Old 08-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
SamD

Unhappy Backlit, again!

I just had four photos rejected for back lighting. Two of them were long distance side views, which are kind of iffy to begin with, so I'm letting those go.

That leaves these two...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=278113

I can see why this one might get the back lit reject, I'm just wondering if it's something I can fix (the photo has already been edited for light and contrast).

The one that's really got me stumpped is this one...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=277989

The nose is fully lit, and while the low light does cast some shadows on the side, the light is clearly falling from behind me. Is this worth editing some and resubmitting, do I have grounds for an appeal, or is it a lost cause?
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Matt Rivers

I'd let it go. The second shot is better lit than the first, sure, but the majority of your subject is in shadow, despite the nose being sunlit. Depending on the site, you could probably move around to see if there's a better angle (more head-on?), or get the shot a little earlier in the afternoon.
Matt Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

I agree with Matt that I would let these go.

Joe
Old 08-13-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Background and composition as well as lighting

My view is the reason for rejection probably has as much to do with background and composition as with lighting. The lighting is actually rather interesting, but needs a more "artful" composition to work. The industrial environment probably didn't give you too much to work with. The first picture is too tight to the left (rule of thirds) and the building in the background detracts. The second picture comes closer to working but has too much background "stuff" sticking out of the top of the engine. In a more scenic location that could have been great lighting. But in that kind of location you're probably better off with the sun over the shoulder rule. Hope this is useful input.

John West
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
a231pacific

I agree with John, I think the lighting is great on your second shot, but the transformers and chimney detract. I think in these cases, the screeners go for the easy reject and hit the back lit button. Same train, same light, with a nice background would probably get it. At least John and I would accept it, were we screeners!

Michael Allen

Last edited by a231pacific; 08-14-2006 at 04:41 AM.
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #6
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

It looks like a roster shot of a Metra engine in poor light. There is nothing you can do to get this one accepted. Try a different compositon next time or wait until the sun is on the side to shoot it or try to get more of a nose shot when the light is at that angle. There are plenty of sunlit Metra shots on already I would try to go for more creative compositions of that line now such as:
Image © Joel Hinkhouse
PhotoID: 154233
Photograph © Joel Hinkhouse

Image © Mike W.
PhotoID: 145853
Photograph © Mike W.

Good luck!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:05 AM   #7
SamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West
The industrial environment probably didn't give you too much to work with. The second picture comes closer to working but has too much background "stuff" sticking out of the top of the engine.
John West
No acocunting for taste I guess... I shot there because A) I love industrial scenes (I'm way more likely to click pictures in the database of common power shot in a scene like this rather then in a mountain of country landscape), and B) there was good trackside parking. But I do get what you and Michael are saying with the stuff sticking up in the background. I've got other frames of the same train with it further back on the track. There's still some telephone poles, but the chimey and the transformers are gone.

It's the same or better light, so we shall see...
Old 08-14-2006, 04:04 AM   #8
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Industry is good

Nothing wrong with an industrial area. Indeed there are some great switching scenes posted here. It's how you compose the picture to show the interesting industrial stuff in relation to the train. Here one I like:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=151672

and another one:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=150414

And there are probably a bunch of others. One suggestion would be to browse the pictures posted here and find some that you like and try to imitate them. Nothing wrong with imitation....that's how I got started.

But in the end your most important critic is yourself. Get the pix you enjoy, and if they get posted here, that's just gravy.

John West
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:17 AM   #9
SamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West
One suggestion would be to browse the pictures posted here and find some that you like and try to imitate them. Nothing wrong with imitation....that's how I got started.
John West
Nothing wrong with that at all. It's what I've been consciously doing, even if I sometimes fall short of what I'm going for
Old 08-14-2006, 04:19 AM   #10
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

I think what we're (or atleast I) am saying is, they're not that good... I'd Try to get more of the train in the shot, makes it seem more thought out and organized, rather than just a quick OMFG MP36 LOL shot. There are somewhere between 50 and 100 kajillion metra shots in the database, so to make your photo database worthy, it should be creative, interesting, well lit, and your photos seem heavily compressed and poor technical quality. (Yes, my latest metra shot in the database is quite boring, got in through a fluke I guess)
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
Switched out

I had a go at the last one in Photoshop and I must say it took a fair bit of fixing so I wont go into what I did to get my result (See attached image)

The main problem is the light, it's head on to the loco and it's producing strong shadows under the loco and along the side. Look at the shadows cast by the hand rails.

I also cropped it a little but that might just be my personal taste getting in the way.

Christine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg metx416franklinpark02ps.jpg (193.3 KB, 145 views)
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #12
SamD

Wow! You're showing me why I need to get photoshop here!