Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Somebody in the WWW

Default Do you travel by rail?

Most members here photograph trains, at least semi-regularily, but how many people here actually travel by train? I have read that quite a lot of well known rail photographers have not actually been on a train in some time.

Personally, I travel by train on a regular basis, as I have no other means of transport to get to a lot of photospots!
Somebody in the WWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
JRMDC

Well, I don't know how often the trains run where you are. In much of the US (by area!) there are either zero passenger trains or one train in each direction each day. So it's not so easy to set up!

If one lives within reach of a commuter train operation, of course, one can ride more easily. On days off I like to take my son for a commuter train ride here in DC (where, of course, there is also a lot of Amtrak to ride).

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Ween

I don't travel by train, even though I have Amtrak as an option. It's either:

a) more convenient to fly
b) I can drive where ever I'm going cheaper (factoring in rental car/taxi/etc.)

When I was in Dallas, I rode the TRE to downtown, and when I was stuck in the D.C. area with no car, I rode the Metro to downtown where you can walk to all the good spots.

Otherwise, for me, rail travel isn't convenient. And it's slow. It works in the northeast, but in the heartland, it's just not feasible. I know Don Phillips of TRAINS bows at the altar of more rail travel, but I think he's living in the past as I don't see it happening. But what do I know? He gets paid for his opinion so he must be right...
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I travel by train when it makes sense, which is...rarely.
The only passenger trains that go through Calgary are cruise trains that cost thousands of dollars to ride.
I have ridden behind 2816 here, however...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
WembYard

I travel by train nearly every day. Go to work by train (except Saturday night / Sunday mornings when there is no train service suitable to my shift pattern) and a day out for me is more often or not by train or will involve some train travel.

The UK rail scene rarely interests me these days so it is fairly rare for me to go out in the car just to photograph, the roads over here are also very congested and I HATE driving with a passion. As for Europe, I am tempted to hire a car sometimes and seek some more remote locations, but they drive on the "wrong side of the road" compared to the UK, so neither myself or my husband really want to bother. In any case we both find actually travelling by train as interesting as photographing them.

Perhaps I should mention that we both work on the railways so get a fair amount of free and reduced rate travel all over Europe, so we may be a little biased
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Kilroy1313

Smile Who's driving on the «wrong» side ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
(...) As for Europe, I am tempted to hire a car sometimes and seek some more remote locations, but they drive on the "wrong side of the road" compared to the UK, so neither myself or my husband really want to bother. (...)
I thought it was over the channel there, where you drive on the «wrong» side?! ... Well, well... maybe I will think this over again.
Must be 10 years ago we took the "Le Shuttle"-train, that's where you drive in with your car on one side of the Channel (France) - the doors close - whoosh through the tunnel - and there you are in the U.K. (were people drive on the opposite side as they do in France). I made it in one piece until the hotel and there the car stayed until I returned 2 days later. - I really love driving, but that experience marked me - shall I say "never again", no! You never should say never, but honestly I will try to not do this again with my own car!!

Taking the train ? Me ? Oh, my god ! - You must mean taking pictures of trains, yes that's what I'm doing !
As I have a station in the village I force myself up to 3 times a year taking the train to get some kind of good conscience for the environment.
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I don't travel by train, even though I have Amtrak as an option. It's either:

a) more convenient to fly
b) I can drive where ever I'm going cheaper (factoring in rental car/taxi/etc.)

When I was in Dallas, I rode the TRE to downtown, and when I was stuck in the D.C. area with no car, I rode the Metro to downtown where you can walk to all the good spots.

Otherwise, for me, rail travel isn't convenient. And it's slow. It works in the northeast, but in the heartland, it's just not feasible. I know Don Phillips of TRAINS bows at the altar of more rail travel, but I think he's living in the past as I don't see it happening. But what do I know? He gets paid for his opinion so he must be right...
When the price of oil skyrockets to insanely high levels that only the rich can afford, public transportation (including trains) will become more and more feasible.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #8
Ween

Quote:
When the price of oil skyrockets to insanely high levels that only the rich can afford, public transportation (including trains) will become more and more feasible.
...or employees of the industry. One of the perks I look forward to, mwa ha ha ha!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
WembYard

Kilroy1313, some advice that I was given by somebody who has driven in continental Europe is to always hire a car locally. It is then easier to get your bearings as you will be correctly seated "in the middle of the road" and be less tempted to drift to the wrong side.

In the meantime I think it best to stick to the trains and my own two feet, though we did once give some serious thought to hiring some push bikes in Westerland, Germany.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I got off of an Amtrak train not more than 18 hours ago!

I live in the Oklahoma City area, and needed to fly to the Twin Cities to take care of some paperwork for my new job. OKC-MSP flights are about $400, DFW-MSP is about $180 - I opted to take Amtrak and Trinity Rail Express from Oklahoma City to the DFW airport. It took longer, but getting there's half the fun.

I rode in the former ATSF hi-levels last time I took it, and this time I rode in the Superliners - I must say, I miss photographing the hi-levels but I don't miss riding in them
Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
Kilroy1313, some advice that I was given by somebody who has driven in continental Europe is to always hire a car locally. It is then easier to get your bearings as you will be correctly seated "in the middle of the road" and be less tempted to drift to the wrong side.

In the meantime I think it best to stick to the trains and my own two feet, though we did once give some serious thought to hiring some push bikes in Westerland, Germany.
Agreed, Janet. Having once driven a right-hand drive car in Vanuatu (a country that drives on the right), I found it rather difficult and annoying.

Anyhow, in regards to the topic of this thread, I don't own a car. As a result, I'm always travelling by train. If I travel to Melbourne or Brisbane, then I prefer taking the overnight train. Flying's generally a last option. Though, I must confess I'm hiring a car, when I visit the States, in September. But I will be taking the train back.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:05 AM   #12
Gordon Graham

Send a message via ICQ to Gordon Graham Send a message via MSN to Gordon Graham

Yes , I need to travel by rail everytimes I go out .
Gordon Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
Tåg

I drive one everyday does that count?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 AM   #14
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

I'm attempting to start taking the train, but my parents aren't making it easy, since they won't pick me up at the nearest train stop, since it's a 40 minute drive, and "the bus is only 20 minutes away." Nevermind the fact that the bus is more expensive than Amtrak (assuming you book far enough in advance), isn't run by Dictator-like employees, doesn't limit you luggage wise, is far more comfortable, and a slew of other reasons. Long story short, the bus sucks.

So, in order to stick it the parents, I'm taking Amtrak all the way to Union Station from college in Champaign, then getting on a Metra to Downers Grove, and still saving money over taking the bus.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #15
MILWfan

I ride at least 2 long distance trips a year, lastyear was an all time high of 5. (Silver Star, Empire Builder, Canadian, Capitol Limited and the Coast Starlight.)
Old 02-28-2008, 02:14 AM   #16
Joe the Photog

I travel by rail all the time. Meaning I drive my car beside railroad tracks. We looked into riding Amtrak to Pennsylvania, but the cost was ginormous without factoring in a rental car. Amtrak comes through town here in the dead of night. If it were just me, I might consider riding to Miami on the Silver Star, then renting a car back.

We ride excursion trains whenever we can and on Saturday, we are taking my wife's parents up to Charlott to ride the light rail. My wife says we can't leave them there though.

Joe
Old 02-28-2008, 02:16 AM   #17
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tåg
I drive one everyday does that count?
Definitely!

Joe
Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #18
Tåg

Actually more and more I have been taking the commuter "shooter" down to my moms (130 rail miles south) and up to my aunt and uncle's (220 rail miles north) mostly because of the price of gas, but also just not dealing with the stress of driving in inner metopolitan traffic. Its almost like rail travel has come 180 from the 50's and 60's! Driving isnt worth the hassle anymore.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #19
rahul.v.rao

Send a message via MSN to rahul.v.rao Send a message via Yahoo to rahul.v.rao

I travel a lot, and use the most convinient method of transport availabe. To all the cities that are conected with my home town with a overnight train, and also shorter distances that have a early morning train for going and a late evening train in the opposite direction I take the train. anything longer I fly and places within a 4 hour drive I drive.
rahul.v.rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody in the WWW
Most members here photograph trains, at least semi-regularily, but how many people here actually travel by train? I have read that quite a lot of well known rail photographers have not actually been on a train in some time.

Personally, I travel by train on a regular basis, as I have no other means of transport to get to a lot of photospots!
i would love to travel by train... but the closes passenger train that actually goes somewhiere is in Philadelphia(im from reading)
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #21
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern
i would love to travel by train... but the closes passenger train that actually goes somewhiere is in Philadelphia(im from reading)
Downingtown is less than an hour away, many Amtrak and Septa departures, including to New York.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote