Old 12-07-2014, 01:11 AM   #201
ShortlinesUSA

Very interesting development here. RJ Corman is an interesting choice, and possibly due to the fact they can handle the bridge and trackwork in house, making the cost of getting the line back in service a bit less for them than other operators who would have to contract these services out.

Hopefully all of the final details are worked out and this goes through. I'm also curious if the provision of the Pippens owning the last few miles of track at Mullins will stand. I would think RJ Corman executives have been around this business long enough to know that part of the deal stinks worse than a manure pile on a cattle ranch.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #202
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Still percolating

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...567b7fe14.html
Old 12-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #203
TheOldMan

Thanks for posting the link, Joe.

-John Fogherty, Green River
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #204
TheOldMan

Default Thanks For the Post, ShortlinesUSA

Thanks for the post, ShortlinesUSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
. . . I'm also curious if the provision of the Pippens owning the last few miles of track at Mullins will stand. I would think RJ Corman executives have been around this business long enough to know that part of the deal stinks worse than a manure pile on a cattle ranch.
Your post above, states things much stronger than you did in Post 186, on Page 9, where you asked:

"Am I being overly skeptical when I see those 7 miles being a future point of contention?"

Also, in some of the reports I have red it is stated that B & A will keep the Depot in Conway.

Will the House Track and Runaround track(s) at the depot be sold to the new owners?

Old 12-13-2014, 02:28 AM   #205
ShortlinesUSA

I have to admit, you caught me off teleprompter on that one! I would tend to think anything track related will go to the new owners. Sounds like the Pippins may want to retain the depot as their base of operations, for whatever future endeavors they wish.

I recall walking in there to check on what was going on for the day many years ago, and marveling at what a palatial estate they had for a relatively small shortline.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #206
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Video of a story that aired tonight. Negotiations are ongoing --

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/sto...5#.VJIZmMs5DIU
Old 12-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #207
TheOldMan

Thanks for the post, Joe.

The front page of the Sun-News also had a story yesterday, which said that Corman was not planning to run tourist season excursion trains, but might run such trains at Halloween and Christmas.

Of course, it was stated as usual, that Corman's policy is to nether confirm or deny that any saloe negoitiations are going on.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #208
ShortlinesUSA

Looks like the deal is a go. See the STB link below for official details. It appears the Pippins will only retain ownership of a mile of track in Whiteville, so the portion we have discussed about them retaining the last few miles into Mullins appears to be off the table.

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.n...257dcb006fd5f2

It's amazing to me this is all transpiring with an operator at the level of RJ Corman coming in. I hope they can make a go of this line and bring more industry and jobs into a distressed economic area of my home state.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #209
TheOldMan

Thanks for posting the link.

I clicked on it and saved it for further study.

It seems like the "closing date?" for the sale is Feb 11 of this year.

Will have to do some calculating to locate the Whiteville Mile which B & A will be keeping.

Any idea what the purpose of their keeping that one mile will be?

I remember that the original proposal to keep the 7 miles from Mullins to Nichols, and charge Corman a lease payment per car.

So far, I haven't seen if Corman will be charged a payment for the right to operate over the Whiteville Mile.

Like yourself, I am hoping that with Corman having a good reputation, they will be able to attract high volume freight shippers needed to make the line successful.

Corman's FSTB filing said they did not expect more than $5 Million yearly? income.

And, the matter of the Horry County owned ffinal 14 miles from Conway to Myrtle Beach.

There is of course, New South, which ships Lumber out, and Builder's First Source, and 84 Lumber, which ship lumber and drywall in, both of these being low volume shippers.

Also, would Coastal Biodiesel, which shipped tank cars in and out of their Red Hill location, be reopeing, if the Conway-Myrtle Beach track is reopened?

In his filing with the FSTB, Mr. Pippin said the company (formerly called Martin Marietta) that owns the high volume crushed stone facility at Pine Island, would no longer be shipping to that location.

Would they change their minds, or sell the facility to another crushed stone company that could be interested?

For now, the main concern is getting the Mullins to Whiteville and Conway track back into operating condition, which Corman says they will start doing after the sale is completed.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #210
TheOldMan

I looked at Corman's FSTB filing closer, and February 11, 2015 was called the date of "consummation" of the sale of the railroad, noting that that was not the "closing date."

Also, the "Whiteville Mile," which B&A is keeping ownership of, is the final mile to the terminal point of the Whiteville line.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 AM   #211
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I just saw this. Still nothing I can find in local media. Thanks for posting, Mike.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #212
TheOldMan

Default Found One Net Story

Joe, I found one Net story on the sale, in a Net magazine, which has only a headline, and the first few lines of the story, then "read more" and of course, a paid subscription is required to read the rest.

Printed out a copy, and gave it to an interested friend.

Here's a link to the magazine:

http://www.easternrailroadnews.com/

Last edited by TheOldMan; 01-20-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #213
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I have a few calls in to get more information. I can't access the Eastern Railroad News site either right now. Bummer, because that was one link I was hoping to provide a possible article to about this. I'm interested in hearing about the line in Horry County.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 AM   #214
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

More on Corman coming in including a steel mill waiting to hear for sure before announcing a plant in Loris --

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...e-nearing.html
Old 01-22-2015, 01:18 AM   #215
ShortlinesUSA

I have access to ERN, and the story is nothing more than the STB filing I provided above, so no worries.

