Old 11-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
IHapsias

Question Fixable or another personal collection?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=872934&key=0

Any opinions, etc. ?
Old 11-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
ssw9662

You need some more space on the left side. If the original is wider, leave some room on the left. If not, maybe you can use a shot taken a little earlier if you have one. On another note, the image is unlevel and has bad image quality (probably the result of a bad resize).
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662 View Post
You need some more space on the left side. If the original is wider, leave some room on the left. If not, maybe you can use a shot taken a little earlier if you have one. On another note, the image is unlevel and has bad image quality (probably the result of a bad resize).
How do I fix the BIQ?
Old 11-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
ssw9662

What program are you using to resize your photos? You may be able to change how the image is resized (should be called "resample method" or something like that). Right now the photo looks very "blocky" and I'm surprised that it didn't get rejected for image quality.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662 View Post
What program are you using to resize your photos? You may be able to change how the image is resized (should be called "resample method" or something like that). Right now the photo looks very "blocky" and I'm surprised that it didn't get rejected for image quality.
IRFanview for editing, and Picasa3 for cropping.

I don't have the money for a decent editor.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
IRFanview for editing, and Picasa3 for cropping.

I use the SAME exact thing except I only use IRFanview for leveling and resizing, that's it... I'm still debating on purchasing PS, but I still have my personal opinions about it...

As for you photo....To start off, it's cloudy...I'm not the one that as anal about cloudy shots, but this one doesn't really appeal to me. Nice power, but the conditions just weren't right for this shot IMO.
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:18 AM   #7
JRMDC

More on the left, also the foreground is muddled, I would allow more space down there.

Or instead of more on the left, shoot a bit earlier so the train isn't all the way over.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntD. View Post
I use the SAME exact thing except I only use IRFanview for leveling and resizing, that's it... I'm still debating on purchasing PS, but I still have my personal opinions about it...

As for you photo....To start off, it's cloudy...I'm not the one that as anal about cloudy shots, but this one doesn't really appeal to me. Nice power, but the conditions just weren't right for this shot IMO.
How do you level in IRFanview?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
More on the left, also the foreground is muddled, I would allow more space down there.

Or instead of more on the left, shoot a bit earlier so the train isn't all the way over.
Ok, I will do that now. I took about I think (5) photos of the train coming across the trestle.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
AntD.

Quote:
How do you level in IRFanview?
It's called 'Custom Fine Rotation' on IRFanview...Under the Image tab
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I got Photoshop Elements with my Canon camera. Canon gave their users some real processing tools.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I got Photoshop Elements with my Canon camera. Canon gave their users some real processing tools.
Sounds like you got a special bundle from your retailer, I am pretty sure Canon does not include PSE normally. They have their own software, DPP, which they include.

I haven't used DPP but the Zoombrowser organizer which is also included is what I use for organizing shots; I never took to the organizer included with PSE.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
troy12n
Banned

You obviously dont know this, but the lead locomotive is an SD60, not an SD50. One of only 10 CSX bought in 1988. That alone makes this photo super rare and it should be accepted just based on that fact. Appeal and demand that they accept it based on this fact.

If that dont work, you need some space on the left, otherwise, I really dont see much wrong with it. Lighting could be better, but hey... it is what it is.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
You obviously dont know this, but the lead locomotive is an SD60, not an SD50. One of only 10 CSX bought in 1988. That alone makes this photo super rare and it should be accepted just based on that fact. Appeal and demand that they accept it based on this fact.
Well, that brings up the old question of what kind of shots RP should accept, and should they lower the standard for particular kinds of shots or rather shots with particular content. There are already 8 shots of CSXT 8708 on the database, two more of CSX 8708, including one from October. I don't know how may CSX SD60 shots there are in total. Does the "super rare" nature of this shot justify acceptance?

I think in this situation it is a moot point because I suspect a properly cropped version of a shot taken a few seconds before this one will end up getting on.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
IHapsias

Quote:
Well, that brings up the old question of what kind of shots RP should accept, and should they lower the standard for particular kinds of shots or rather shots with particular content. There are already 8 shots of CSXT 8708 on the database, two more of CSX 8708, including one from October. I don't know how may CSX SD60 shots there are in total. Does the "super rare" nature of this shot justify acceptance?

I think in this situation it is a moot point because I suspect a properly cropped version of a shot taken a few seconds before this one will end up getting on.
I re-cropped it too their likings, and they shut the door again!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1242885904
Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #16
IHapsias

Quote:

If that dont work, you need some space on the left, otherwise, I really dont see much wrong with it. Lighting could be better, but hey... it is what it is.
It was late last night.. I was literally asleep.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Oh my GOD, an SD60!? Why didn't you say so!?!
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
IHapsias

Quote:

A few seconds earlier, would require a chainsaw for a good shot.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
A few seconds earlier, would require a chainsaw for a good shot.
No, the same shot, from the same spot, with the camera pointed in exactly the same direction, would not require any cutting but would have the lead engine posted further away from the left edge, say a half engine length.

As for the latest, I think it is worth a try with simply a modest increase in brightness or exposure.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #20
IHapsias

Quote:
No, the same shot, from the same spot, with the camera pointed in exactly the same direction, would not require any cutting but would have the lead engine posted further away from the left edge, say a half engine length.

As for the latest, I think it is worth a try with simply a modest increase in brightness or exposure.
That is true said. I will try a increase in brightness slightly.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #21
PLEzero

Quote:

One of 10 with CSX heritage. There are 25 currently on the CSX roster if you're actually keeping track.

Here are two photos from that same location that got into the database. You should probably compare them to yours and make adjustments from there.

Image © Wade H. Massie
PhotoID: 181272
Photograph © Wade H. Massie

Image © Tom Mugnano
PhotoID: 338461
Photograph © Tom Mugnano

This also goes along with the database labeling thread....

You should really label your photos so that they show up when you search for that particular location. You have "Liberty Boro". Nothing is going to come up when you search for that. Same with Tom's photo from above. He didn't take the time to make sure "Pennsylvania" was typed in correctly and now his photo does not show up. The same goes for calling it "CSX Q389-20". It's really best to not add the date, that way you can search for that specific train. If you do decide to add the full symbol, it should have read "CSX Q38920".
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #22
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
One of 10 with CSX heritage. There are 25 currently on the CSX roster if you're actually keeping track.

Image © Wade H. Massie
PhotoID: 181272
Photograph © Wade H. Massie

Image © Tom Mugnano
PhotoID: 338461
Photograph © Tom Mugnano

This also goes along with the database labeling thread....

You should really label your photos so that they show up when you search for that particular location. You have "Liberty Boro". Nothing is going to come up when you search for that. Same with Tom's photo from above. He didn't take the time to make sure "Pennsylvania" was typed in correctly and now his photo does not show up. The same goes for calling it "CSX Q389-20". It's really best to not add the date, that way you can search for that specific train. If you do decide to add the full symbol, it should have read "CSX Q38920".
I will fix the ID; along with the location. Thanks for the correction Brad.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #23
IHapsias

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Oh my GOD, an SD60!? Why didn't you say so!?!

I am shocked! An SD60!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #24
jnohallman

Quote:
On Amazon.com right now you can get a new copy of Photoshop Elements 7 for $58 bucks. While it's not the latest version, it is certainly a capable editor and, among other things, has the ability with the proper Adobe plug-in to edit RAW images directly. The only reason I moved up to PSE 8, which you should be able to get for around $80, is that I couldn't find my PSE 7 software when I bought my new computer.

Of course, if you don't want to spend that, ask someone to give it to you for your birthday, or Christmas, or Hannukah, or Kwanzaa, or Festivus, or Guy Fawkes Day (oops, too late for that one until next year!) . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #25
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Sounds like you got a special bundle from your retailer, I am pretty sure Canon does not include PSE normally. They have their own software, DPP, which they include.
Come to think of it, this was my first digital camera, the 300D. Maybe it was a special thing back in the dark ages of 2004.