Old 08-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
bcplouffe

Default Protest or Let It Go?

This photo was rejected for being too dark. I've seen others taken from the same that are darker. Should I appeal or take it like a man and let it go?

Thanks

http://http://www.railpictures.net/v....php?id=279957
bcplouffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

Welcome bcpouffe to the forums.
The link is wrong and here is the correction
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=279957
The shot really suffer from poor lighting also its backlit.I mean that it was caught from the dark side of the train.Can you show us the pics that you saw as the same and darker?If i were you i would let it go and try again from the other side and more earlier if possible.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
Mustang11

That is all correct. Unfortunately it is too dark to get accepted here. Now if there is a different angle or time of day where you can get direct light on it then go for it and try again, but if its completely blocked by trees like in that photo, then there isn't much you can do. Sorry,

Brian

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
Ween

No need to protest...it's just far too backlit...
Old 08-20-2006, 01:39 AM   #5
Switched out

Agreed, the submitted shot suffers from poor lighting. You can fiddle with it a bit but I don't think its salvageable for inclusion here.

Another thing to keep in mind is cropping, the image has a lot of dead space either side of the loco. I tried it has a vertical (see attached image) which I think helped in giving the image a bit of impact but again the lighting is still the problem. I also tweaked the contrast and colour to give it a bit of life.

Cheers,

Christine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSX_1.jpg.98494.jpg (86.3 KB, 365 views)
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:32 AM   #6
mr_mathyou

Send a message via AIM to mr_mathyou

i would not bother resubmitting. while i like the angle the problem with the shot is that there is no direct light on the train. you are also on the side of the train that would is facing away from the sun. had there been direct light on it this would have affcted it much more.

Overall i enjoyed the photo just cause it has a real "back east" look to it. I'm from CA but go back to PA or near by there every year to visit family. With trees on each side like that it could be tricky to get gook lighting on the train, but keep trying cause i think the end results will be pritty awesome

~matt =)
mr_mathyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
bcplouffe

Thanks for all of your feedback. Reading the replies has helped me understand why the photo was rejected and will help me get better photos in the future.
bcplouffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:47 AM   #8
BNSFtex

Very rarely are appealed photos accepted on here. I would wait for a photo that def. would not be rejected.
BNSFtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:25 AM   #9
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSFtex
Very rarely are appealed photos accepted on here. I would wait for a photo that def. would not be rejected.
That's pretty inaccurate. I'd say that I accept 1 out of every 3 or 4 appeals.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:41 AM   #10
Ween

Quote:
Yeah, I'm in the mid-90% range on my appeals...are you speaking from experience or hearsay?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #11
BNSFtex

This is hearing from people. I have only submitted a couple of photos. I have heard people who have told me every photo they have ever submitted has been rejected and also on appeals. I guess they were exaggerating. Every photo I have appealed has been rejected, but the screener did a very good job of explaining his reason for so and again I have only submitted maybe 4 photos. I think some people just have a hard time explaining what they were trying to accomplish in the photo to the screener or simply the photo is bad and nothing will help it.
BNSFtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Ween

Quote:
This is hearing from people. I have only submitted a couple of photos. I have heard people who have told me every photo they have ever submitted has been rejected and also on appeals. I guess they were exaggerating.
There's alot of bad and negative talk about this site around the internet by people who are jaded for one reason or another, and those folks tend to go out on other railfan forums and spew this negative, biased, and false view.

Hope you find that all the negative things you heard about this site is hogwash now that you're here. I think you'll find the comparison of what you heard and what you see now that you're here will be night and day...
Old 08-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #13
busyEMT

Quote:
It depends on what you appeal and how you phrase your objection. I am sure a lot of the folks who go elsewhere to whine about the standards here appeal valid rejections.

This one got "bad motive"
Image © Aaron Florin
PhotoID: 156760
Photograph © Aaron Florin
I appealed it, its in. Like Ween, my successful appeals are up because I am more discerning in what I appeal.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote