Old 05-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
kjd

Default what is art?

I posted a photo I thought was artistic, it certainly wouldn't work well for modeling, you can't even discern the loco number. I have the opposite photo but it's so perfect it's boring.

Rejected - Angle (Going Away): Photos in which the train is traveling away from the photographer, or roster shots focusing on the rear of the subject, are generally not accepted. Exceptions are made for artistic and/or unique images.

What do you think 'artistic' and 'unique' mean?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...21&key=5387612

Thanks,
Paul
kjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:19 PM   #2
RobJor

It must have been neat being there. I have tried a snow shot and 5 Alco shot and been rejected. Yours is cropped very tight for drama but does not offer much else. To be fair to the site, once they opened the door there would be a flood maybe not as good, maybe better. I only have two, they offer something in the going away view, ie no just the train and that is no sure thing. I know, showing my shots but I can't help it. LOL

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 517587
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 566117
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Second was a consolation as I missed the Veterans unit leading coming toward me.

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:23 AM   #3
ShortlinesUSA

Agree with Bob-- there is a good, dramatic scene here, but I think it would be better done if a little more "loose." This angle is very tight and just the locomotives are the scene. If there were some other props there to complete the photo, such as a signal or some other natural feature, I think this would have walked right in.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
kjd

Thanks, Bob, I was there with my dad and it was fun to hang out with him. We don't do that nearly enough and I don't think we've ever hung out watching trains before.

Thank you Bob and Shortline for the discussion and thoughts. I intentionally cropped it very tight. I was trying to emphasize the the geometric simplicity and line detail of the locomotives compared to the gentle curve because what red blooded male doesn't like big machines and gentle curves. Originally, it was wider but I like it better more closely cropped.

It is still very unclear to me what constitutes a good photo here. Sunny, front 3/4 views and wrecks are golden but anything else seems to be at the whim of the screener. I think that has driven more than one fine photographer away. I made my photo how I wanted it and if they don't want it in their sandbox I'll still enjoy it elsewhere. I made it for myself after all.

When my high school daughter was a sleepless babe, I would stay up late holding her and looking through the database, starting with photo #1. I still occasionally sit down and scroll through a few pages of photos so I have at least glanced at every photo in the database from the beginning until about mid-Feb this year. After awhile I started to notice trends, technically perfect photos usually are lower in views, Indecline, for example. He posts beautiful stuff mostly from the Columbia River Gorge and it is usually perfectly composed and perfectly lit and is sitting at 400 views. They are nice but everything can be seen in the thumbnail. Photos with interesting lighting, atmosphere or perspective other than 5.5 feet off the ground landscape format have higher views.

When I think of the most memorable photos I've seen here, ones that stuck with me, two are by the same photographer that has, unfortunately, since deleted his photos from the database. I am looking forward to his book though. One photo was a GP18 cresting Lookout Pass in Idaho in 1979. It is going from 4% up to 4% down and is just over the hump. It was a cloudy day so the lighting is a bit soft but the portrait format taken from in the gauge of the siding shows the exhaust standing straight up. The ridge in the background is mostly shadow which emphasizes the BN green locomotive.

The other was a 1980s Amtrak train in the mountains in southern Oregon in the summer when there is smokey haze in the air. Again the shot is back-lit portrait format and the sun in the smoke and glinting off the tops of the cars makes the shot. There was a large rocky outcrop in the center of the photo and the train was snaking around it. The back lit smoke in the trees gave an ethereal mood to the shot. His vantage point was relatively high above the train.

I'm glad those got in and am sad the photographer deleted them. I wonder sometimes what else we are missing.

Paul
kjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd View Post
Thanks, Bob, I was there with my dad and it was fun to hang out with him. We don't do that nearly enough and I don't think we've ever hung out watching trains before.

Thank you Bob and Shortline for the discussion and thoughts. I intentionally cropped it very tight. I was trying to emphasize the the geometric simplicity and line detail of the locomotives compared to the gentle curve because what red blooded male doesn't like big machines and gentle curves. Originally, it was wider but I like it better more closely cropped.

It is still very unclear to me what constitutes a good photo here. Sunny, front 3/4 views and wrecks are golden but anything else seems to be at the whim of the screener. I think that has driven more than one fine photographer away. I made my photo how I wanted it and if they don't want it in their sandbox I'll still enjoy it elsewhere. I made it for myself after all.

When my high school daughter was a sleepless babe, I would stay up late holding her and looking through the database, starting with photo #1. I still occasionally sit down and scroll through a few pages of photos so I have at least glanced at every photo in the database from the beginning until about mid-Feb this year. After awhile I started to notice trends, technically perfect photos usually are lower in views, Indecline, for example. He posts beautiful stuff mostly from the Columbia River Gorge and it is usually perfectly composed and perfectly lit and is sitting at 400 views. They are nice but everything can be seen in the thumbnail. Photos with interesting lighting, atmosphere or perspective other than 5.5 feet off the ground landscape format have higher views.

When I think of the most memorable photos I've seen here, ones that stuck with me, two are by the same photographer that has, unfortunately, since deleted his photos from the database. I am looking forward to his book though. One photo was a GP18 cresting Lookout Pass in Idaho in 1979. It is going from 4% up to 4% down and is just over the hump. It was a cloudy day so the lighting is a bit soft but the portrait format taken from in the gauge of the siding shows the exhaust standing straight up. The ridge in the background is mostly shadow which emphasizes the BN green locomotive.

The other was a 1980s Amtrak train in the mountains in southern Oregon in the summer when there is smokey haze in the air. Again the shot is back-lit portrait format and the sun in the smoke and glinting off the tops of the cars makes the shot. There was a large rocky outcrop in the center of the photo and the train was snaking around it. The back lit smoke in the trees gave an ethereal mood to the shot. His vantage point was relatively high above the train.

I'm glad those got in and am sad the photographer deleted them. I wonder sometimes what else we are missing.

Paul
I think I know exactly who you are referring to. Great scenes, but sometimes inferior image quality. A couple even had visible dust spots. RP management conceded giving him some leeway on standards, which annoys the hell out of me no matter how good the scene is. Images that can be made better should be sent back for more work.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:23 AM   #6
mersenne6

I agree with RobJor - it must have been fun being there. I've had a few going away shots accepted. In addition to being accepted on this site the first picture was also part of a two page spread in one of the rail magazines.

Image © Robert Butler
PhotoID: 256971
Photograph © Robert Butler

whereas the second was just accepted...which is to say it made it into the database.

Image © Robert Butler
PhotoID: 509364
Photograph © Robert Butler

Last edited by mersenne6; 05-06-2018 at 01:30 AM.
mersenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
ATSF666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd View Post
After awhile I started to notice trends, technically perfect photos usually are lower in views, Indecline, for example. He posts beautiful stuff mostly from the Columbia River Gorge and it is usually perfectly composed and perfectly lit and is sitting at 400 views. They are nice but everything can be seen in the thumbnail. Photos with interesting lighting, atmosphere or perspective other than 5.5 feet off the ground landscape format have higher views.

Paul
Actually, most of my photos are from about 6 and 1/2 feet off of the ground. I don't like bending over to shoot my camera mounted on my tripod. Indecline