Old 10-13-2016, 05:36 AM   #1
Daniel SIMON
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 335
Default SC choice

It is a shame that the two pictures below that have been posted recently have not been awarded with an SC !

Image © Pierre-Louis Espinasse
PhotoID: 592291
Photograph © Pierre-Louis Espinasse

Image © Thomas Joindot
PhotoID: 591011
Photograph © Thomas Joindot


These are two outstanding shots.

May be they do not have the appropriate name below the photo to be selected for an SC.
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Rene de Vries
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
Default

I actually think that there shouldn't even be such a thing as "screener's choice".

There are only four screeners and - as has been discussed extensively - screening is done arbitrarily and without any transparency (or logic for that matter).
Let the people decide which pictures are worthy of an extra distinction (PCA), the "screeners choice" has no value whatsoever i.m.h.o.

Kind regards

René
Rene de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene de Vries View Post
I actually think that there shouldn't even be such a thing as "screener's choice".
René
I agree - so much slips through front page highlighting and others, ironically, slip IN.

I'd suggest the merit of simply replacing "Screener's Choice" with "Choice Photo" and use the feature OFTEN, regardless of screener preference(s) - an out of the ordinary great shot is typically just that - a noteworthy shot. More images would get a shot at a larger audience (without the need to campaign it on Facebook) while no one shot would get a "Go directly to PC" card as they often do simply due to the increased audience and perception those images are "more worthy" than unseen images lacking the "endorsement".

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
loomus78
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 92
Default

Well, POTW is going on it's 2nd.
Also, it would be cool if any photo that gets highlighted on the site gets posted on FB as well but even that is a reach and seems to be asking for too much.
__________________
Jon Wright
Martinsburg, WV
CSX Cumberland Sub
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomus78 View Post
Also, it would be cool if any photo that gets highlighted on the site gets posted on FB as well but even that is a reach and seems to be asking for too much.
Any or all? Currently - some - do.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #6
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 417
Default

How is POTW determined? Is it chosen or just based on top views for the week?
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:22 AM   #7
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
How is POTW determined? Is it chosen or just based on top views for the week?
I am told that RP Editor Chris Kilroy selects the POTW from suggestions made by the other members of the staff. Lately, the POTWs invariably seem to come from SCs selected during the previous week.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:48 AM   #8
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
It is a shame that the two pictures below that have been posted recently have not been awarded with an SC !

Image © Pierre-Louis Espinasse
PhotoID: 592291
Photograph © Pierre-Louis Espinasse

Image © Thomas Joindot
PhotoID: 591011
Photograph © Thomas Joindot


These are two outstanding shots.

May be they do not have the appropriate name below the photo to be selected for an SC.
Too bad for that annoying RP glitch, or else I'd vote a PCA for the second one.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.