Old 05-12-2018, 02:31 AM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default Apparently the definition of "backlit" isn't what I remembered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9504.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	603.6 KB
ID:	9611
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9934.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	786.8 KB
ID:	9612
First shot is a BNSF oil train headed westbound along the Columbia River Gorge at East Lyle (Doug's Beach State Park), WA. Second shot is an eastbound UP/CP grain headed east out of the siding at Kuna, ID. Both rejected for being "backlit". Apparently the definition of "backlit" has changed or something, or maybe I never understood it correctly in the first place, because they don't seem backlit to me, with over half of the nose in sunlight. And even if they are slightly backlit, it feels as though both shots have their own merit - one is in a scenic place, the other involving foreign power in a scene that may deceive the viewer without prior knowledge. If there are any other major problems with these, I honestly can't figure it out... help, please?
Old 05-12-2018, 02:58 AM   #2
KevinM

I'm not much of diesel guy, so take my comments in that context.

Both images feature a partly dark nose. I know that RP is very big on nose light with diesels, particularly when the image is a simple wedge with no scenery. Both of these are solidly in that category. I think the Screener is saying that if all you are showing is a train, the light on it had better be really good, and that's not the case here.

I would suggest not resubmitting either shot. Keep them for your personal collection. Both shots could use some brightening. The second one is definitely underexposed. I have noticed that many of your past submissions were also quite dark. If you are shooting manual, you will want to adjust your exposure settings to brighten by perhaps 2/3rds of a stop. If you are shooting automatic exposure, find out how your camera handles "Exposure Compensation" and jack that up by the same amount.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
RobJor

And they look kinda square which doesn't help. Number 2 also has high sun.

Number 1 has decent sun, could work if the composition was a little better.
I think you can get ones in like #1, just have to have a little more going for them.

I just looked at the last 31 accepted and the only ones without sun on the nose were steam. HMMM.

Its like bike riding, easy if the wind is always behind you and always downhill but it does get boring.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 05-12-2018 at 06:44 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
Mberry

Agree with what everyone has said, in both shots the nose is about only half lit and for a standard wedgie rp wants full nose light.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote