Old 01-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
JRMDC

Default I thought the crop was fine

I doubt I will resubmit this as I just don't have the image quality, but I am curious about the second comment and I want to learn. What do you think of the framing/crop?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=331608

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

I can see what you are doing with that crop, but an out of focus milepost isn't really worth cropping it way out there, IMO.
ken45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
BigTony
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to BigTony

I really like what you were going for with that shot. Unfortunately this site doesn't lend itself well to shots like that. I'd wager money that if you shifted the focus to the milepost sign leaving the train as a sort of "secondary" subject you get rejected for the train being out of focus and whatnot. Bottom line, while this photo might not make it onto this site, it shows you've got a good eye for shots and I think your composition is good to.

Keep working on it!
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Ween

Quote:
Unfortunately this site doesn't lend itself well to shots like that.
What, shots of a train coming down the tracks about to take a curve? Or out of focus milepost signs? I'm not sure I'm seeing where you're coming from on this one, Tony.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
Matt Rivers

I like the picture. Does the uncropped original include more of the scene? More zoomed out? I would imagine that the noise is a result of the "zoom crop effect".
If I had the chance to duplicate the shot, I'd either zoom less, or stand further back to allow more room on either side of the train.
Matt Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:54 AM   #6
BigTony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I'm not sure I'm seeing where you're coming from on this one, Tony.
You wouldn't.

I was referring to anything that has objects in the foreground, but hey, keep shaking those pom-poms.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 AM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
What, shots of a train coming down the tracks about to take a curve? Or out of focus milepost signs? I'm not sure I'm seeing where you're coming from on this one, Tony.
This is what I intended. First of all, contrary to Ween, out of focus elements are perfectly acceptable in a shot. It is a normal technique to either have something in the background in focus and something in the foreground out of focus or vice versa. I have a successful version of foreground focus which I will submit some time this week. (BigTony, you are skeptical; we'll see how it goes, I think it has a decent chance.)

Here I was going for the opposite effect. I think, actually, that I didn't blur it enough, so it looks unintentionally out of focus instead of intentionally. I will go back, go closer to the MP sign, fill a bit more of the frame with it, and have it blurred more, so the intention is clear. In other words, follow Ken's comment.

Matt, the noise is not due to too much zooming but to too much processing to rescue an image that is probably out of focus or has camera movement that keeps the mail element in the rear from being sharp. Need to reshoot. I pushed it too far and have learned my lesson (or not!).

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-29-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
BigTony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
First of all, contrary to Ween, out of focus elements are perfectly acceptable in a shot.
You'll have to forgive Ween. He only seems to subscribe to the RP take on photography.

Quote:
BigTony, you are skeptical; we'll see how it goes, I think it has a decent chance.
Not skeptical. I'm a realist. I actually like your photo as is, but I've seen the track record (no pun intended) here from my months of observation. I truly hope it gets in, but I'd be very surprised.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:40 AM   #9
Ween

Quote:
First of all, contrary to Ween, out of focus elements are perfectly acceptable in a shot.
JRMDC,

I think you're misinterpretting what I wrote and the intent behind it. In no way do I think out of focus elements are not acceptable. In fact:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 114250
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

My post was intended for BigTony to explain what he meant when he made another unnecessary jab at the site and what they accept. He's been banging a big gong since he showed up this week and now he's made it personal for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTony
You wouldn't.

I was referring to anything that has objects in the foreground, but hey, keep shaking those pom-poms.
Quote:
You'll have to forgive Ween. He only seems to subscribe to the RP take on photography.
If you want to fling arrows at me, Tony, that's fine, but it speaks volumes on you. If you dislike RP so much and have such a negative opinion of it and who contributes both to the database and in these forums, why are you even here?

It's ironic that you criticise me because I happen to like the way RP approaches RR photography and how they've helped alot of folks throughout the years, but yet because they don't fit into your view of RR photography and how it should be done, somehow they're wrong. How can something so subjective be broken down into what is right and what is wrong? Just because RP says something is 'right' for them doesn't mean that their view makes it right for everybody else. They've just chosen what works for them. In a way, you are guilty of doing the exact thing you claim RP is doing.

But, I know you don't want to understand or comprehend that. You've 'lurked' for so long in the shadows, watching what goes on and forming opinions on the folks here and now you've come out of the closet (so to speak) with a chip on your shoulder and just want to make waves. If that floats your boat, fine, but personal attacks on folks probaby isn't going to change the way things are done around here...
Old 01-29-2007, 02:44 AM   #10
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Janusz:

If you would be able to bring the overall image quality up a bit and maybe tone down the contrast just a little, I think this one would be OK. I do not see a problem with the cropping, without the milepost it would just be another standard shot. While the milepost certainly doesn't make it a "non-standard" shot, having it there does make it more interesting that not having it in the frame.

Can you re-work the image from scratch?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:52 AM   #11
BigTony
Banned

Quote:
He's been banging a big gong since he showed up this week and now he's made it personal for some reason.

If you want to fling arrows at me, Tony, that's fine, but it speaks volumes on you. If you dislike RP so much and have such a negative opinion of it and who contributes both to the database and in these forums, why are you even here?
Its truly sad there Chris me boy. You just seem to get worse and worse the longer you stay on this site. I don't criticize you because you like RP's approach, but the fact that you preach it as if it were the word of god. That and in your eyes and many like you on here, this site or its gloried group of Admins and staff can do no wrong. You may not think so, but your posts show have consistently shown that, whether intentionally or unitentionally. But hey, just because I'm questioning you, I must be wrong.

You and many others treat those that question anything about this site like a pariah. How is anything to progress if current and existing processes are never questioned and ways discovered to improve them? You should know better being in the military that just because something has always been done that it's the best way.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:58 AM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Starnes
Janusz:

If you would be able to bring the overall image quality up a bit and maybe tone down the contrast just a little, I think this one would be OK. I do not see a problem with the cropping, without the milepost it would just be another standard shot. While the milepost certainly doesn't make it a "non-standard" shot, having it there does make it more interesting that not having it in the frame.

Can you re-work the image from scratch?
I'll give it one more go, but I fear that I will fall short a bit in the quality dimension. I can reshoot sometime, although I'd prefer to wait until there is some foliage. Thanks for the advice.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-29-2007, 02:59 AM   #13
JRMDC

Sorry, Chris, I misunderstood you.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #14
Ween

Good. Then I look forward to BigTony playing Devil's Advocate after all of my posts, you know, providing the opposing view point.

Quote:
How is anything to progress if current and existing processes are never questioned and ways discovered to improve them?
I guess BigTony's been selectively lurking and missing alot of the changes that have taken place here over the last year and a half or so. But, in BigTony's eyes, maybe it's all been bad, who knows?

But Tony, I'm sorry my pro-RP attitude irks you. Just like I have to with you, you'll have to live with it...

Last edited by Ween; 01-29-2007 at 03:04 AM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #15
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Its truly sad there Chris me boy. You just seem to get worse and worse the longer you stay on this site. I don't criticize you because you like RP's approach, but the fact that you preach it as if it were the word of god. That and in your eyes and many like you on here, this site or its gloried group of Admins and staff can do no wrong. You may not think so, but your posts show have consistently shown that, whether intentionally or unitentionally. But hey, just because I'm questioning you, I must be wrong.

You and many others treat those that question anything about this site like a pariah. How is anything to progress if current and existing processes are never questioned and ways discovered to improve them? You should know better being in the military that just because something has always been done that it's the best way.
Yeah, I'm pretty sick of you, and I'm sure everyone else is as well. These forums are for constructive criticism about whether a photo can get on RP or not. That's the reason we seem to "preach" the guidelines. We know RP doesn't set the ground rules for the hobby because there are none but for the site there are and thats to be discussed here. Stop trying to make it seem like this site is evil and recruit people to your P.O.S site. No one cares or reads what you say because its basically babbling bulls***. Just because you're shots aren't good enough to make your name known or your little buddies' names known doesn't mean you have the right to belittle those photographers who have made name for themselves on RP as well as off. Exactly how many of your non-existant photos have you had published? And I'm not talking about websites.

Take your crap elsewhere. We don't need another whining moron on the forums. We've dealt with enough!

Bye.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:09 AM   #16
BigTony
Banned

Wow Andrew. That's a very intelligent post. Thank so much for waxing intellectual on subject. Where have I tried to recruit anyone for anything? I think you'd be hard pressed to find that one. Trying engaging your brain before putting your fingers in motion. Then again, I'd expect nothing less than something like this from a spoiled brat from Marlboro who think he knows so much when sadly he knows very little, but thank you very much for playing.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:36 AM   #17
Ween

Bye, Tony. Let me get my pom-poms out to celebrate...
Old 01-29-2007, 03:55 AM   #18
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Wow Andrew. That's a very intelligent post. Thank so much for waxing intellectual on subject. Where have I tried to recruit anyone for anything? I think you'd be hard pressed to find that one. Trying engaging your brain before putting your fingers in motion.
He proved his point! HAHAHA "trying engaging". Smooooth. As for being spoiled I proudly drive a '91 Ford Explorer with 185,000 and pay for my own gas as well as most everyhting else. I know he's gone just had to vent. As for knowing very little, I'd say being published 12+ times makes me pretty experienced in this hobby. Thank you for playing Tony. It's been fun.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 AM   #19
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Bye, Tony. Let me get my pom-poms out to celebrate...

Someplace, someone provided us with a rimshot on that one!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimshot
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:17 AM   #20
Studogg120

I just want to say congratulations to Big Tony for getting himself banned. Good job buddy.
Studogg120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #21
goremirebob
ex-teenager

I'm bored.
goremirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #22
Joe the Photog

As for the shot posted, I don't really see anything wrong with the crop as much as I do with the lighting. The spot is great for head ons of trains coming under the bridge. Just do whatever needs to be done wo get the image quality up.

Joe
Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #23
PLEzero

Oh how I enjoy threads that turn out like this.

I think the shot is alright, although it seems to be cropped a bit to tight. The train is too far into the upper left corner for my tastes. It makes it a bit to hard to see what the focal point of the photo is.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:19 AM   #24
JRMDC

Thanks Chris S and everybody. The shot was not of sufficient quality to really fix up. It may have misfocused behind the train. Even if I did fix it up, I wouldn't be proud of it. I will reshoot it sometime, probably in spring when foliage returns there.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots