Old 02-03-2006, 02:44 AM   #1
TonytheTiger
Ex. Railroad Employee

Default Light Meters

I'm new to digital photography. I have a fairly good camera (Fuji FinePix S5100) that has manual mode. I'm from the old school - I never had a fully automatic camera - I used a Canon F-1 for all of my railroad photography until 1988 (I had to retire from photography for a while after that). I always carried a small Honeywell light meter with me and took several readings and bracketed my shots around an average of my readings. I've found that the automatic setting on the S5100 is many times inadequate and would like to use the manual mode more. Do they still make light meters? Is there something comparable to my old Honeywell out there? What do you use - or do you simply use a chart?

You know you are old when the first car you owned is now considered a "Classic".
TonytheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:53 AM   #2
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

Quick google gave me this
http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...S_3115CRX.ASPX
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:12 AM   #3
mr_mathyou

Send a message via AIM to mr_mathyou

when i want to do bracketing type stuff i've jsut been setting my camera to spot meter mode and useing it like a light meter. I jsut got two old light meters from my grandpa, so the next time i go home i'll have to pick them up to play around with. But if your digital camera has a spot metering function that can work pritty well for figureing out what i want... inever shoot with it, i either use matrix (prefoms good on my nikon) or center weighted cause im used to it frm my F2.

if your camera regularly over or under exposes you can try palying with the exposure compensation if your camera has that. Basiclty with it you can set your camera to over or underexpose every shot. On nikons its usualy in 1/3 stops, but i ono about anyone elses cameras. Few other randome ideas. But a light meter will work great too.
~matt
mr_mathyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
ddavies

You really don't need a light meter any more. When I shoot manually, when it gets dark, shadow with bright clouds in the picture, tele with headlights, etc., I just shoot a digital test image to see what I think of it. It helps if you can enlarge the playback image on your LCD screen. Make some tests with your camera, sometimes you can't tell exposure very well from the screen.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote