Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
JRMDC

Default Too Dark! OK, I get it! Now what? :)

Here are a couple of rejections for today.

The first one, I suspect there is no hope. For the record, the sun is directly on the nose and there is no light on either side of the train. And it was so low it could not even illuminate all of the platform surfaces. Let it go?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=335624

The second one, not sure. I could go brighter, but to me I wonder if it turns glint into white-out, blown out. What do you think?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=335623

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Matt Rivers

1st one probably can't be helped. It's more of an issue of photo location than processing.

Personally speaking ( don't know if this is possible), I'd love to see you crop the image a bit differently and even make it darker. Perhaps cropping out the bright yellow sign, and make the image a contrast between the shadowed person, and the red lights on the train, also showing more of the silhouetted roof structure. I'd even make it darker!........but I'm a bit eccentric too. Even so, it might be one of those dreaded "personal collection" shots. Love your POV though.
Matt Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Boxcar Jim

Default Too Dark

This is my first post to railroad photography and I have had more than a few sucessful shots published world wide. I most likely have a better than 50% of passing the screeners daily criteria. I liked the first shot but do not think you can rescue the second.

I was thinking that railroad photography has not changed all that much since Matthew Brady published his Civil War collection. The rules follow:

sun at your shoulder or back, foreground, subject and background. The only thing that has changed is the addition of color.

Jim Satterwhite
Greenville, Texas
Boxcar Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
WembYard

Looks as if you had better luck at Frankfurt than I did earlier this week, it was overcast with very flat light - not conducive for decent pictures.
Afraid I have to agree regarding letting the Odenwald Bahn one go, not only is it back-lit, I find the equipment on the central platform slightly distracting as it is catching the light.
The ICE one has more chance, definitely crop the yellow advert from the left hand side - this would also remove some of the sky which I find too bright. I would also try increasing the contrast to give more of a silhouette.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
jason15c

Default ICE pic

I have always found that shooting from inside a train shed looking out into daylight will always give you this type of shot. Way too much contrast between one end of the train and the other. In the case of the ICE, the front end is dark, but the back of the train has blown the highlights. There is a very easy way to cure this though - try taking the same pic at night when the background will be dark and you can expose for the front of the train without blowing the highlights at the back of the train.
This next bit though is purely my personal preference - I would back off the focal length or stand further back so that there is a bit more room around the train and the top of the arc of the train shed is included in the picture. This in my opinion will give a much more balanced photo.

Jason
jason15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
JRMDC

Janet, Matt, I will give your suggestions a go, thanks for them. Or I might wait, I have another backlit special that I might submit first, then see what they do with this one. Although there should be no restriction on successive backlit station shots? We'll see. I have a bunch from that day - the front-lit was a problem given the angle of the sun. I did get one in today:
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 174610
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

Jim, with all due respect, "sun at your shoulder or back" hasn't been a valid restriction for some time. Take a look at the "Screener's Choice" shots here at RP, many of those are back-lit or otherwise creatively lit. Here's my own contribution:
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 174510
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason15c
There is a very easy way to cure this though - try taking the same pic at night when the background will be dark and you can expose for the front of the train without blowing the highlights at the back of the train.
I'll surely do that in the highly unlikely event that I return there. It was a one-time business trip.

Quote:
I would back off the focal length or stand further back so that there is a bit more room around the train and the top of the arc of the train shed is included in the picture.
Looking back at my pictures, one thing I regret is not getting better shots of the shed. I have one shot of several of the sheds from outside, but the trains are tiny and there are other issues so I am not submitting it to RP. I have some night shots from inside the shed - I had dinner from a restaurant overlooking one of the main sheds - but I don't think I have anything RP worthy.

I should have done as you suggested, both from outside and in. But some more shots are coming, hopefully one or two more will be accepted.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
JRMDC

Ultimately, no go on either one. Here's the final attempt on the ICE:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=335770

Moving on...

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
Switched out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Ultimately, no go on either one. Here's the final attempt on the ICE:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=335770

Moving on...
I gave it a tweak in Photoshop as you can see. The shot it self lends it self to a bit of High dynamic range work. If you had the time and a tripod you take multiple shots at different exposures, exposing for the shadows, highlights and mid-ranges and then with a bit of Photoshop trickery you combine them into one image that looks correctly exposed from the bright areas to the dark areas in the image.

Christine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Station.FrankfurtPSrw.jpg (86.6 KB, 107 views)
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
JRMDC

Ah, superb, Christine! Excellent demonstration.

I have yet to tackle learning HDR. Maybe I'll come back to this one some day. Although, other than being an ICE and so sleek, it's an ordinary image and I should probably learn HDR on something more worthy. On the other hand, maybe this one is simple enough that it would make for a good first try.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 02-09-2007 at 10:42 AM.