Old 02-04-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
blueeyeddevil06

Send a message via AIM to blueeyeddevil06 Send a message via Yahoo to blueeyeddevil06
Default Here we go again...HELP!!!

Hello again guys....more opinions please!

Ok, Jim, I went almost exactly by your picture down to the T on exposure and color and such and this is what I got....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=917272094
- Unlevel Horizon....Ehhh. If they are going by the bridge, it natually slopes that way. The case is the same for the telephone poles... I did appeal it saying such.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=169574633
- Overexposed and I REALLY don't see it. Especially compared to what it used to be.

I was just looking for more of your wonderful guidance. Thank you!!

My railpictures!

My Fiance's railpictures!
blueeyeddevil06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
JRMDC

huh! the leveling, it looks good to me. If I magnify it, one can see the need for an ever slight CCW rotation (1/2 degree? 1/4 degree?) to get the container edges vertical, but that puts the cab even more over, so I don't see the point. It is really, really tiny.

BTW, never level on poles, and in general look for vertical lines to make vertical, not horizontal lines, whenever possible. Horizontal lines can fool you.

The overexposed, knock it down a tad, maybe reduce the sharpening a bit also. Sorry for the go arounds, but that is the process.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
BNSF6048

I don't know but in the first picture I see a slight tilt to the left on the engine cab that "might" be what they are seeing???

The second one I agree tone it down abit as already suggested.

Just my 2 maybe 3 cents.
BNSF6048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #4
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

This wouldnt really be a major problem like its turned into if the upload limit was greater than 2. how is she supposed to learn anything when near perfect (standards here) shots can't get in. I don't think it's much of a learning curve. This is her 3rd or 4th try......and I've even processed them once. Don't understand it......

Ben
Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

I like #1, and don't agree at all with the rejection. I think the screener was confused by the banked curve.

#2 though, it is a wee bright, easy fix and try it again.

Ben, contact me off list and I can help you guys with it if you'd like.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
Freericks
Met Fan

I agree 99.99% with Steve (I think I do see a slight tilt in the first one, but is very minor).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
This wouldnt really be a major problem like its turned into if the upload limit was greater than 2. how is she supposed to learn anything when near perfect (standards here) shots can't get in. I don't think it's much of a learning curve. This is her 3rd or 4th try......and I've even processed them once. Don't understand it......

Ben
Unfortunately, RP is completely run by only a few individuals. Only two major site administrators and a hand full of photo screener's. As far as I am aware only the two site administrators profit from the site, the others volunteer their time. This strictly limits the amount of man hours that can be put into the site at any given time. The team wants to put out a high quality product and does not have the time to be constantly rejecting the same photo. The screener's aren't here to make anyone a better photographer (although it may appear to some that way), simply a form of quality control.

I'm still in favor for the high standards RP tries to maintain. To be honest, I wish they were even more strict sometimes. Then again, in the last 3-4 years my personal standards have gone WAY up, you need just look at most of my portfolio here to realize that. My first 60+ photos are simply garbage.

I think it might be best for Jennifer to post in the forums before trying to upload next time. There are plenty of people here that would love to help her get her ability equal to the standards which are necessary to have a photo accepted.

Jennifer, next time you have a shot you would like to submit, try posting an original sized down version here on the forums. There are plenty of us which would be capable of applying the necessary post processing to the image and give you step-by-step instructions on what was done so you would have a better understanding of what to do.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
lock4244

I don't see any problem requiring leveling in the first shot... seems odd it was rejected for that reason. That said, it's probably not worth getting too flustered about. So they didn't get in after a couple of trys, no big deal, PC them and move onto the next shots you'd like to submit. No point in flogging a dead horse, and you've got some shots in the db that are much better than these two, IMO (like the bridge shots or the street running).

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #9
BNSFFan4Life

Appeal the first one telling the screeners that THEY are the problem.
BNSFFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyeddevil06
- Overexposed and I REALLY don't see it. Especially compared to what it used to be.
I see it, and it's quite a simple fix if you have photoshop. Layers, opacity, multiply...that is your key to overexposed shots.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #11
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSFFan4Life
Appeal the first one telling the screeners that THEY are the problem.
A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha woo...that'll show 'em!!!!

Oh, man, thanks...I needed a good laugh tonight, and this was it!

Fail.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

There not right every time, they go thru them so fast some times. 1 is right on i think for level but may need the highlights nocked down a bit too, and 2 is just a bit bright looking, may just need a bit of highlight shadow and just drag the highlights down just a tich. and i think you guys are getting some free schooling as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 02-04-2009 at 10:41 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC

BTW, never level on poles, and in general look for vertical lines to make vertical, not horizontal lines, whenever possible. Horizontal lines can fool you.
I had shots kicked for out of level that I leveled with a level before I shot it. In some shot's one cant tell from what's in the shot if it right or not. The banking on a curve gets them a lot of times. Most lines have some 1/2" at 10 MPH to 2" on a 50 MPH is common on some lines, some curves on the old SF have 3+, thats a lot if you have to stop on it and want to keep it on the rail starting it back up.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
asis80

She appealed both of them, and the leveling one still got rejected. I just really don't see where it needs leveled. Maybe one of the Chris's can give some input? I see the problem with the overexposed, but not the unlevel as there are too many unlevel factors here (ie bridge, trees, poles)

Ben
Old 02-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
I had shots kicked for out of level that I leveled with a level before I shot it. In some shot's one cant tell from what's in the shot if it right or not. The banking on a curve gets them a lot of times. Most lines have some 1/2" at 10 MPH to 2" on a 50 MPH is common on some lines, some curves on the old SF have 3+, thats a lot if you have to stop on it and want to keep it on the rail starting it back up.
I find that, or believe that for leveling, it helps to explain in your remarks to the screener what you leveled on. Banking on curves is well known; in those cases one goes for something other than the train.

In this case, I remember from when I looked at it the other day, different parts of the train are leaning in different directions, but those leans are fractions of a degree. So the banked curve doesn't explain it. It seems fine to me and I can't figure out the problem.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #16
asis80

She DID explain J it's something I always do and told her to get into the habit of doing it. There's a nasty dip where the switch is and it's not a high speed bank, as this is the entrance to connellsville yard. So the limit is 20 through here, so it wasn't going fast. I just dont get it at all.

Ben
Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
She DID explain J it's something I always do and told her to get into the habit of doing it. There's a nasty dip where the switch is and it's not a high speed bank, as this is the entrance to connellsville yard. So the limit is 20 through here, so it wasn't going fast. I just dont get it at all.

Ben
That part of my statement was in response to Richard, not a statement that you guys didn't do something, and it was not even an opposing view, just elaboration. I agree that some shots are hard to level and I was just saying that it helps to give the screener some guidance.

And, as I said, I have no clue as to why Jennifer's shot is not considered level.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
milwman
I shoot what I like

Ok well what i did is 1%cc as the light pole is right now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Help photo blue eyes.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	3725  

Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #19
blueeyeddevil06

Send a message via AIM to blueeyeddevil06 Send a message via Yahoo to blueeyeddevil06

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
Ok well what i did is 1%cc as the light pole is right now
Ohhh!!! That dang light pole on the bridge. I completely forgot it was there. Maybe that is what they were looking at. No matter. I will fix it when I get home tonight. I really appreciate all your help, guys. Thank you bunches.

As for the other photo: I will fix it also, but I'm going to post it here and get your opinions on it before submission (as was suggested and I think I really like that idea considering my temporary limit of two). Thank you!

My railpictures!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #20
Ween

Jen and Ben,

You are SO close to nailing things...hang in there. The changes you need to make are very minimal, so I guess the consolation is that you don't have to start from scratch. Just some tweaking and you'll be good to go...
Old 02-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #21
blueeyeddevil06

Alrighty! Here we go.

Before:

After:
Thoughts? Changes? Thanks, guys!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	3727  

My railpictures!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #22
JRMDC

Looks like you changed the exposure and also cranked up the color saturation and/or contrast. The latter didn't work out well to me.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #23
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyeddevil06
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=917272094
- Unlevel Horizon....Ehhh. If they are going by the bridge, it natually slopes that way. The case is the same for the telephone poles... I did appeal it saying such.
As noted by J, always look for vertical lines to level to; excepting distortion effects from wide-angle lenses, vertical lines often appear to me to be represented correctly and can be used as a reference for rotating a shot in post-processing (I find that no matter how hard I try, most of my shots are skewed at least a half-degree one way or the other).

Pay particular things you know MUST be vertical, such as bridge piers, buildings, and -- for the most part on mainline railroads and applicable in this situation -- railcars on tangent track. Many other man-made objects don't need to be constructed truly in plane to perform as intended (poles, signals, signposts, etc). In the case of this shot, I'd rotate CCW so that the ribs on the red containers are vertical.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #24
blueeyeddevil06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Looks like you changed the exposure and also cranked up the color saturation and/or contrast. The latter didn't work out well to me.
The previous one got rejected for being overexposed, so yes I changed the exposure. Do you think I darkened it too much then? Yes, I boosted the saturation too based on what Chris Kilroy said about CSX's yellow color in sunlight. I don't know. We'll see what the screeners think I suppose...Thank you for your opinion, J!

My railpictures!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #25
asis80

Holy crap they got in!