Old 03-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Craig Walker

Default Stolen Photos Solution?

As many of you know, several hundred photos were recently stolen from RailPhotos.net and posted to another site (in this case Flicker.com). Thanks in large part to the moderators of this site, the pages with the stolen photos were shut down. (Thanks, Chris and Chris!)

Yesterday, I received the April 2008 issue of "Popular Photography" magazine, and in the letters section someone asked about ways to prevent photo theft of photos posted on the web. It turns out that there are several services that can find images that have been "lifted." These are image recognition services that search billions of web pages looking for the photos that you upload to them to be checked. The sites mentioned by the magazine are:

www.PicScout.com has legal partners and collection agencies that will go after unauthorized users of your photos, starting at $15 per month.

www.Digimarc.com lets you place covert digital watermarks on your images and codes them so users can link back to you for licensing information, starting at $79.00 per year.

www.Attributor.com is currently signing up beta testers for its new image-tracking service (it already offers this service for text), and the expected price will be as low as $10 per month later in 2008. This service will have the ability to delete your stolen images from non-paying websites anywhere in the world!

I thought you might be interested...
Craig Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

The royal 'we' definitely are, and I'm sure the rest of the forum is too
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote