Old 01-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #26
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
No matter how bad a shot is, I will never delete it. I spend a lot of time using sites like RP to scout for future trips, so every shot, no matter no bad it is, shows me what the light is like, or if there is a fence along the track, etc. Plus, the ease of the search function on RP is light years ahead of other sites like RRPictureArchives.

- Chris
Chris, you amaze me with your RP searching ablitities.
Following your example, I have been able to find things here much more quickly. Thanks.

John, I too have thought of deleting my dogs so that I can keep my view count up. So far though, I haven't been able to pull the trigger!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #27
KevinM

Quote:
No matter how bad a shot is, I will never delete it. I spend a lot of time using sites like RP to scout for future trips, so every shot, no matter no bad it is, shows me what the light is like, or if there is a fence along the track, etc. Plus, the ease of the search function on RP is light years ahead of other sites like RRPictureArchives.

- Chris
Ditto on both.

If one of my pictures is a dog quality-wise, I try to make a note to get around to submitting an improved version. I still keep a copy of the original, however. It helps me see my progress...or lack thereof. Some view-dogs look technically OK. Like the trolley shot, the viewers just did a ho-hum on them.

I also spend a lot of time looking at RP before trips. It helps me see what's possible. A lack of good pictures from a given site can also be helpful....in preparing me for frustration!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #28
N. Herring

Heres Mine, been in the DB for a little over 2 years and only has 505 views

Image © Nathan Herring
PhotoID: 215539
Photograph © Nathan Herring
N. Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #29
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
A lack of good pictures from a given site can also be helpful....in preparing me for frustration!
Or it just means no one's had the good fortune of covering it well. There's a few trips I have in mind already where I am excited at doubling RP's coverage of the area.

- Chris
Old 01-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #30
Northern Limits

Default Still a puppy

Here is mine.
No surprise. Being CN Dash-9's in b&w, I expected a low view count.
Image © Jim Dorst
PhotoID: 309025
Photograph © Jim Dorst

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Northern Limits; 01-07-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #31
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Is it appropriate to delete our dogs? Or should we live with them for the world to see. I have never really thought about that. If it is a post processing problem I have resubmitted a lot of images with hopefully better versions. I wonder how many people ask to have images deleted?
Well, I wouldn't THINK of submitting them today. That's why I want them gone.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #32
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Oh my word, yes. If RRPA had a better search function it would be loads more valuable.
Uhhh, no, not really - you'd still be sorting through mounds of crap to find that one gem or even useful shot. Back half a year ago I was trying to scout Fremont, OH on RRPA since I wasn't very familiar with it despite it being not far away. 567 pictures later (at current count) and probably an hour or more wasted I still had virtually no useful information. I got better scouting info using Bing.maps...

If you look at the Fremont pictures on here now I'm almost positive none of the locations in those half dozen shots are represented on RRPA.

Regards,
Michael

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #33
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Is it appropriate to delete our dogs? Or should we live with them for the world to see. I have never really thought about that. If it is a post processing problem I have resubmitted a lot of images with hopefully better versions. I wonder how many people ask to have images deleted?
I regularly go through and remove photos. In fact, at this point I would say I've probably had more shots taken down than I currently have on the site. I generally take down shots of uninteresting angles - i.e. wedgies, head on shots, etc. Removing photos goes hand in hand with regularly reuploading better edits of shots I deem worthy - I would estimate about 1/5 to 1/4 of all my database photos prior to 2009 are reedits.

When I first started I had a goal of having a 1,000 shots in the database, with a certain percentage of those being 1,000+ viewers. In the last year or so I've found myself caring very little about numbers and instead viewing RP as a way to show off my work.

Last edited by jdirelan87; 01-08-2010 at 03:59 AM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 AM   #34
DelmonteX

Here's mine:

Image © Steve Carter
PhotoID: 303891
Photograph © Steve Carter

I like it, but apparently not too many viewers do.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #35
WembYard

Food for though here. Looking through my shots, there are some on there that I would not submit today but, like Dennis, I just can't bring myself to ask for them to be deleted. Similarly, there are some that could do with being re-processed but I never seem to be able to find the time to dig out the originals out to do anything about it.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #36
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Quote:

- Chris
How can you say this? Scouting is important, but not as important as "continuous improvement" or "showing your best" or "being selective." I've always felt that good trumps bad, and there is no need to waste time on bad.

RRPA is great for scouting. Their minimal standards allow you to find lots of photos that show just how poorly a location can be represented. The whole point of railpictures is to show the "best photography." If you feel that it's important to see "every shot, no matter how bad it is," then we'd better dismiss the screeners and open the floodgates.

Or ... how about not? I'd suggest that those who feel they have "dogs" in their collections should contact the admins to have their poor photos removed.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #37
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
How can you say this? Scouting is important, but not as important as "continuous improvement" or "showing your best" or "being selective." I've always felt that good trumps bad, and there is no need to waste time on bad.

RRPA is great for scouting. Their minimal standards allow you to find lots of photos that show just how poorly a location can be represented. The whole point of railpictures is to show the "best photography." If you feel that it's important to see "every shot, no matter how bad it is," then we'd better dismiss the screeners and open the floodgates.

Or ... how about not? I'd suggest that those who feel they have "dogs" in their collections should contact the admins to have their poor photos removed.
Hi John,

I think folks may have differing opinions as to what is meant by "bad" or to use John West's term: "dogs". Some folks may look at a poor quality shot as a "dog" , whereas others may look at a low view-count shot the same way.

I happen to subscribe to the latter definition. If I've got anything in the data base that's poor quality, and I'm able to recognize that fact, I will typically re-work the shot and submit a better version. I've done that with a few pictures and I have a short to-do list to fix a few more. On the other hand, I've got some shots that I think are decent quality and I happen to like them, but for one reason or another, they just bombed in the view department. In those cases, I have no intention of asking the Admins to spend time taking them down. For example, the trolley shot:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 258209
Photograph © Kevin Madore

It's been up for well over a year with a hit-count in the 400 range. It's no great shakes, but I think it's a pretty shot of an unusual subject and the quality is decent. I put it in the "dog" category, but I'm not sorry I posted it.

Quality is something I can control. Views unfortunately, are not.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #38
jnohallman

Here are my dogs, viewcount-wise:

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 298832
Photograph © Jonathan Hallman

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 277917

Neither is an unusual composition, but I don't believe either is a horrible photo. As far as the second goes, it's been suggested that the low views are because it's CSX - does anyone here think there's a general trend towards lower view counts for CSX photos?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #39
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 277917

Neither is an unusual composition, but I don't believe either is a horrible photo. As far as the second goes, it's been suggested that the low views are because it's CSX - does anyone here think there's a general trend towards lower view counts for CSX photos?

Jon
I've not noticed such a trend. I like your shot, nice colors. I have a similar shot, an off-to-the-side placement, also lower in views than I had hoped. Hmm...

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 300453
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #40
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
RRPA is great for scouting. Their minimal standards allow you to find lots of photos that show just how poorly a location can be represented.

Man, that's the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote