Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default Do you lose interest?

I notice that when a pile of the same looking shots go on together I quite clicking the thumbnails after the first couple. Like today a bunch of good looking shots of Indiana's new locomotive from different people were accepted and I just lost interest. Does that happen to you? I try to stagger similiar shots the best I can.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
I notice that when a pile of the same looking shots go on together I quite clicking the thumbnails after the first couple. Like today a bunch of good looking shots of Indiana's new locomotive from different people were accepted and I just lost interest. Does that happen to you? I try to stagger similiar shots the best I can.
Call me an elitist or picky or a snob or whatever, but at this point I pretty much will not click on any wedgies unless they have Chessie power and maybe Conrail or if there is some sort of an interesting light apparent. And so I pass on clicking on most images. In fact, on a typical display of 15 images at a time, I will click on an average of two or so.

Now, in part this is because the volume of shots here greatly exceeds my time to view them.

And then I wonder why my shots get so few views.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Call me an elitist or picky or a snob or whatever, but at this point I pretty much will not click on any wedgies unless they have Chessie power and maybe Conrail or if there is some sort of an interesting light apparent. And so I pass on clicking on most images. In fact, on a typical display of 15 images at a time, I will click on an average of two or so.

Now, in part this is because the volume of shots here greatly exceeds my time to view them.

And then I wonder why my shots get so few views.
You click on all mine though, right!
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
You click on all mine though, right!
Trevor Devine is one of the finest photographers on RP; I view his shots as a matter of routine.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
WembYard

I can identify with both of you. It is rare for me to have enough time to spend as much time as I would like to look through all the shots, especially if a couple of days have elapsed and there are hundreds of new ones to look through

I will also admit to skipping through when there are a load of shots of the same special working or photo charter.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Anything wedgie-esque I skip over unless something catches my eye, maybe special power or a few comments making it seem like there is something different about it. As for when two or more people add a series of shots from one event or chase, I'm actually more likely to click on all of them as I did with the Indiana Railroad MAC. It helps that the photog(s) submitting actual know something about composition and shooting "locations" rather than an endless supply of crossing wedgies. I love how different each shot was; a few bridges (short, tall, medium-tall), a tunnel, water (pond and river)... It was just an enjoyable day to view a series.

I guess I railfan through the photos that others add...if you have a successful chase with different angles/scenes why not show the best in a row.

Photo charters don't really get 'old' for me unless the same scene or setup or location gets added 20 times within 2 weeks. It also doesn't help when a freeloader or wedgie shooter adds a boring shot that will only get 200 views and make people sick of seeing the particular event or engine sooner. If quality shots keep getting added I don't think people would have a problem.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
mark woody

As a non U.S. resident i find most shots on RP interesting,but must admit i find it tedious sometimes when most shots are of similar power and the same angles.I really enjoy shots of older power Alcos,E units and especially switchers.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I'm gonna turn this around a bit, but before I do, I tend to be biased sometimes. More often than not, I view only shots from my area and the surrounding area (Pittsburgh area). I just honestly do not believe that there is enough shots from this area, look up Pittsburgh and you DO get 1,079 photo's of Pittsburgh alone. There are numerous and probably thousands more from the surrounding area, no kidding, but still, I don't feel as there is enough. And I apologize before hand if that offends anyone. I do click on wedgies, but more of the glinty-artsy-head on type photos. I have no right to judge anyone's photo's as I am pretty new to submitting, a year is all I have under my belt, but I have been viewing this site for a number of years. When RP was less strict, in which I'm kinda glad they are now but that's a different story, I used to view ALL of the photo's.

Now, as I said, I'm gonna turn this around....

I have lost interest, how can I say this. In MY shooting when I'm out railfanning. I am sick and dang tired of all of my poor attempts at some decent photography. And please, don't take this as a gripe or bitch. I want to do more than a wedgie, I want to make some GREAT photographs. I enjoy taking photo's, I have hundreds of them in my personal collection, but I'd love to make that one "stunning" photograph, but I just don't have the know how. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I love the hobby of railfanning, I love taking the picture as that freight comes barreling towards me, but when I look at that little LCD after I press that shutter button and I see a wedgie before my eyes, I just think.....eh? I do everything right, EXCEPT make a decent composition. I guess really, I'm afraid if RP is going to accept a shot where you have more than a loco and some cars behind it, such as some cars or a nice park or a river.

Ben

*Sorry if I went on too much
Old 09-12-2008, 04:38 AM   #9
SDavey

Quote:
I just honestly do not believe that there is enough shots from this area, look up Pittsburgh and you DO get 1,079 photos of Pittsburgh alone. There are numerous and probably thousands more from the surrounding area, no kidding, but still, I don't feel as there is enough.
Actually I feel that Pennsylvania is one of the most overshot states. Usually I only do a search for whatís been added from Michigan and Illinois for the most part because thatís what parts of the county I live in and where I visit the most.

Quote:
Photo charters don't really get 'old' for me unless the same scene or setup or location gets added 20 times within 2 weeks.
Being from Michigan also means everyone flocks to Owosso for the Pere Marquette 1225 excursions. Yes I like the 1225, donít get me wrong, but there is just a glutton of shots from within a few miles of Owosso, and everyone coming from out of state doesnít help that fact either. Youíll notice that all of shots of the 1225 have been when it ran to Northern Michigan or the Saginaw Bay area.

Itís also gotten to the point where Iíll just search for a few of my favorite photographers that submit to railpictures. This fact means that I will eliminate looking at about 90% of the photographs submitted.

Last edited by SDavey; 09-12-2008 at 04:41 AM.
SDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #10
asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDavey
because thatís what parts of the county I live in and where I visit the most.

Case in point.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #11
asis80

Quote:
Actually I feel that Pennsylvania is one of the most overshot states.

Also, coal fields and the steel valley......

......there's bound to be a train or two dude.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 AM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Anything wedgie-esque I skip over unless something catches my eye, maybe special power or a few comments making it seem like there is something different about it. As for when two or more people add a series of shots from one event or chase, I'm actually more likely to click on all of them as I did with the Indiana Railroad MAC. It helps that the photog(s) submitting actual know something about composition and shooting "locations" rather than an endless supply of crossing wedgies.
It also helps when the photogs can level them before submitting, too. How did those two bridge shots (same bridge, different photographer) get by the screener?

I'm 2.1 degrees CW away from giving this a PCA (beautiful shot, Michael!):

Image © Michael Biehn
PhotoID: 250484
Photograph © Michael Biehn

Edit...looks great, Michael!

Last edited by JimThias; 09-12-2008 at 06:27 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
Everywhere West

Default level ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
It also helps when the photogs can level them before submitting, too. How did those two bridge shots (same bridge, different photographer) get by the screener?

Image © Michael Biehn
Your right, I can`t believe the shots that are unlevel.
"You ain't stopping at this hotel, kid. My hotel! The stars at night, I put 'em there. And I know the presidents, all of them. And I go where I damn well please. Even the chairman of the New York Central can't do it better. My road, kid, and I don't give lessons and I don't take partners. Your ass don't ride this train!"
Everywhere West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
I have lost interest, how can I say this. In MY shooting when I'm out railfanning. I am sick and dang tired of all of my poor attempts at some decent photography. And please, don't take this as a gripe or bitch. I want to do more than a wedgie, I want to make some GREAT photographs. I enjoy taking photo's, I have hundreds of them in my personal collection, but I'd love to make that one "stunning" photograph, but I just don't have the know how.
You can do the research, check the lighting and the weather, get yourself in the right place at the right time................but in the end, a lot of the really stunning shots will come down to that bit of luck, not planning, or thinking about the shot beforehand. You'll be out somewhere, maybe even a location you have shot at many times before and suddenly your brain will register a combination of lighting and composition you hadn't noticed, or didn't exist before.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
Rui Nunes

Send a message via MSN to Rui Nunes

I usually come to RP in the morning and late at night, and there are usually, 50 + new pics on each of those occasions. I scroll through them, but opening more than 10 is extremely rare.

The usual CSX, NS, whatever wedgie just doesn't get to me . Especially the ones where a tele lens was used and heat distortion is way emphasized...
Plus, there's those times when you open a pic, because it looks good on thumb and then what do you see? A huge "RAILPICTURES.NET" splattered across the screen. Very sad.

The ones with nice reflections, long bridges, snow in the right amounts, cliffs and trains snaking through them are sure to be opened by me. The rest, sorry but no.

Oh, and sunset / glint shots. Love'em
- It doesn't make sense to speak seriously to someone who is joking. On the other hand, if you were joking I wouldn't take you seriously. It's a complicated situation, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rui_gv_nunes/
Rui Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80

I have lost interest, how can I say this. In MY shooting when I'm out railfanning. I am sick and dang tired of all of my poor attempts at some decent photography.

Ben
This may help Ben get up at 5 am or what it takes to get out of town, with a planed spot on a map that has the track pointing to the sun, This maybe a long term project trying to get trains, sun to both show at the same time. make it a goal to make it work, at one spot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
asis80

Hey Richard! I actually did that not too long ago and some pretty cool stuff turned out because it was really foggy but the sun still shone through it all, pretty cool effects, check out my recent photo's from Derry a couple days ago and you'll see.

Ben
Old 09-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
F40PH271

Quote:
Sorry for living here?
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
That, of course, is a matter of taste. I would say that Cajon and Tehachapi are the most overshot locations. States are too large to be meaningful in thinking about "overshot," at least to my mind. (Well, except for Monolith, which for some reason I have taken to despite never having been or even much liking the desert, but I'll get bored of it eventually and probably soon.)

But the most overshot location is that mysterious place, it seems to move about the country actually, if not the world, where the landscape is formless, the light over the shoulder, the surroundings dull, and the trains strangely appear as wedge-shaped apparitions from almost any angle along the track.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #20
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Here are some thoughts about the few little discussions going one here:

1.) Locations are not overshot...angles are. One thing I pride myself on (as well as other photogs such as Mike W.) is being able to go to a location that has been shot by countless others and coming away with something that makes people go.."really, that was *insert location*?!" Sometimes thats all thats there; a little break in the trees or a small opening on a hillside, but that doesn't mean that shooting with "sweet light" on the scene is the only option. Make it your own. Do a night shot. Go on a cloudy day and shoot on the opposite side. Go at dawn or dusk and get the first/last glow.

2.) I agree with Richard about getting up and out early to get back into the game. Sometimes all you need to get into it again is different light or just a different set of trains. I know many places (including NJ) get predictable from talking to the local railfans so go out and get what the late sleepers or ones who pack it in early miss. Also, make that LIST of shots you want to get and BE SPECIFIC! There is nothing worse than having a train get caught at a red signal and being able to get ahead but having no idea where to go. Scout, scout, scout! Everyone always asks me how I get lucky to include boats, fisherman and other real props in my shots and I guess my only answer (other than luck) is knowing where to look! I can't believe I'm saying this but be Mike B. for a day and be picky...shoot the power you want even if it means going out and away from your normal shooting area to get it. If you don't like the endless parade of widecabs, shoot a branch or secondary or a shortline.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
Darryl Rule

If PA is way overshot, then I would love to hear the word for Illinois. Funny thing is, both places mentioned happen to be 2 of the states with the highest volume of trains and rails, so that would only make sense.

As for pictures I look at, I look for certain photographers as well alot, and if not, then something that just catches my eye. All the shots where you can't see a train, I never click on. I have no interest in looking at 3 headlights.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #22
ccaranna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias

Image © Michael Biehn
Wait, I'm confused; was the shot in this quote resubmitted after leveling? It looks OK to me, and I will be the first one to agree that the number of accepted unlevel shots here can be a bit puzzling. Here's one that still has me scratching my head:

Image © John Ryan
PhotoID: 250037
Photograph © John Ryan

I can't quite make it out; is the light brown grassy part of the landscape actually sloped like that? The trees and other objects on that part of the horizon appear "off". As for the distant mountains, the train, and the sky, they look "right", but the tracks in the foreground and everything else look really tilted. I realize that the tracks may be superelevated, but I'm not convinced they really were. It's a nice shot, but there's something about it that doesn't sit well with me.

As far as the point of this thread: The best advice I ever heard on the internet about train photography was "Just shoot what you want." I'll add, "Stop trying to be someone else, and who cares what others think". You can't please everyone. While its nice to get positive feedback from your peers, praise and fame shouldn't be the sole reason for doing anything, especially when it comes to something that is personal and creative.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #23
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
I can't quite make it out; is the light brown grassy part of the landscape actually sloped like that? The trees and other objects on that part of the horizon appear "off". As for the distant mountains, the train, and the sky, they look "right", but the tracks in the foreground and everything else look really tilted. I realize that the tracks may be superelevated, but I'm not convinced they really were. It's a nice shot, but there's something about it that doesn't sit well with me.
It does have an odd look to it but as far as I can tell everything is OK. The line dividing light and darker can be non-level if what is forming the line is not perpendicular to the line of sight of the camera, and to my eye that is the case here. The left end of the line is on land considerably closer to the camera than the right end. The top of the mountain ridge is, broadly speaking (because is isn't a flat ridge), horizontal. The lead engine looks vertical, as do the vertical droppings on the inside of the left rail.

Overall, to me it looks like an optical illusion that is actually properly leveled. But it certainly has a strong feel of tilt to it!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #24
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
Wait, I'm confused; was the shot in this quote resubmitted after leveling? It looks OK to me, and I will be the first one to agree that the number of accepted unlevel shots here can be a bit puzzling.
Yes, Michael leveled it and resubmit it. Now I urge you all...give him a PCA!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #25
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Here are some thoughts about the few little discussions going one here:

1.) Locations are not overshot...angles are. One thing I pride myself on (as well as other photogs such as Mike W.) is being able to go to a location that has been shot by countless others and coming away with something that makes people go.."really, that was *insert location*?!" Sometimes thats all thats there; a little break in the trees or a small opening on a hillside, but that doesn't mean that shooting with "sweet light" on the scene is the only option. Make it your own. Do a night shot. Go on a cloudy day and shoot on the opposite side. Go at dawn or dusk and get the first/last glow.

2.) I agree with Richard about getting up and out early to get back into the game. Sometimes all you need to get into it again is different light or just a different set of trains. I know many places (including NJ) get predictable from talking to the local railfans so go out and get what the late sleepers or ones who pack it in early miss. Also, make that LIST of shots you want to get and BE SPECIFIC! There is nothing worse than having a train get caught at a red signal and being able to get ahead but having no idea where to go. Scout, scout, scout! Everyone always asks me how I get lucky to include boats, fisherman and other real props in my shots and I guess my only answer (other than luck) is knowing where to look! I can't believe I'm saying this but be Mike B. for a day and be picky...shoot the power you want even if it means going out and away from your normal shooting area to get it. If you don't like the endless parade of widecabs, shoot a branch or secondary or a shortline.
As most of you know, I am a real noob at this train photography stuff. I have been shooting since May of '08. Andrew should really know since I have about 30 times more rejects than I have ones that got in. I am not a true railfan, I just like trains. Phoenix is a pretty boring place when it comes to rail traffic...that is unless you like endless autoracks or 7000' long pigs. Because of that, I decided that wedgies here, with the power we get, just wont cut it......... So, as Andrew pointed out so well, I am going to try to find a shot even when it may not be there (hence my 873 rejects!!) I shoot, and shoot, and shoot.......... Step to the right........to the left.....kneel, get up on the cab of my truck.......... You gotta look and maybe, just maybe, you will find a hidden gem...... Thats whats fun!!

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote