Old 01-31-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
Frederick

Default Digital Rebel XT vs. D70

Going to upgrade to a DSLR in a couple months, and I'm willing to spend give or take $800-900. I'm looking for a camera that will produce very sharp images... Anyone have a suggestion other than the two mentioned above?

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
NicTrain35

I'd have to say the 350D (Rebel XT) is the best camera you can get within that range of money (that's my personal opinion). I recently purchased one. It came with the 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 lens. I'm looking into buying a different lens.

Others that produce sharp images are the 20D and the 300D. I don't think the 300D's are in stock anymore (I could be wrong). The 20D is more than $800-$900. It retails for about $1400.

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955

Last edited by NicTrain35; 01-31-2006 at 11:54 PM.
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

The D70 has a superior build quality and feels much more professional/less plasticy than the XT. Another similar camera is the D50, basicly the D70 with a SD slot, $550 price tag and a few less very advanced features that nobody'll miss anyway. The diffrence between 8MP and 6MP is miniscule and shouldn't be the deciding factor in your purchase. I've always favored Nikon over Canon. The 18-55mm lens that is packaged with the XT isn't the best lens in the world by any strech of the imagination...
However, if you want an unbiased opinion (Nicks was obviously toward canon, mine nikon) I'd try the Steve's Digicams forums at www.steves-digicams.com. They're very helpfull and give you more insight into which camera to get.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicTrain35
I'd have to say the 350D (Rebel XT) is the best camera you can get within that range of money (that's my personal opinion). I recently purchased one. It came with the 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 lens. I'm looking into buying a different lens.
I've got exactly what Nick's got. I'm extremely pleased with the camera, picture quallity, operations..etc., I've had mine since 6/05. I've only had one other digital camera before that(a FUJIFILM), it wasn't all that good. Tomorrow I'll be gettin the 75-300mm lens to go with my Rebel XT.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:14 AM   #5
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Don't forget the Minolta option. The 5D is a very good camera from what I've heard, and it has built in image-stabilization, so you can use it with almost any lens! I'm seriously considering getting this camera. If you buy it before the end of February, there's a $50 rebate through Minolta, too. The kit lens is actually supposed to be good, too.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:25 AM   #6
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail

I own the Rebel XT and have been extremely pleased with it. I got mine in a package deal with American (an electronics discont store), I paid about $1200 total, but this was camera body, a 28-80 lens, a 75-300 big glass, camera bag, filters, batteries, and other various accessories. If you can find a deal similar to that, I'd go with it, you won't be disappointed. To see what can be done with an XT take a look at my photos, everything I've done with my XT is marked as being so and everything not marked is my previous camera.

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:56 AM   #7
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

I shoot with Canons and have used the D30, and for the last year the 300D but if you can wait I go with the 20D. The Rebel series 300 and 350 are good cameras but if you can wait and purchase the higher end camera.
Or go with the Nikon series D70 .

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:33 AM   #8
SP3197

I have been shooting with the D70 for almost 2 years and love it.

Richard Silagi

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=35
SP3197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:47 AM   #9
mr_mathyou

Send a message via AIM to mr_mathyou

I'd say go with the D70. Its almost exacly equal to canon's 20D in every aspect and cheeper. plus is a Nikon. if you want to red more about them go to http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/20dd70.htm
he also has a good comparitson to other canon cameras http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70flash.htm#vsCanon
The 20D is a good camea too, but i'll put it right out there that I honesly still think the Nikons are built better than any canon i have used. I am not impressed with the build of the digital rebel, or rebel XT. they both feel very plasticy and cheep.
antoher thing is the set lenses (if you plan to use them)... the D70 comes with nikons 18-70mm which is actualy a good lens (honelsy suprised me that a set lens could be good) in contrast canon packages a 18-55mm lens. this thing cn be used to make photographs, but honeslty it jsut sucks. Its probably the worst lens i've ever used on any SLR. Its all plastic and has horable problems with light fall off.

so i would advise a Nikon D70 or Canon 20D. both are good cameras and both will serve you well im sure. Again I would sugust the D70 just cause I like nikons better.
~matt
mr_mathyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:16 AM   #10
Ween

I'd say go with the Rebel XT, simply because I own one. Look through the database at who uses the XT and who uses Nikon and see which results you like better.

Or better yet, watch the sidelines at this year's Super Bowl and see how many white Canon L-series lenses you see vs. non-Canon products...[/zing!]
Old 02-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #11
BNSF_SD40-2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by StL-rail
I own the Rebel XT and have been extremely pleased with it. I got mine in a package deal with American (an electronics discont store), I paid about $1200 total, but this was camera body, a 28-80 lens, a 75-300 big glass, camera bag, filters, batteries, and other various accessories. If you can find a deal similar to that, I'd go with it, you won't be disappointed. To see what can be done with an XT take a look at my photos, everything I've done with my XT is marked as being so and everything not marked is my previous camera.

By the way..........do you use a tripod with your 75-300mm lense? I'm just wondering since I just got a 75-300mm lense, should I get a stand?
Old 02-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
ddavies

[quote=Ween]I'd say go with the Rebel XT, simply because I own one. Look through the database at who uses the XT and who uses Nikon and see which results you like better.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell which camera is better by looking at web images, which are no where near the full size, and are very compressed. The only way to tell is to get your hotr little hands on one of each if you know somebody with those cameras. Shoot some identical test subjects.

I shoot with Nikon, because I have for over 35 years (and my 35 year old 300 mm will fit on my D70, which is something Canon can't say).

