Old 12-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile My latest 7-day wonder

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...33&key=4756984

This was rejected for being unlevel, which I thought was kind of a nit pick. Actually I think the problem is more vertical lens distortion which I was too lazy to correct, but I think the real message is the screener does not consider the image to be very interesting or he wouldn't have nit picked. So I fixed the distortion (at least to my satisfaction) and consigned the image to my Flickr site. Which is where it probably belonged from the git go. Just an oh by the way kind of post since it is a slow morning and I needed something to do.

Last edited by John West; 12-09-2016 at 06:46 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...33&key=4756984

This was rejected for being unlevel, which I thought was kind of a nit pick. Actually I think the problem is more vertical lens distortion which I was too lazy to correct, but I think the real message is the screener does not consider the image to be very interesting or he wouldn't have nit picked. So I fixed the distortion (at least to my satisfaction) and consigned the image to my Flickr site. Which is where it probably belonged from the git go. Just an oh by the way kind of post since it is a slow morning and I needed something to do.
Gotta love a trolley that has real trolley poles and doesn't look like a bus!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
JRMDC

I didn't know trolley curves had superelevation!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I didn't know trolley curves had superelevation!
I'm not certain it is planned/engineered superelevation, but I thought it gave the image just enough "drama" to make it worth posting. After getting the rejection, I checked the verticals behind the streetcar and they are pretty close to vertical. But clearly the strong (but diverging) verticals on both edges gave the impression of the image being caddywampus. Maybe caddywampus should be a new rejection reason.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
conrail1990

The building in the top left is falling over (to the left).
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #6
JRMDC

I saw those diverging verticals. To myself I quietly said "good luck with THAT, John."

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #7
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail1990 View Post
The building in the top left is falling over (to the left).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I saw those diverging verticals. To myself I quietly said "good luck with THAT, John."
And the building on the right is falling to the right. All that corrected very nicely when I ran the image through the lens correction tool, both sides lined up very nicely. The lens correction tool is pretty nifty and I use it quite a lot. I should have used it initially on this image, but as noted above I was lazy, it was a quick and dirty effort so to speak. Obviously too quick and too dirty for the screener.

Last edited by John West; 12-09-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #8
KevinM

Hey John?

Are you using the Lens Profiles in PS, PSE or Lightroom? Those don't correct perspective distortion, but for a lot of lenses, they will correct some of the complex lens distortion that would be a real chore if you had to do it manually. I use Lightroom and I have the Lens Profile box checked on a standard preset that I use, so it always gets applied.

And yes, there are some lenses that have annoying distortion that doesn't correct in the profiles and is difficult to correct manually. The Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR is a nice piece of glass for FF cameras and is about the best "walking around" lens that Nikon makes. That said, when you shoot wedgies right at the wide end (24mm), it has a tendency to make the tail end of the train look like it is leaning over and away from the photographer, while the locomotive looks just fine. Even with some fiddling, I can't always get rid of it entirely. That's why I prefer the 24-70 f/2.8 in those situations where I won't need the extra reach. The latter lens doesn't have that problem.

Many of the newer Nikon bodies will implement the Lens Correction Profiles in-camera. Food for thought if you are eyeing a new body for 2017.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:13 AM   #9
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hey John?

Are you using the Lens Profiles in PS, PSE or Lightroom? Those don't correct perspective distortion, but for a lot of lenses, they will correct some of the complex lens distortion that would be a real chore if you had to do it manually. I use Lightroom and I have the Lens Profile box checked on a standard preset that I use, so it always gets applied.

And yes, there are some lenses that have annoying distortion that doesn't correct in the profiles and is difficult to correct manually. The Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR is a nice piece of glass for FF cameras and is about the best "walking around" lens that Nikon makes. That said, when you shoot wedgies right at the wide end (24mm), it has a tendency to make the tail end of the train look like it is leaning over and away from the photographer, while the locomotive looks just fine. Even with some fiddling, I can't always get rid of it entirely. That's why I prefer the 24-70 f/2.8 in those situations where I won't need the extra reach. The latter lens doesn't have that problem.

Many of the newer Nikon bodies will implement the Lens Correction Profiles in-camera. Food for thought if you are eyeing a new body for 2017.
Kevin, thanks. But I need to remind you that I am a techno dinosaur that tends to use my new D7100 much like I used my old F taking film in the bad old days. So in-camera adjustments are few and far between for me. Way too complicated. I might actually have to read the manual (which is written in a language I hardly understand).

So I do it in Photoshop. The Photoshop lens correction tool has an auto function based on the camera and lens, but I rarely use it because in my experience it hasn't given me the results I want. The typical issue I am dealing with is vertical and occasionally horizontal distortion and I like having the control that doing it manually gives me. And it is easy to do manually. Like a lot of my post processing routine, it is not necessarily the right or best way, just the way I have muddled into and gotten comfortable with.

All that being said, I do listen to and appreciate the stuff that the more technically inclined folks talk about, and occasionally something clicks and I actually learn to do something new and better. But only occasionally. Us old farts can be very resistant to change.

Last edited by John West; 12-10-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:42 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
And the building on the right is falling to the right. All that corrected very nicely when I ran the image through the lens correction tool, both sides lined up very nicely. The lens correction tool is pretty nifty and I use it quite a lot. I should have used it initially on this image, but as noted above I was lazy, it was a quick and dirty effort so to speak. Obviously too quick and too dirty for the screener.
Fair enough. With all those background buildings with lots of verticals, perspective control is easy. I did find the various tilts of the lamps and trees, and trolley, amusing.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #11
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Just to kind of wrap this up, this is what I posted to Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124319...posted-public/

I think I got the verticals reasonably well lined up, except of course for the palm trees, the canted poles holding up the overhead, and the super-elevated streetcar.

Last edited by John West; 12-10-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #12
RobJor

There is leaning left maybe, kind of, and then there is leaning LEFT??

Image © Owen Laukkanen
PhotoID: 598855
Photograph © Owen Laukkanen

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #13
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

Image © Owen Laukkanen

Bob
And leaning right. Another candidate for the lens correction tool.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

Image © Owen Laukkanen

Bob
Yeah, that is definitely leaning too much to the left.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote