is the source of a few of my recent rejections for dust spots.) This lens wasn't cheap and I do my best to take care of it and it makes me wonder how it gets in there? My next question is how do I get it out, or should I say how much is it going to cost me to get it out?
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Ween

Warranty?

I don't think the 17-55mm is "sealed" like some L-series lenses, so it's not impervious...
Old 06-03-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
Warren

Well I did buy the extended warranty so I hope they cover this. We will find out.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:29 AM   #4
Frederick

I wouldn't worry about it. They don't even show up on images. (From my experience, anyways.)

Edit: I forgot to mention that the dust spots that show up on your images are almost always on the camera's image sensor.

Flickr Account

Last edited by Frederick; 06-03-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

You won't notice it. Its too close to be in any focus at all, and too far away to leave a shadow on your sensor (like sensor dust).
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

That sucks hard core. I beat you there, sort of. My Canon PowerShot A620 suffered some damage when it was 3 days old. So I sent it into Canon to get fixed. They had to take apart the lens in order to repair it. I never noticed, but theres a small finger print or smudge in the lower right corner of the lens that blurs the lower left corner of every picture I have.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #7
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
That sucks hard core. I beat you there, sort of. My Canon PowerShot A620 suffered some damage when it was 3 days old. So I sent it into Canon to get fixed. They had to take apart the lens in order to repair it. I never noticed, but theres a small finger print or smudge in the lower right corner of the lens that blurs the lower left corner of every picture I have.
Mike--

Was the camera dropped or what exactly happened? Louis's A520 has some minor body damage (on the corners, especially) from being dropped on gravel but it doesn't affect the functionality of the camera. Sounds like yours might have been more severe.

On a different note, I have not run into too many RP members using the Canon A-series like me and Louis, so, would you happen to know the best way to clean the lenses? Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough in the book, but I have never found a recommended way.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
SamD

A dust blower and a microfiber cloath should be fine for just about any lens. But don't go crazy with the blower... to much air can damage the lens.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonetrain
You won't notice it. Its too close to be in any focus at all, and too far away to leave a shadow on your sensor (like sensor dust).
Yes, agree. Everything I have ever read says a bit of dust inside the lens is simply irrelevant.

Congrats on the lens, I'm trying out one now myself. Have you used the IS yet when shooting trains? Does it interfere with moving trains? I have wondered how IS affects things if the train is not a major element of the image, like when one is doing a scenic that includes a train.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 PM   #10
Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Yes, agree. Everything I have ever read says a bit of dust inside the lens is simply irrelevant.

Congrats on the lens, I'm trying out one now myself. Have you used the IS yet when shooting trains? Does it interfere with moving trains? I have wondered how IS affects things if the train is not a major element of the image, like when one is doing a scenic that includes a train.
It has always worked well for me...

Flickr Account
Old 06-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
Warren

Quote:

Thanks and yes I just leave the IS on all the time. To answer your question these photos were taken with that lens.
Image © Warren
PhotoID: 189866
Photograph © Warren

Image © Warren
PhotoID: 189480
Photograph © Warren
Old 06-13-2007, 01:32 AM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Thanks and yes I just leave the IS on all the time. To answer your question these photos were taken with that lens.
Thanks! I am hoping to get similar results - it is easy when going about with my son not to have a mono or tripod and if the train results are improved, that is a bonus. The primary reason to get the f/2.8 is for in-home flexibility in shooting (over my two fixed focals) and then the IS is an add-on (over the Tamron 17-50) to have for travel and such. If I can get the IS benefit with (some) moving trains that is gravy.

Have you tried a simple relatively frame-filling wedgie of a moving train with the IS on?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:30 AM   #13
Frederick

Quote:
Have you tried a simple relatively frame-filling wedgie of a moving train with the IS on?
The only things that will affect IS performance are longer focal lengths and slower shutter speeds.

Flickr Account
Old 06-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #14
Switched out

IS is brilliant, don't leave home without it. I have two Len's that have IS and have found them everything they are cracked up to be.

The only down side to having a lens with IS is the cost but after getting past that hurdle I haven't looked back. The only thing you have to remember is to turn it off when you are going for a panning shot.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Image © Warren
PhotoID: 189866
Photograph © Warren
That's an awesome shot. I missed it the first time around. It looks very U.K.ish!

Joe
Old 06-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #16
CG_F45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
That's an awesome shot. I missed it the first time around. It looks very U.K.ish!

Joe
Ditto- If it weren't for the Ford 500 and Chevy Cobalt (?) on the street, and that BNSF power, I would say this is from another country!

Warren, needless to say, great shot! I too missed it when it came in, and now I am glad I saw it! It inspires me to head to downtown Chicago and shoot the trains mingling with the architecture!

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:41 AM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched out
IS is brilliant, don't leave home without it. I have two Len's that have IS and have found them everything they are cracked up to be.

The only down side to having a lens with IS is the cost but after getting past that hurdle I haven't looked back. The only thing you have to remember is to turn it off when you are going for a panning shot.
I agree. The only time the IS isn't on is when I have the lens mounted to my tripod. Other than that, it's on all the time and I don't even think about turning it off.

Also, on the newer Canon lenses (and I'm sure others as well), there is a mode for IS while doing panning shots.

My 100-400 lens has a little dust inside the lens...no idea how it got there. Regardless, it'll never show up in any images. Heck, I can even shoot through a chain link fence and the lens see right "through" the links, so I doubt a little dust is ever going to matter.

Last edited by JimThias; 06-15-2007 at 12:44 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote