Old 02-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #26
Darryl Rule

G rated? How soon we forget some of the shots on Jetphotos.com. Shoot away!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #27
Railfan Ohio

Quote:
... but let's keep this G-rated!
Hey that's what the personal collection's for! He can post the rest here for us to see.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:13 PM   #28
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

It seems that Mother Nature was paying attention to what I wrote in this thread and has set me up with an almost perfect situation to get away from the norm. A storm has dumped 6+ inches of snow with a few more expected here in NJ. Even better is that this is a predictable storm and will move out by Sunday morning leaving nothing but fresh snow, blue skies, and sun. Even better for me is that the nearest steamers are out in Strasburg some 2.5 hours away leaving me no choice but to shoot freight or NJT (not feeling it). Being that it will be Sunday I will take my usual course of action and head to the BR&W (email pending) and get to chase a bright red GP9 through half a foot of snow in perfect light. With the longer days this will also give me a chance to shoot some NS which may get me in the groove of actually sitting and waiting for something and/or shooting some scenery. Can't wait!

P.S. G-rated?!?! All I'm gonna say about that.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #29
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Geez! Some people have all the luck.

I tallied up the women I know on campus, and it fit on one hand (four). Of those approximately one is single and the other is an unknown (in a class discussion with me). The other two for several reasons are ineligible. I think I need to get out more.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:53 AM   #30
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Geez! Some people have all the luck.

I tallied up the women I know on campus, and it fit on one hand (four). Of those approximately one is single and the other is an unknown (in a class discussion with me). The other two for several reasons are ineligible. I think I need to get out more.
I think you need to go to a different school! Just kidding, obviously.

This past fall the ratio of incoming freshman girls to boys coming into my campus at Berkeley College was roughly 64% to 36%. Of course, that is what happens when your school specializes in business with fashion as a major. I'm a business management major however so don't get the wrong impression.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:55 AM   #31
Flowing

I know how you feel Joe. Sometimes it seems more like a chore than a hobby.

I'm a railfan first and a photographer second, so when I get stuck in a photographic rut or just get plain fed up with it, I usually go out and watch trains without taking photos, especially at night.

When it comes to this hobby (and maybe all hobbies), a change in how you involve yourself can lead to a renewal of your passion. As of late, I've really been sickened at the lack of diversity and soulfulness on my local Class I lines, and it's getting to where I feel like I'm taking the same pictures over again on different days. So I went up to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga and took the rules test, and will be part of the train crew on their local trips this year. I begin as a brakeman and hope to achieve steam locomotive fireman by the end of the year. Being that steam is what got me into the hobby in the first place, and where my true passion for railroading is, this has re-ignited my passion for this hobby. Sure, I'll be taking less photos, but I will be actively involved in something I've always loved. And, as a museum volunteer, I can keep it as a hobby (making a career out of railroading has never appealed to me, I'm content in a 9-to-5 work world).

Anyway, this is just an example of what I did to kickstart my passion for railroading after it started feeling more like a chore than a hobby.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:27 AM   #32
Craig Walker

I'm old enough to remember when there were a lot more railroads and a wider variety of motive power (and when trains looked like trains and not a string of highway trailers). But...

Even back in the 1970s and 1980s, I remember hearing fans gripe about how all the railroads seem to purchase are SD40-2s and the variety is gone. I even succumbed to it a bit myself from time to time - I remember thinking that UP was boring because of all the Centennials!

My point is that, yes, sometimes it can seem redundant out there, but keep in mind that change can occur faster than you might expect. And, of course, if the trains all look alike, then start shooting more scenic shots or angles you might not have considered before - get creative and then what's on the point of the train isn't quite as important.
Craig Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:17 AM   #33
nanshant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
This past fall the ratio of incoming freshman girls to boys coming into my campus at Berkeley College was roughly 64% to 36%.

Consider yourself lucky Andrew. Here at Lehigh my incoming class was roughly the opposite of yours. Thankfully most of the females are good looking and eligible .

Nick
nanshant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:12 AM   #34
WembYard

Joe, I know what you mean about the processing....life seemed to be a lot simpler when you sent the film off and got back a nice batch of slides or prints a few days later.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:47 AM   #35
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
Joe, I know what you mean about the processing....life seemed to be a lot simpler when you sent the film off and got back a nice batch of slides or prints a few days later.
What about black & white? I'd rush home from railfanning, run down to the basement darkroom, and set to work. Hours later, I'd emerge with one or two pics I liked and a slew I hated.

I'm with both of you though, the post processing... sucks. Sorry. I just don't enjoy it. But I do enjoy the results, so I do it.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #36
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Guess I'm the oddball, I actually enjoy the post processing almost, if not as much as I do taking the photos. But then I see photography as a passion more than I do a hobby.

Nevertheless, I hear these complaints often from alot of railfan photogs that feel like they are handcuffed to their subject. Personally, I've never heard such a line of ridiculous bullshit in my life.

By virtue of being a railfan, you do happen to travel into parts of your locale or even on vacations that most people miss as they pass 40 exits on an interstate somewhere.

Instead of worrying about where and when you'll catch the next train, take a few minutes to look around once in a while. You'll be surprised at some of the stuff you'll see that may rate a happy snap.

As my signature says, "It's just a damn train son." So think of your facet of the photography hobby with a broader sense of enjoyment, and you'll be better off. There are other benefits to this hobby than just getting photos on RP.net or elsewhere. The social interactions, the time away from the house, the exercise, experiences, and the list goes on . . . .

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #37
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
Nevertheless, I hear these complaints often from alot of railfan photogs that feel like they are handcuffed to their subject. Personally, I've never heard such a line of ridiculous bullshit in my life.
Hey, Sean;

Think you can help me explain to my 8 year old son what you meant by that word? I think of this as a family forum. Maybe you can think of another word to use if you can do that for those of us with young eyes. Not to mention the few 14 and 15 year old posters we have here.

Joe
Old 02-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #38
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I'm glad this thread has generated some conversation. I guess even the "Boo hoo" comment was relevant and made me think. Normally I like post processing. And of course digital is still king. I've been going through old slides lately and I've got some I want scanned in. Now I just have to find a place nearby or a local photographer that knows how to scan them in, knows how to do it right and will actually do it.

So, no, I don't miss these days either. (Although I am hopefully getting my Elan 7 back this weekend!)

I do photography every day. If it's not still photography for personal use, it's video photography for work. I'm seven days into a 12 day stretch without a day off. I'm just feeling a little boxed in. Next weekend, we're going to revisit Charlotte Light Rail, so that will be fun.

And, Nick, are you dreaming?

Joe
Old 02-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #39
Ween

Quote:
I guess even the "Boo hoo" comment was relevant and made me think.
A lot of folks tend to focus on what they DON'T have instead of being grateful for what they DO have. I don't have a better camera. I don't have good train movements in my area. I don't have nice scenery to shoot with. Bunk! (<-is that more PG-rated for your kids eyes, Joe?). Be grateful for what you do have because there's people out there wishing they had what you had...

Last edited by Ween; 02-23-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #40
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassfan3

So, yesterday, I walk into a lounge on campus to do a little studying and recognize this [rather attractive!] chick from the gym. Then I look down, and as her desktop wallpaper is a recent POTW from RP. (GASP!) Needless to say, I had to ask about it. She says something along the lines of "...yeah, I love trains, I don't take pics, but I love to watch. I live by the tracks near school..." I introduce myself, and she says "Oh my God, you're the one with the pics this week from the cemetery across the street from my appartment!" Long story short, it's my 22nd today, and guess who volunteered her appartment to throw a party...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
And, Nick, are you dreaming?

Miracles DO happen, Joe!

(Nick, that's not a knock on your dating skills...just saying, you happened upon a VERY rare opportunity. Lucky!)
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #41
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
A lot of folks tend to focus on what they DON'T have instead of being grateful for what they DO have. I don't have a better camera. I don't have good train movements in my area. I don't have nice scenery to shoot with. Bunk! (<-is that more PG-rated for your kids eyes, Joe?). Be grateful for what you do have because there's people out there wishing they had what you had...
So true. . . the biggest shame in it, is that the folks that do have the "benefit" of a busy mainline a short distance away always go out and take the SAME photo, over and over again, and then complain because of a lack of variety.

Oddly, it's usually the same person(s) that would turn down the opportunity to walk a mile or two off the beaten path rather than risk missing another shot of a DASH 9 at the same spot as their last 25 images.

As I said above, there are other benefits to going out railfanning than just the trains, you've just got to open your eyes and take notice.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #42
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I think you need to go to a different school! Just kidding, obviously.

This past fall the ratio of incoming freshman girls to boys coming into my campus at Berkeley College was roughly 64% to 36%. Of course, that is what happens when your school specializes in business with fashion as a major. I'm a business management major however so don't get the wrong impression.
Mine's about 50/50 for boys and girls. Mostly it's a matter of my interpersonal skills and the fact that I don't drink/party and go to the 16th worst partying school in the nation.

Next week is going to suck especially, though. It's "Unofficial St. Patrick's Day," or simply "Unofficial." The whole point of the holiday is to wake up early and start drinking, and keep drinking, and go to class drunk. And to top it off, it happens on a Friday this year, meaning the holiday gets extended onto Saturday. There's going to be armed patrols in my dorm, non-student visitors are banned, and everyone is going to be drunk.

My plan once my one class for the day is over is to go down to the basement and hide in the model train layout for the day.

And, if you think I'm overplaying it, here's an article from the local paper in 2005 on the subject.
http://media.www.dailyillini.com/med...d-887247.shtml

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #43
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
I have attached two aerial photos I snapped on our recent trip to Los Angeles--weather and lighting were absolutely perfect for shooting, so I shot away!!!
Those are real similar to mine I took in October, too funny. But for me wildflower season is approaching quickly and we've had more rain this year than the last two years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07_1003 Over America - Dave Toussaint IMG_2373-1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	2531   Click image for larger version

Name:	07_1003 Over America - Dave Toussaint IMG_2385-1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	2532  
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan

Last edited by socalrailfan; 02-23-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #44
amtrakboy

Dave,
The first one I took was as we were flying over the Grand Canyon at 36,000 ft., about 15 minutes east of the Las Vegas area. The second one was of Marble Canyon and the Colorado River, which is about the easternmost boundary of Grand Canyon National Park, in northeastern AZ/southeastern Utah. Both were taken with my Nikon D200, using a 17-55mm AF-S, VR lens.

Last edited by amtrakboy; 02-23-2008 at 10:07 PM.
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #45
foss0244

Send a message via AIM to foss0244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Next week is going to suck especially, though. It's "Unofficial St. Patrick's Day," or simply "Unofficial." The whole point of the holiday is to wake up early and start drinking, and keep drinking, and go to class drunk. And to top it off, it happens on a Friday this year, meaning the holiday gets extended onto Saturday. There's going to be armed patrols in my dorm, non-student visitors are banned, and everyone is going to be drunk.
Hey, where I go to school, it's still a massive party school, but recently the campus and town has died on the weekends. I went out on a Saturday night to one of the most popular bar/nightclubs and found the place to be deserted. The big party night is Thursday so we got "Thirsty Thursday". There's also some stupid name for almost every other day, oh, and we can't forget "Sober Sunday". At least starting back in January, the school was nice enough to get the local Metro Bus to provide late night "drunk bus" service from the downtown bars to campus and beyond for off campus students like me. There are also tons of girls that go to this school, the problem is trying to find one that likes trains. The University of Minnesota actually has a school sponsored railroad club. Wonder if any girls are members? Maybe my school should start a club like this..