Both system are about equal, Nikon is known more for engineering, while Canon is know more for sales. Your pic, but buy the best glass you can for either system, so you don't get ghost images for head/ditch lights.
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #13
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default Go with the D70

I've had the luck (define luck) of shooting both the Rebel XT and the D70. I compared them for quite some time over the trial period I had with both cameras. Ultimately, I chose the D70, while it is a little bit heavier and larger than the XT, it also has a more natural fit to the hand.

I'd learned that the Nikon was far more intuitive than Canon was, and as a result the Nikon was easier to learn and get top notch results right away.

Something that hasn't been mentioned here yet, customer service. If you have a problem with NIKON, they WILL go out of their way to make sure you're happy. Nikon actually called me to inform me that their batteries had a potential safety hazard and offered a free replacement. Even going so far as to send the replacement first and providing the packaging to send the old battery back.

I cannot say the same for Canon, as my good friend shoots an XT still and when the speedlight broke on it, they still required him to send it back for troubleshooting and kept it for almost a month before he even got word on what was wrong with it. I think he got it back quickly after they called him, but it sat in their queue for quite sometime.

For your consideration.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:55 AM   #14
Frederick

I think it might be a good idea to buy a Rebel XT body, and buy a really good, yet affordable IS lens. Anyone know of any good ones? Anything that's over $500 is out of the question.

Thank you for all your help.

Flickr Account
Old 02-02-2006, 02:07 AM   #15
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

If you can afford $520, get the 17-85mm IS, or the 28-135mm IS. Remember the focal length crop deal..
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:08 AM   #16
Ween

Quote:
buy a really good, yet affordable IS lens. Anyone know of any good ones? Anything that's over $500 is out of the question.
There's not many (if any) that fit this criteria...
Old 02-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #17
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavies
I shoot with Nikon, because I have for over 35 years (and my 35 year old 300 mm will fit on my D70, which is something Canon can't say).
Granted I did minimal research, but some investigating about available lenses. It appeared to me that there were more "generic" lenses for the Canon brands than Nikon. Is my inclination correct?

This is mainly why I stuck with Canons. Also, the time from switching on to being able to fire the first shot is close enough for me.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #18
BNSF_SD40-2B

I just got a Cannon 75-300mm lense for my XT at a local camera store for around $250.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #19
NicTrain35

I'm considering buying a Canon 50mm F/1.8. I'm also going to buy a lens with a good focal length (Canon 70-300 F/4 IS).The 50mm F/1.8 retails for $68 on Amazon. I hear the 50mm is the cheapest lens that Canon has (which I don't understand since F/1.8 is real fast). I found the 70-300 F/4 IS for $564.95. All in all, I feel that's a pretty good deal...

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #20
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSF_SD40-2B
By the way..........do you use a tripod with your 75-300mm lense? I'm just wondering since I just got a 75-300mm lense, should I get a stand?
Not usually, unless you are shooting in a low light situation where you need a longer shutter speed (ie: shutter speed is less than the focal length you are using), then use a tripod to reduce camera movement. I usually don't use my 75-300 f/4 in low light/dark (I stick with my 28-80 f/3.5), though when I do, I always use a tripod. All in all, daytime = no tripod, nighttime = yes tripod.

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #21
BNSF_SD40-2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by StL-rail
Not usually, unless you are shooting in a low light situation where you need a longer shutter speed (ie: shutter speed is less than the focal length you are using), then use a tripod to reduce camera movement. I usually don't use my 75-300 f/4 in low light/dark (I stick with my 28-80 f/3.5), though when I do, I always use a tripod. All in all, daytime = no tripod, nighttime = yes tripod.

Thanks for the advice. I took some photos yesterday when it was cloudy and they didn't turn out so good, so I was just wondering. Then I went out today and it was a little sunny and I had no problem with the photos. I have a 18-55mm lense so I'll stick with that when cloudy.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:23 AM   #22
mr_mathyou

Send a message via AIM to mr_mathyou

50mm lenses are usualy cheep. They are an easy focal length to produce, and they are the "standard" lens so a lot of research has gone into makeing them really good and cheep. Back in the day you got a 50mm instead of some cheepo zoom lens when you bought a camera. Too bad its not like that anymore. Almost any 50mm will be an incredably good lens. They are sharp, you can by a $1500+ zoom lens and a $100 50mm will still produce a sharper immage. They are fast. You were looking at an f/1.8 one thats about average for a 50mm. f/2 is considered slow for a 50mm =)

Its a good lens to have. Lots of people don't like them b/c its a focal length that is covered by their zoom lenses or what not. I like them. I have a 50mm which is the lens i use the most on my F2. For trains I prefer a telephoto lens, something like my 80-200 works well, but i've taken some nice photos with the 50, its just hard to get in close enough.

so yeah if you want a sharp fast lens a 50mm is a great deal.
~matt
mr_mathyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #23
Ween

This is my only shot in the database with the 50mm f/1.8:

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 131365
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

Not a bad result for <$80! Plus, it was impossible to get this shot with the 70-200mm.

BTW, f/1.8 is fast enough for me, even inside taking shots of my cat. It negates the need for the flash in many circumstances...
Old 02-11-2006, 02:17 AM   #24
Frederick

For some odd reason, photos from the Nikon D70 are a lot sharper than ones from the D50... even with the same lenses. Why is this?

Flickr Account
Old 03-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #25
CNW4404

Send a message via AIM to CNW4404

It could really be an issue with the photographer, conditions, or anything else. Most of the time I can't tell the difference between D200, D70, D70s or D50 photos.

I own a D50 and I'm very pleased with it. However, I bought the 18-70mm lens (which is standard for the D70) instead of the kit 18-55.