Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 PM   #1
alstom
Banned

Default What Can I do to Improve?

Alright, this photo has been rejected for three reasons. Please tell me how I can improve. I use a 3 mp Kodak C300. Not real good at all. No optical zoom. That explains alot, but here is a link to the photo I thought I might of had a chance at:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=209255

But I think the reason for rejection was mainly the sky. It is completely gray. And also, was it a possibility that it was rejected because I'm almost as high up as the loco? Please give me tips! Thanks,

Rich
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
jaanfo

Well, Definately too much dead space above the locomotive, maybe a bit of trimming all around would help it. It's a tad overexposed, which is why I switched to manual controls... but then you have the problem with the image being too dark. I don't think many of us could have made a good picture with that lighting, but it's a good angle, the angle has nothing to do with it.
jaanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
- Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough nose light on the subject.
Not a whole lot can be done about that. Shooting into the sun, or even the general direction as the sun usually doesn't yield great results. Rule #1 of photography is to keep the sun at your back. There are exceptions to this, but usually not with roster shots.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #4
alstom
Banned

The sun was to my back although it is obvious clouds were covering it at the time. I tried some cropping and I'll have it on here in a few hopefully. I tried re-submitting it. I also tried submitting another one of a couple yard locos.

We'll see how they turn out. But if they despise cloudy photos, they'll be rejected.

cmherndon- I'm not facing the sun. It's just the cloudy sky was really bright at the time. I'll keep trying.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:54 PM   #5
jaanfo

That's all you can do... Learn a lesson, incorperate it into your next round of photos, and try try again.
jaanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:20 AM   #6
Frederick

Cloudy shots are frowned upon, unless it has something very rare in it. Lighting has to be good for 3/4 wedge shots like these.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:16 AM   #7
alstom
Banned

Do you suggest I get a better camera that is higher than 3 mp? Also, I know for sure I need a camera with optical zoom, LOL!

So, basically what you're telling me is that the photo above just isn't good enough , what so ever? Cuz I don't care, as long as I get one in soon. And if this weather would ever be nice on the weekend, darn it!!!

Old 01-31-2006, 01:42 AM   #8
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
Do you suggest I get a better camera that is higher than 3 mp? Also, I know for sure I need a camera with optical zoom, LOL!

So, basically what you're telling me is that the photo above just isn't good enough , what so ever? Cuz I don't care, as long as I get one in soon. And if this weather would ever be nice on the weekend, darn it!!!

I'm not gettin' any sun over here either! There was just a little bit of sun today when I went out to catch a CN/IC train, but it hid from me as soon as I got out of the car to take pics.........and the sun stayed behind the clouds for the rest of the day.

As for your photo, you have a very slim chance of getting that one in
.........but good luck with future photographing , you'll get a photo into the database eventually.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:02 AM   #9
bnsf sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
Do you suggest I get a better camera that is higher than 3 mp?
My camera is 3mp...take a look at my pictures, and make your own decision.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 AM   #10
willie6622

Everything I took from March 10th 2004 back was with a 2mp Fuji. If you are not going to be printing large prints then it does not really matter how many MP's you use. A 3megapixel camera is more than enough for web posting. Concentrate on you technique, and try not to get frustrated by all the rejections you might receive at first. The biggest mistake many people make is they assume they know everything there is to know about photography and composition and they stop learning. When this type of person gets a shot rejected they usually lash out at the screeners, and think it must be a conspiracy aimed directly at them, because it just could not be possible that their photo was not up to snuff. Anyhow, just keep taking pictures, ask questions, listen to the advice given, and soon enough you will be taking quality photographs.

Last edited by willie6622; 01-31-2006 at 02:21 AM. Reason: spelling
willie6622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:58 PM   #11
mr_mathyou

Send a message via AIM to mr_mathyou

honesly the lighting on the loco os very dark and the sky is washed out.... not much of a chance of getting it up, but as said before the angle is good, if your going for the 3/4 wedge approch. Your cropping is not bad, i would problay shoot a little bit more ground over sky, unless the sky was looking awesome (ie sunset of cool clouds). All it really needs is some good lighting. So what i would say is keep shooting and when ya get something good give it a go on uploading here. And honesly be paitent, dont give up just cause you dont get something acepted. Take the commetns of the screeners and try to figure out what they are talking about, and try to see where you can improve next time. also bring photos here. you can learn a lot from the experience of others, many of which have probobly had the same issues you have. so yeah, enjoy shooting, and shoot for fun, not just to get a photo accepted here.
~matt
mr_mathyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:22 PM   #12
alstom
Banned

Thanks for the tips and advice guys. I really appreciate it. Although, I'm not lashing out, so don't get the idea I am. I'm being as patient as can be. I knew that photo was more than likely going to be rejected due to the washed out sky. But I'm confident, and I know if I keep that attitude, I'll get some in. If you want to see my full line of rail photos visit http://unicapital.rrpicturearchives.net/. And yes, ignore my old crappy Panasonic PV-L779 camcorder still photos, they sucked, and the LCD panel was going way down.

Enjoy!!! And again thanks for the tips!

Rich
Old 02-01-2006, 01:37 AM   #13
Wonka001

I don't know about using optical zoom too much, because (as stated numerous times in these forums) the images have a tendancy to pixilate.
Wonka001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:57 AM   #14
mr_mathyou

Send a message via AIM to mr_mathyou

optical zoom is good. it means the lens eliments move and adjust the light thats on the sensor. Digital zoom is what pixelates, and this is because with digital zoom you are useing only a portion of the sensor for the immage, and then blowing that immage up to the full size.

lets say your camera has a 640x480 pixel sensor like my first digital camera way back when. so say you use digital zoom and zoom in so that you are only useing the center 320x240 of the sensor. your camera after you took the photo would then take that 320x240 immage and blow it up to a 640x480 immage. this is what causes pixelation. you can do the same thing in photoshop if you crop out a section of your immage and blow it up. Digital zoom is honesly a useless function, but camera makers love to bost about it, not as much as they used to thankfuly.

and BTW alstom you arent coming across as if you are lashing out to me... you jsut seem a lil frustrated, which is compleatly understandable. =)
~matt
mr_mathyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #15
willie6622

Alstom, just in case you did not understand me... I did not feel you were lashing out. In my earlier post I was talking about certain types of personalities that I have seen here, and how they handle rejections. I feel you have the right approach on how to learn from your time here, and will take quality photos in the future.

Willie
Old 02-02-2006, 01:40 AM   #16
CG_F45

Default Hey Richard!

Richard! Welcome to railpictures.net. (If you dont know already, you know me as Chris (rgroeling) from the trains.com forums)..yeah...me! I wanted a username with the word F45 in it...

Richard, your photo would have been perfect had you had the sun at your back.

My advice...when you do have sun, the ideal place to have it is behind you, coming over your shoulder, so it lights uop the front and side of the locmotive. I like your angles and composition. You have some great photographs!

About the camera..up until recently I was shooting with a 3.2 mp camera, similar to yours. Cmaeras like those can produce good results.

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=124504
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=124447
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=124443
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=121520

All of these were taken with my 3.2 mp digital, and here they ar, on rp.net! Just lay off the zoom and your pics will be clear.

You have a good eye for photography and I look forward to seeing your work here on rp. Just keep on shooting! Ohh...one last thing. remember, these photgrpahs your are taking are for YOU. Not rp.net. Enjoy your photography, do not make it so it is not fun, then it is no longer a hooby! So have fun withh it! And you will get shots on here!

My photos at RailPictures.Net

Last edited by CG_F45; 02-02-2006 at 01:47 AM.
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote