Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
medic_pilot

Default More Oregon Landslides

Even though it is currently not raining outside, we've been having a lot of landslides in recent weeks here. Just read a story in the Statemsna Journal about the UP line between Eugene and Klamath Falls blocked by a big landslide up near Oakridge.

Clearing rail line near Oakridge may take weeks.
The Associated Press

January 22, 2008

OAKRIDGE — Repair crews now say it may be weeks, not days, before a weekend landslide that blocked passenger and freight rail lines near Oakridge can be cleared.

“We just got there and it’s a lot bigger than we thought,” Union Pacific spokeswoman Zoe Richmond said Monday night.

One 3,000-foot segment was covered in mud and logs 20 feet deep.

The line is Union Pacific’s main connection between Eugene and California. The slide was about 8 miles southeast of Oakridge in an area so remote that crews had to blaze a road into the area.

Until the line is reopened, freight traffic between Portland and Roseville, Calif., will be rerouted using Burlington Northern tracks through Bend.

Amtrak passengers on the Coast Starlight, the only Amtrak train that uses those tracks between Seattle and Los Angeles, are being offered bus service around the closure.
medic_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
30db+

Them slides are a traincrews worst nightmare.Im a hogger for CPR in Alberta and have many many years at working with these conditions.I ran for 18 yrs through the Rodgers Pass a line that runs between Calgary AB and eventually brings you through the Fraser Canyon to Vancouver.This is the primetime season for them as the snowpack is starting to melt.I have hit numerous and got hit by a few.Its gotta be the worst feelings of your life when you see one traveling at 50mph plus with 15,000 ton plus.You get down on the floor and hope you stay upright or a tree or rocks in the side dont come through the windows.We and CNR have some very close calls every season and even lose crews also.The rairoads have slide detector fences along bad and know areas but some times your buy the signal for slide indication and there it is,right in front of you.Night time makes it worse to because of the darkness and worst is the fog that develops in the mountains.Its getting a bit better every year as the railroads are patroling with helecopters and inducing slides with explosives.Still i dont think i will ever get comfortable and loose that nervous feeling entering the mountains.
30db+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Tåg

They are saying now that the tracks will not be opened until at least April. Having seen the slide first hand I say that is a generous statement.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
30db+

Any pics anybody can post,interesting to see.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
Tåg

Ask and ye shall recieve. I have more picts and some video that I took with my phone that I need to get around uploading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-Frazier.jpg
Views:	1802
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	2548   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Frazier.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	2549   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-Frazier.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	2550   Click image for larger version

Name:	loading%20B%20train%20with%20muck_JPG.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	2551  
Old 02-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
30db+

Thanx for the pics Tag,well by the looks of it they better think about some slide sheds and bank stabelization!!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
medic_pilot

Yes, thank you for the pics. Looks like an area that was recently clear cut.
medic_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
30db+

Well you better not be putting left or right feet in or out!!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Tåg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30db+
Thanx for the pics Tag,well by the looks of it they better think about some slide sheds and bank stabelization!!
One of the MOW guys I talked to said that they are terracing the hillside to help make it more stable.