I have strong suspicions the Pippins are holding onto the Whiteville Mile for some sort of tax purposes. That is, they are still "in the business" and getting some sort of benefit from this status. This is only my speculation; I do not have any firm knowledge of the implications of still owning a piece of the railroad.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:40 AM   #216
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Maybe TOM can confirm, but someone on Facebook said that stretch of track is overgrown with a row of boxcars sitting on it.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 01-22-2015 at 03:43 AM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #217
TheOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Maybe TOM can confirm, but someone on Facebook said that stretch of track is overgrown with a row of boxcars sitting on it.
Thanks for the post, Joe.

Yesterday, I had to go to Homewood, SC, on Highway 701, which parallels the railroad from Conway to Loris.

Will check out that stretch of track later.

Just where is the Industrial park, located in Loris?

Recently there was a question about whether CALA has any locomotives at the depot in Conway.

I drove by there yesterday, and, yes, there is one locomotive on the house track with some freight cars.

Will get some photos.

In my observations of the track along Highway 701 yesterday, I was surprised that what I did see of it, was remarkably free of weeds.

But, that was in the area from Conway to Homewood, not Loris.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #218
BR549

Some years ago, a cut of open-top hoppers that resembled coal cars were placed on the further most end of the line into Whiteville, stopping just short of downtown. It was almost as many to constitute being called a unit train. At the point of the economic crash in 2008 when more and more railcars began being put in storage, more storage cars of various type were placed on the mainline beyond the Georgia Pacific plant towards Whiteville, essentially "blocking in" the coal cars. The last time I was in Whiteville (at least 5 years ago), vegetation and trees had already overtaken the coal cars. At the point in time when the railroad shut down in 2011, there were so many storage cars on the Whiteville end of the railroad, access to Georgia Pacific had been choked out. I'm pretty certain that the cut of storage cars on the Whiteville end of the railroad now end just on the Chadbourn side of Peacocks Crossing.

Tom, Loris Industrial Park is located on the north side of Loris, just to the north of Food Lion on the left if you're headed towards Tabor City. There was no railroad access to the industrial park prior to the railroad shutting down, but it wouldn't take much to make it happen.

As far as locomotives in Conway, the 3617 and 100 were the two that got trapped in Conway after the shut down.

Personally, I couldn't think of a more experienced and well equipped company to be coming into this picture. Corman is beating G&W out of third-party switching contracts left and right, if that says anything about their service. I see nothing but good things coming out of this deal.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #219
TheOldMan

BR549, thanks for the post.

In all the years I went to Whiteville in the late 1990s and early 200s, I never realized that the lumber company right before the end of the line was Georgia Pacific.

Although it seemed to be open at the time, I never noticed any trains on the sidings (I think there was more than one).

I know that in the press reports, it was mentioned that there was a second filing by Corman, in which they stated that if they did not come to a final agreement with B&A dba CS, CAALA, they would file with the FSTB to force the sale.

Of course, that's second hand, and I plan to read the filing to know exactly what was said.

Took some photos of the track and rolling stock in Homewood, South Carolina, within the past hour.

Three hopper cars at the farm supply company. I suppose those could be empties that were caught by the closing.

Also, three more hopper cars some distance down that same track, which I would suppose might have been storage cars.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:29 AM   #220
BR549

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
BR549, thanks for the post.

In all the years I went to Whiteville in the late 1990s and early 200s, I never realized that the lumber company right before the end of the line was Georgia Pacific.

Although it seemed to be open at the time, I never noticed any trains on the sidings (I think there was more than one).

I know that in the press reports, it was mentioned that there was a second filing by Corman, in which they stated that if they did not come to a final agreement with B&A dba CS, CAALA, they would file with the FSTB to force the sale.

Of course, that's second hand, and I plan to read the filing to know exactly what was said.

Took some photos of the track and rolling stock in Homewood, South Carolina, within the past hour.

Three hopper cars at the farm supply company. I suppose those could be empties that were caught by the closing.

Also, three more hopper cars some distance down that same track, which I would suppose might have been storage cars.
Up until the mid-to-late nineties, the MRR/CALA would take a boxcar all the way to the very end of the line in Whiteville to Whiteville Plywood. That customer, just like 84 Lumber in Myrtle Beach, became to be more trouble than they were worth, and the business went away. That was the last need to go beyond Jones, where Georgia Pacific is located.

Georgia Pacific used to be very busy. They used to get loads of particle board and dry waste sawdust off of one track, wood chips off of 2 different tracks, plywood out of another, and lumber on the last. It was nothing for us to come out of the plant with any where from 15 to 20 cars a night. And then the economy happened.

I think the hopper cars you saw at Homewood were cars that were involved in one of the many derailments they've had down on that end of the line. Were they SCWX hoppers?
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #221
TheOldMan

Thanks for the post, BR549.

I took some photos of those two 3 car trains yesterday, and will post them here, so you can see exactly where they are.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:41 AM   #222
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

A blog post from tonight

http://joethephotog.com/blogs/end-of...-railroad.html
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #223
TheOldMan

Thanks for posting the link to the blog, Joe.

It is very good.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 AM   #224
ShortlinesUSA

Nicely done, Joe. I'm glad you took the time to do your blog. It is a very nice capture of what has gone down the past few years.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:06 AM   #225
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Thanks, Mike and Old Man. I only wish I could have got there more often than I did. I hope to be able to rectify that with Corman coming in,