Old 06-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
weim

Default New to all this

I'm new to railfanning and railroad photography. I'm still trying to get one of my photos posted here. Among the reject reasons, other than the screener thinking I'm a lousy photographer is that I have not listed the correct locomotive type with my submissions. Frankly, I don't want to get that deep into this. I just like taking pictures. I've figured out some of the locomotive types from looking at photos posted here. Does someone know of a website, etc., that I can look at and learn the different locomotive types?
weim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Matt Rivers

As someone who is relatively new to this myself (only 2 years or so), I'm often not sure what type of locomotive I'm shooting either. What I'll usually do then, is use RP.net to figure it out.

From the main screen, you can search for the locomotive using the railroad (CSX, BNSF, etc), and type in the locomotive's road number in the "keyword" box. Chances are, someone has probably photographed that particular engine before, and from that picture, you'll be able to learn exactly what type of locomotive it is.

As for the photography, the best thing you can do is get out, and do it a LOT. Try to learn from every shot, and every shoot. Try to keep track of what settings you're using, and replicate them as needed.

Most obviously, this forum is a great place to pick peoples' brains about how they go about their hobby. No question is "too amatuerish" or "silly".

Be sure to let us know when you get your first photo accepted into the database.
Matt Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim
I'm new to railfanning and railroad photography. I'm still trying to get one of my photos posted here. Among the reject reasons, other than the screener thinking I'm a lousy photographer ...
You don't have to be a lousy photographer to have trouble with getting up the learning curve regarding the level of image quality needed to get a picture accepted. The next rejection you get, start a thread and include the URL of the rejection and we will be happy to help you.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Rich K

Quote:
Does someone know of a website, etc., that I can look at and learn the different locomotive types?
If all you want to do is be able to list the correct locomotive type with your submission then take a look at this site . . .

http://www.thedieselshop.us/MPR.html

Just look up the locomotive in your photo on this site indexed by railroad and then by road number and read across for the model. No need to try and memorize them by appearance, etc.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

I still don't know all of the exact loco categories, so what I do when I need to is to come to RP and do a search. For example, I used to have a horrible time remembering the model designation of the CSX hundred series, so I would go to the main page and look up the number, for instance CSXT 283. If there wasn't a shot of that one, then just look around the 280 number.

You'll be surprised how easy it will get to know the differences between model s though as it comes with time.

As far as your "lousy photography," this lousy photographer has 13 rejections in the past week. And I'm not lousy. No one should expect to get every shot in that they submitt. In addition to the RP rejects, I just received notification via a form letter "Dear Photographer" that one of my shots I recently paid 20 bucks to enter into a contest didn't make. I expect another letter shortly. Also, I've submitted maybe 15 shots to Trains Magazine over the last few months and have heard NOTHING back from them.

So not getting a shot accepted has nothing to do with your skills of a photog.

Joe
Old 06-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I still don't know all of the exact loco categories, so what I do when I need to is to come to RP and do a search. For example, I used to have a horrible time remembering the model designation of the CSX hundred series, so I would go to the main page and look up the number, for instance CSXT 283. If there wasn't a shot of that one, then just look around the 280 number.
Joe, as a CSX shooter, you need to know about
http://www.bullsheet.com/news/csxroster.html

I usually go straight to the numerical sort
http://www.bullsheet.com/roster.cfm?class=NUMERICAL

there is also a train number roster
http://www.bullsheet.com/news/freight.html

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #7
Mgoldman

Joe's right on track regarding the easiest way to find the engine type - just plug in the engine number or a number just under or above. Cake. One day someone will have to sit down and tutor me should I be the first person to ever photograph a new engine!

I'll bet Jetphotos.net must be alot harder to pin the name on the plane!

/Mitch

BTW - Joe, regarding the plethora of rejections - nothing to get "steamed up" about : ) There's always New Hope for the next photo. : ) if you know what I mean!
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman

BTW - Joe, regarding the plethora of rejections - nothing to get "steamed up" about : ) There's always New Hope for the next photo. : ) if you know what I mean!
One of these days, Mitch, one of these days!

Joe
Old 06-05-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Joe, as a CSX shooter, you need to know about
http://www.bullsheet.com/news/csxroster.html
I'm a big fan of the Bullsheet. Been very helpful and insightful esp. about paint schemes. But looking up model designations is just about as easy as can be on Railpictures. Either that or I just guess!

Joe
Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 AM   #10
Joe the Photog

Mitch;

Sometimes your posts make me want to turn up a 40!

Joe
Old 06-05-2007, 12:59 AM   #11
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Mitch;

Sometimes your posts make me want to turn up a 40!

Joe
You mean "turn out a 40".
Turns out, it's right here in my backyard. : )

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
weim

Thank you to all for your help and encouraging words. I'll keep trying with my pictures. I just got my new image stabalized lens today, so that should help with my photos. All this time I thought I was a good photographer until I tried to post here. Those screeners are tough.. I'll let you all know if I ever get a pic posted and I'll ask for your help with my next rejections.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Thank you to all for your help and encouraging words. I'll keep trying with my pictures. I just got my new image stabalized lens today, so that should help with my photos.
Which lens did you get? If it's a Canon, don't forget to turn the IS off when using a tripod. It's ok to use with a monopod, though. Don't ask my why, but it DOES make a difference whether you're using a mono or a tri.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
If it's a Canon, don't forget to turn the IS off when using a tripod. It's ok to use with a monopod, though. Don't ask my why, but it DOES make a difference whether you're using a mono or a tri.
Some Canon's, newer ones, work fine on a tripod as they have a "tripod mode" whose operation is not clear to me, and I don't have time to fully search the web. I think they shut off if they sense (by lack of movement?) that the camera is on a tripod.

At any rate, if the tripod is flimsy, or if you are using a monopod, the IS does work.

Here's an old link, so doesn't reflect the most current info. For example, it does not have the 17-55 IS.
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BiQt
or this (see the "Exception")
http://digital-photography-school.co...on-on-tripods/

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

(knock, knock, knock...)

Mitch: Who's there?

Joe: Guess!

LOL
Old 06-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #16
weim

I got a Canon 28-135mm.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Some Canon's, newer ones, work fine on a tripod as they have a "tripod mode" whose operation is not clear to me, and I don't have time to fully search the web. I think they shut off if they sense (by lack of movement?) that the camera is on a tripod.
Gotcha. I wasn't aware of the newer technology since I bought my 100-400 back in December. For mine, it recommends not using IS while on a tripod, but it is ok for a monopod. While on a tripod, and completely still, the IS seems to overcorrect, thus making the picture blurry. I noticed it the most when I took some test shots while zooming in on some exterior Christmas lights.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #18
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Gotcha. I wasn't aware of the newer technology since I bought my 100-400 back in December.
"Newer" refers to time of design and not time of purchase. I vaguely recall that the 100-400 is one of the oldest IS models, one of the first ones created.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots