Old 03-18-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
Freericks
Met Fan

Default Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh

Scanning away, just discovered an entire trip to New York (back in 1998 ) was all shot on Kodak Gold 800. The pictures are so grainy they look like sand paintings.

This trip included the last days of LIRR PowerPack FAs and Fs, and a street running derailment in Brooklyn on the Cross Harbor RR.

I am/was such an idiot.

Okay... I'm done now. Crawling back into my hole.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I know how you feel...
My favorite story is when I went down to Nebraska - Everything to North Platte including 2816, 9647, and unpatched everythings were on a roll of film that I didn't wind on properly.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
Scanning away, just discovered an entire trip to New York (back in 1998 ) was all shot on Kodak Gold 800. The pictures are so grainy they look like sand paintings.
Could be worse...
I shot a scene with the Conrail E-8's at dusk leaving 30th Street Station in Philly with the skyline behind them. Problem was, they were running late and by the time they appeared, my ISO 200 needed to be ISO 800! No grain, just blur!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Not the same level here, thankfully, but I once shot a roll of slide film that included a neat all CEFX bluebird lash up on CSXT. I sent it away and when it came back, the lab had processed it as print film. Totally ruined everything. And they still tried to charge me for it. What's worse is that I wrote "E6 processing" on the bag with the roll inside.

Now that I shoot digital, when things get screwed up, at lest I know who to bitch out!

Joe
Old 03-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

I do find it amazing that past mistakes can continue to haunt us.

No wonder it's really cool to find shots that are worthy of posting here. There are just so many things that can have gone wrong in trying to get them.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
LSRC Railfan

I once sent a roll of film into Wal-Mart. Some of the pictures included pictures of one of the last runs of HR412 698 on the Lake State, shots from Ossineke, shots of an NS local around Delray Junction, and photos from a Michigan football game. Out of all the photos only the one of a Canada goose at Gallup park was the only photo that was developed. Wal-Mart told me all the other photos they ruined.
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
K4driver

i once took some shots at the WM senic railroad in 2003 maybe. and when they came back it was double filmed (where there are two subjects in the picture, one apearing ghostly)
K4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
Mark Rosnick

Back in '89 or '90 went on a family vacation and was shooting Kodak Ektapress C41 color neg film at the time. Spent a day along the water level route while my wife and son visited relatives..didn't think it was proper to process personel film at the newspaper, so I sent it out to a photo lab I'd used for years. The 10 rolls I sent them were processed as b&w...they thought it was Tri-X so it was processed in b&w chemistry. Needless to say nothing came out, and all I got was a note from the lab...Sorry and replacement Kodak Gold 100 film.
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #9
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks

This trip included the last days of LIRR PowerPack FAs and Fs, and a street running derailment in Brooklyn on the Cross Harbor RR.

I am/was such an idiot.

Okay... I'm done now. Crawling back into my hole.
Ouch. Isn't hind sight a wonderful thing?

I dug up some '70s pictures of BC Rail. Couldn't find the negatives so I scanned the pics. The software brought them out beautifully.
One problem: on that 70's matte paper the scans came out looking like they had been printed on bubble wrap. Oh, if only I had them printed on glossy paper

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
cometv

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
I know how you feel...
My favorite story is when I went down to Nebraska - Everything to North Platte including 2816, 9647, and unpatched everythings were on a roll of film that I didn't wind on properly.
My one and only trip to Harismus Cove yard in 1983, in the shadows of the twin towers, wound up on the pressure plate of my SRT-102. I started getting a sinking feeling when I "rewound" the K64 and heard that familiar clicking sound far too early. The sinking feeling hit home when I went to pick up my slides and among those familiar rectangular yellow boxes was an unfamiliar square one, with my name on it.

And my one and only trip to the Maryland Midland in 1986, with a side trip to Conrail's Rutherford yard, that roll of K64 got processed and sent back to my dorm at Penn State. PSU didn't bother to forward it to me when I left, so those shots are history. I distinctly remember wading in a foot of snow in the Rutherford classification yard to get a shot of an old B unit C-liner Conrail used for some MOW purpose that was stored there and it used to drive me crazy that I couldn't find the slides in my collection.

cometv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

I've done the film didn't catch too, after chasing a light engine move of CNJ RS3s and Lehigh Valley end-cab switchers on the old Camden and Amboy (like I'll ever see that again). Then, I shot GG1s and E33s on the NEC. I still remember the film going to frame 25, and frame 26... and convincing myself that was okay, it must have been a 36 exposure roll, then I hit frame 37, and frame 38....

Another bozo move of mine, after discovering my slides of Conrail's T6s in Elizabethport Yard were blurry, I drove all the way down there again to reshoot them all as they were days from going to the scrapper, taking special care to fix the focus. That time, there was film in the camera, but I lost the roll after taking it out. So I have the blurry ones, I don't have the good ones. That roll is probably still somewhere in the house I grew up in (or crushed when my dad's 1968 Valiant got junked).

As an aside, since the original post, I've found four more rolls of 800 asa negatives. Lots of neat shots, basically useless (at least the rest of the rolls were local--)

Last edited by Freericks; 03-19-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
trainboysd40

I can say I've never used a roll of 800 ISO film. Ever.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
lock4244

Worst thing I can recall doing is waiting until the end of 2006 to put down the SLR and pick up the DSLR. What was I thinking!

OK, I used to shoot with a pair of Nikon F3 SLR's and I with near complete devotion would leave a "flag" on them to denote if they held a roll of film or were empty. Near complete devotion. I opened one once to load a roll of K64 to find exposed film in it. I opened that thing for just a second, but got the film back from the developer with a few shots of a CN freight in what looked like the flash of a nuclear detonation. Ooops!

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
Switched out

What one needs is one of these jiggers
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:22 AM   #15
WisconsinCentral

"and convincing myself that was okay, it must have been a 36 exposure roll, then I hit frame 37, and frame 38...."

I did the EXACT same thing. Since we are all sharing the film horror stories, I'll pitch in.

I went out with shooting with my uncle one day, and we caught a pair of SOO SD60s at Cardigan Jct. I took a few shots, and since he was a dispatcher for CP at the time, I got to ride around the yard when they were switching. After that, and my fill of shots, we went to catch up to CP Train 290, which I shot at Crystal, and Shoreham. After this, the engineer took me all the way from Shoreham to the East end of Dunn yard. Along the ride, I thought I was out of film, but I took a few shots, and they kept winding and winding...... I went home not even thinking to shoot after 36 shots, as I thought I was done. Well, I got home, and started to try to wind it up to take it out, and nothing wound..... In that day only I shot a brand new UP SD70M, cab shots, SOO SD60s, and plenty of WC stuff that I shot before that particular day. That was definately one of the worst mistakes in my photography so far, and It kills me to think what I did see and dont remember. Luckily, my uncle shot everything I did pretty much, so he gave me his shots of the day.

Next....

Alec
Old 03-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #16
ssw9662

While I can't say that I fortunately haven't messed up anything with my camera or film to miss any foreign/rare power, I do regret not switching to slide film earlier and taking even just basic photography classes as soon as I started out. I taking photos started eight years ago, and most of my earlier shots of engines that are long gone today came out mediocre at best. Things such as B23-7's on the point of intermodals and foreign units such as WC SD45's all vanished just before I really started to grasp the concept of photography.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #17
cometv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
Worst thing I can recall doing is waiting until the end of 2006 to put down the SLR and pick up the DSLR. What was I thinking!

OK, I used to shoot with a pair of Nikon F3 SLR's and I with near complete devotion would leave a "flag" on them to denote if they held a roll of film or were empty. Near complete devotion. I opened one once to load a roll of K64 to find exposed film in it. I opened that thing for just a second, but got the film back from the developer with a few shots of a CN freight in what looked like the flash of a nuclear detonation. Ooops!
Yep, went down that road, too. I thought I opened the back of the camera, saw the film in it, and slammed it shut even faster than the speed of light but that wasn't the case! Just some Conrail stuff at Oak Island that I was able to re-shoot right then and there.

cometv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #18
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched out
What one needs is one of these jiggers
Ah, the things I could do with one of these!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #19
trainboysd40

Let's just say that, if I had one of those, I had better have a laptop with a 1TB HDD 'cause I'd be in the past for a looooong time!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #20
Craig Walker

Like Joe the Photog, I had a roll of Kodachrome with shots from a day with Santa Fe 4-8-4 3751 that was somehow processed as print film. I didn't even think that was possible with Kodachrome! The prints were there, but the color was very unworldly looking.

Along with all the other standard errors (film not catching, opening the back too soon, and once the film pulling all the way out of the canister), I also had my old Minolta SRT-101 wear out on a trip to Seattle, and the film plane moved so that no matter how critically one focused, the image was blurry. My only Milwaukee Road images all got wasted, and before I discovered the problem I also headed to Cajon Pass in a blizzard and the same thing happened. It was, apparently, something exacerbated by cold weather, since it was snowy in Seattle as well.

But, with digital, I have also made an error similar to not loading film: Twice I left the memory card at home after downloading images, and then shot away (fortunately, nothing all the exciting) only to discover that the card was not in the camera. I have since discovered a setting that will prevent the shutter from firing if there is no card.
Craig Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:56 AM   #21
Freericks
Met Fan

Craig just reminded me of another. My Fujica ST-801 was a great camera... so much so that I've bought a duplicate of it to have around... but if it got cold enough and snowy enough, the shutter would become sticky. About 1/8th of the frame would come out fine, and the rest would be black.

Of course, this happened in pretty severe conditions, but the disappointment of not getting the pictures was all the worse because I'd braved such elements to get them. Happened to me at least two, maybe three times over the years.