Old 11-30-2006, 03:26 AM   #1
Dave Brook

Default It's only SD40's but......

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=311851

Sharp, well worn, but not making the grade. Any ideas?
Cheers
Dave Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:25 AM   #2
jdirelan87

foreground clutter + wedige isolated on the cabs = little to no chance of getting in. Sorry.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Mgoldman

You're supposed to say "I know, it's only SD40's.... "

"But I like it, like it, yes, I do!"

I like it, even if it's only a typical wedge shot.
Good for the database - not an otherwise
amazing photograph, unless there is some
personal value to you - like, you like SD40's, or
you had to jump out of a moving car to take
the photo....
I'd suggest a weed wacker next time!

/MG
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
I'd suggest a weed wacker next time!
A machetie works very well too

And its not just an SD40. It can be just another Dash-9, but its never just an SD40.

I do like that shot, though. I love that low, rail-head angle for a wedgie.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Traisessive

Send a message via MSN to Traisessive

I totally disagree. The weeds in the foreground just add to the naturalism of the shot. Why not accept that photo? You get rid of the weeds, you get rid of the natural trackside scenery.

RP Staff are just biased idiots now. I am sorry, I have had many pictured rejected that many people have said are really great. I don't even try to post pictures any more because they just get their jollies off of hitting the reject button.

There is nothing wrong with that pic. It's a natural railroading shot from low down. My gosh, we are only accepting perfect staged pics now. PERFECT pics.
Traisessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traisessive
I totally disagree. The weeds in the foreground just add to the naturalism of the shot. Why not accept that photo? You get rid of the weeds, you get rid of the natural trackside scenery.

RP Staff are just biased idiots now. I am sorry, I have had many pictured rejected that many people have said are really great. I don't even try to post pictures any more because they just get their jollies off of hitting the reject button.

There is nothing wrong with that pic. It's a natural railroading shot from low down. My gosh, we are only accepting perfect staged pics now. PERFECT pics.
Yawn!!! (not the picture, but the rant above.) The picture is fine, just not anything spectacular for this site.

By the way, that is some stunning natural trackside scenery. Dead grass. Whoa! (Again, nothing against the photograph.)

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 11-30-2006 at 09:30 PM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

Quote:

I suggest keeping quite since those "biased idiots" you speak of run this forum.

Dave, I forgot to ask above, did you try and appeal? It is a very nice shot.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:47 AM   #8
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

I kinda like the shot. Great light, sharp as a tack, a tight shot of two old workhorses doing their thing. But I do have a bias in favor of good light and SD40's. But I can understand why it was rejected, because it is "just" a wedgie of common power....but or course getting less common. Probably worth an appeal, and then get on with life.

John West
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:17 AM   #9
Matt Rivers

It feels a little tight to me, but otherwise, I like it. The weeds don't make or destroy the pic IMO, but i'd try to avoid them.
Matt Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:24 AM   #10
Frederick

Quote:
What makes you think the pics on the site are staged?

Flickr Account

Last edited by Frederick; 12-01-2006 at 02:31 AM.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 AM   #11
busyEMT

I know from personal experience that this worm's eye view angle is tough to get in here. I can't recall successfully appealling any "bad angle" shot. I like the angle (hence my occasional attempts at photos like yours), but as stated earlier, the grass with the locomotives so prominent in the frame, maybe skip this one.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
JRMDC

My view is that this mixes two shots, in a bad way. Since it is tight, it is sort of a roster shot or a pure power shot. Since there is no intent to capture the environment, the weeds in front muck it up. If the intent is to capture the environment, by including weeds, then the shot is too tight - we learn nothing about the location other than a few weeds. The two features of the shot, weeds and tight framing, are inconsistent. Pick one.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
Dave Brook

Thanks for the opinions(JRMDC..an "angle" that had never occured to me ).

As a rule, I don't appeal unless I think the screener overlooked something really out of the ordinary. Not the case in this photo which I liked for the light and crispness. I didn't think the weeds added or subtracted much at all. I figure it's their site, and can publish what they wish.

Cheers,
Dave Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:39 AM   #14
a231pacific

Dave,

I agree with John West, it's a nice shot and I think SD-40's are the F units of the 60's & 70's. For a tight shot, the weeds intruding into the engines are a bit distracting. A few minutes spent "gardening" would have helped. Or, as JRMDC suggested, going a bit wider would have set the train in the environment and the weeds would be less of a factor. I do like the looking up point of view though.

For the poster that carped about trimming the weeds being "staged" remember that there was once a time when the railroads took pride in their rights of way and kept them maintained. Also, when there are bottles and cans in the foreground, do you leave them or pick them up? One person's "staged" is another person's better photo, so I guess it's up to you to decide what works for you.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #15
Mike B.
Banned

I can see why this photo was rejected, in fact if I was in charge of accepting photos, I would have rejected this one too. The big problem that I see with it is that the only thing really in photo is the engines. A roster shot would have been more useful. You can't even see a complete first car and on top of that there are a lot of weeds, some of which are blocking the engines which is a big no-no in my opinion. Another thing is that this type of shot can be replicated basically anywhere because all it is, is two CP SD40-2s, some weeds and some leave-less trees. However, I do really like the angle the shot was taken at. Zoom out some, remove some weeds and you might have a good shot.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote