Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Classic!

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #30
lock4244

"You send me the Go**amned DVD or I'm gonna come down to your house and I'm gonna burn it to the ground, how about that?"

Harlan Ellison, he talks that way people think. Awesome!

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #31
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
"You send me the Go**amned DVD or I'm gonna come down to your house and I'm gonna burn it to the ground, how about that?"

Harlan Ellison, he talks that way people think. Awesome!
Surprised he doesn't get arrested for some BS like "threatening" or "terrorism" in this sick world of overzealous law enforcement we live in today. And yes, I do think and ofttimes talk that way myself. Just gotta keep an eye over my shoulder when I do.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #32
Freericks
Met Fan

Of course, it's ironic that we're watching him share his creative thoughts on this topic over YouTube, from which he is receiving the grand sum of ZERO dollars.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #33
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Surprised he doesn't get arrested for some BS like "threatening" or "terrorism" in this sick world of overzealous law enforcement we live in today. And yes, I do think and ofttimes talk that way myself. Just gotta keep an eye over my shoulder when I do.
He's not a railfan or he may have
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #34
Dennis A. Livesey

I was offered a similar deal. They said they don't pay cash but that they would send one of their products worth $150.
I said I wanted $300.
They said thanks but no thanks and went with something else.
Now I'm without a credit with a nice well-respected (albeit small) model company and one of their products that I could of enjoyed or sold.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #35
troy12n
Banned

I'm sure it's their loss
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #36
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I was offered a similar deal. They said they don't pay cash but that they would send one of their products worth $150.
I said I wanted $300.
They said thanks but no thanks and went with something else.
Now I'm without a credit with a nice well-respected (albeit small) model company and one of their products that I could of enjoyed or sold.
You have to go with what feels right to you. I know I'll get flamed for this, because there is a mindset that we all have to stick together and all make the same deal, but let's be honest... no matter how many railroad photographers you sign up to toe the line, some others will undermine you.

Because of this, you always need to ask yourself, what is going to make me happy about this situation? What do I want out of it? Then, see if they will give you that (in some cases it may be nothing more than the publication itself... who knows).

If there was RR Photographer Code that we all signed on to, I would change my opinion, but there is not.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #37
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 AM   #38
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
You have to go with what feels right to you. I know I'll get flamed for this, because there is a mindset that we all have to stick together and all make the same deal, but let's be honest... no matter how many railroad photographers you sign up to toe the line, some others will undermine you.

Because of this, you always need to ask yourself, what is going to make me happy about this situation? What do I want out of it? Then, see if they will give you that (in some cases it may be nothing more than the publication itself... who knows).

If there was RR Photographer Code that we all signed on to, I would change my opinion, but there is not.
That's about the jest of it...

Unless you have THE specific photo that fits an EXACT need, there always seems to be someone down the line when the budget for such an expense is zero. Unless it's Amtrak or CSX who will apparently buy a photo for a zillion dollars (per their preset budget) and then Photoshop out one engine and update the paint scheme of the other.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #39
khalucha

Just my to cents, but you payed for all you gear out of your pocket. Getting some money for a photo is a nice +. Helps to pay for what you already have or some new gear that you may want/need.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #40
DelmonteX

This seems so simple and basic to me. They want to use your creative property to help turn a profit. Are they going to get the brochures printed for free? Is Model Railroader going to run the adds pro bono? Why shouldn't they pay you?

Get dollars from them and only release the image after you have a signed and specific contract, just like Dave said.

If you want a stronger opinion from a Pro, wander over to Obs Car and ask Howard Ande. You're likely to get a response not unlike the video clip of Harlan Ellison.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #41
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Copyright

Quote:
I was contacted by a large manufacturing concern about using my image in their annual report. The initial amount that I asked for was clearly massively out of their budget, so I dropped my price an enormous amount.

Got an e-mail agreeing to my new price.

A month later I got a copy of the annual report in the mail and my image was more prominent than had been described... but I figured a deal's a deal at that point, so I e-mailed and asked for payment.

A month later I e-mailed again and asked if they had forgotten.

I e-mailed one last time about a month after that.

All e-mails since they agreed to the price have been ignored and I've never been paid.
Perhaps you should initiate a copyright infringement case.

The penalties are quite stiff for the infringer.

I would suggest to anyone who is going to sell or grant a license to the rights to use a photograph to register that image with the copyright office.

Most people won't do this because it costs about $250.00, but if some does what they did to Charles you can make it all back and then some because you can disgorge all the profits made by the infringer on your image.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #42
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Of course, it's ironic that we're watching him share his creative thoughts on this topic over YouTube, from which he is receiving the grand sum of ZERO dollars.
We're supposed to pay to watch commercials now?

That video is up to promote the documentary about him. If you're a Netflix subscriber you can stream it. I watched it a few nights ago; it was quite good.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #43
coborn35

Well our deal was finalized. I'm not going to reveal what we agreed upon, however it wasn't free, and on my end of the deal I got something that satisfied me.

If any of you are N Scale Modelers, look at KATO's new line of SD45's. You may see a familiar picture, my shot will be the headliner for their SD45's.
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 293957
Photograph © Max Medlin

The ad looks great, and the photo fills about 1/3 to 1/2 of the page. I will post the final version once they decide on it.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #44
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose View Post
We're supposed to pay to watch commercials now?

That video is up to promote the documentary about him. If you're a Netflix subscriber you can stream it. I watched it a few nights ago; it was quite good.
Hmmm... I'm wondering where I said you were supposed to do anything.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #45
Diamond D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Most people won't do this because it costs about $250.00, but if some does what they did to Charles you can make it all back and then some because you can disgorge all the profits made by the infringer on your image.
Not sure where the $250 figure comes from, but as of earlier this year it was a $30 fee to register up to (a very large number) of images.

http://asmp.org/tutorials/online-registration-eco.html
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #46
Joe the Photog

Don't hate me. I just gave away a non railroad image for a one time use in a quarterly magazine here in Columbia. I've communicated with this guy a few times through Flickr and I felt that based on those communications and another publication he's a part of, something more may come of this later. And if not, no big deal. It's a small publication for the central part of South Carolina.

I think there are times when a person should be able to make a decision and not have to think about another person in another part of thr world and what that decision *might* (not) mean to him.