Old 04-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #26
Joe the Photog

Just remembered whilst working on a non-railroad shot tonight that Neat Image -- at least the free version -- strips out every bit of information when saviing the "filtered" version.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #27
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
For those who have been pegged by our own editor and cheif, you will be happy to know that even Chris slips up now and then. Here are one example.
Quote:
Mitch,
Here's two previous versions I submitted...
Chris
Mitch, I hope your "here are one" was an intentional mocking of the grammatically incorrect "here's two."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #28
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

When you strip your exif, does that also strip your copy right info (name) that should be on your photos?
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #29
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

I personally leave my EXIF. I've found it works as a good reference guide to determine good light at certain times of the day all year round. Other important factors like focal length, aperture, ISO, etc. occasionally come in handy as well.

I don't particularly mind if someone uses my EXIF data for their own personal benefit.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide

Last edited by Chase55671; 04-27-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #30
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
When you strip your exif, does that also strip your copy right info (name) that should be on your photos?
Is there a way with the XTi to even put that info on your shots? I've been manaually putting in my copyright info through Elements 7.0 on the shots I'm going to share.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #31
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I personally leave my EXIF. I've found it works as a good reference guy to determine good light at certain times of the day all year round. Other important factors like focal length, aperture, ISO, etc. occasionally come in handy as well.

I don't particularly mind if someone uses my EXIF data for their own personal benefit.

Chase
Precisely, spoken like a true gentleman.

Travis - I think your correct in that the EXIF info can serve as an invisible copyright. Easy to purposely delete but most "borrowers" will not go through the effort unless the intention is to purposely steal the image.

Jim - but of course.

Joe - the full version of Neat Image will not strip the info and, once again, to beat Chris to the punch, "saving" only has one "i". : )

/Mitch

(And, Chase - you obviously meant "guide". Don't fret - I swear it's an RP thing!)
Edit - I had an extra "is" in there - further proving my secondary "RP thing" issue.

Last edited by Mgoldman; 04-27-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #32
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:

(And, Chase - you obviously meant "guide". Don't fret - I swear it's an RP thing!)
Edit - I had an extra "is" in there - further proving my secondary "RP thing" issue.
Nothing gets by you, Mitch!

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #33
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Is there a way with the XTi to even put that info on your shots? I've been manaually putting in my copyright info through Elements 7.0 on the shots I'm going to share.
I think it is automatically added in PS or you can just write it in also.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #34
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I don't display any of my EXIF data because I heard the camera companies have conspired with the government (which one, or ones I cannot say for sure) the railroads and Madison Avenue to secretly encrypt GPS data in along with the normal EXIF data.

That way they can direct multilevel marketing and spy on us.
Sorry, that is unattributed internet scuttlebutt.

Please list where you heard this.

Or is this a gag?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #35
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Sorry, that is unattributed internet scuttlebutt.

Please list where you heard this.

Or is this a gag?
Dennis, there are folks out there who subscribe to the "hyper-capable government" theory. They attribute all manner of things....some of which actually happened and some of which are alleged to be happening....to "the government". Just a few of the many rants you'll find if you browse the internet include:
  • The "government" staged 911
  • The moon landings were staged in a movie lot
  • The "government" is dumping chemicals on all of us in a massive airborne spraying program
There are a ton of others. Most of the folks who espouse these conspiracy theories are people who seldom leave their houses and spend endless hours on the internet comiserating with others of a similar ilk. For the most part, they have completely taken their eye off the ball in life and are wasting their lives "catastrophizing" about bad things that will likely never happen.

Anyone who has ever had any real dealings with "the government" knows well just how capable it really is. For the most part, the only thing it is hyper-capable of.....is wasting your money and mine.

If you've never heard of some of the above conspiracy theories....congratulations! You're normal!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #36
JRMDC

I thought Holloran/El Roco was joking.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #37
woody_k
still learnin'

I can't believe no one has thought of this reason...

You tell everyone you have a $5,000 camera and in reality you shoot with a $69 point and shoot Kodak.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Another site where I only upload what I think is the better images Flickr
woody_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #38
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Dennis, there are folks out there who subscribe to the "hyper-capable government" theory. They attribute all manner of things....some of which actually happened and some of which are alleged to be happening....to "the government". Just a few of the many rants you'll find if you browse the internet include:
  • The "government" staged 911
  • The moon landings were staged in a movie lot
  • The "government" is dumping chemicals on all of us in a massive airborne spraying program
There are a ton of others. Most of the folks who espouse these conspiracy theories are people who seldom leave their houses and spend endless hours on the internet comiserating with others of a similar ilk. For the most part, they have completely taken their eye off the ball in life and are wasting their lives "catastrophizing" about bad things that will likely never happen.

Anyone who has ever had any real dealings with "the government" knows well just how capable it really is. For the most part, the only thing it is hyper-capable of.....is wasting your money and mine.

If you've never heard of some of the above conspiracy theories....congratulations! You're normal!
If they are true, I guess the goverment and OJ Simpson have a lot in common.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #39
Joe the Photog

Not to get off the subject too much, but those 911 conspiracy theories make me madder than hell. I actually believe in some conspiracies (none listed above) and when stupid nutjobs go off on how missles were launches into the WTC and placed expolosions brought the buildings down, I want to strangle someone.

But I, too, think HG was just yucking it up.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #40
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking GPS in EXIF Data

Quote:
...[portion omitted]....[*]The "government" is dumping chemicals on all of us in a massive airborne spraying program
Wow, I missed that one. I guess that would explain the sounds I hear at night above my house (the one I never go out of) it must be the helicopters spraying the chemicals.

And you forgot the whole extraterrestrial genre.

Quote:
Most of the folks who espouse these conspiracy theories are people who seldom leave their houses and spend endless hours on the internet comiserating with others of a similar ilk. For the most part, they have completely taken their eye off the ball in life and are wasting their lives "catastrophizing" about bad things that will likely never happen.
Hey, I got a girlfriend (she got promoted 15 years ago) and my mother didn't take me to Winterrail this year.

Although my mom went with us when we rode 3751 to San Diego in 2008.

Oh, and remember to send in your Census forms cause if you don't, the government will come to your door step and won't leave until they get that lousy form.

To my horror I learned this ten years ago. I eschew having an agent of the Federal government on my front door step (even it is the mail person).

They are out to get me, I just know it.

Quote:
You forgot the part about they can put you in jail while they are wasting your money and time.

I don't know why anyone would think the GPS component of the EXIF data rumor would be true, but the response on this board shows just how little most people trust the government anymore.

Oh and hi Ken!

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 04-29-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #41
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Wow, I missed that one. I guess that would explain the sounds I hear at night above my house (the one I never go out of) it must be the helicopters spraying the chemicals.
Actually, the folks who believe in this particular one are looking at aircraft contrails and believing them to be chemical trails....or ChemTrails. Google that one and enjoy. I shouldn't make fun. I know someone in that camp. The poor guy has lots of other problems too and rarely ever leaves the house. They should take his computer away. It just fuels his problems. Unfortunately, these folks are typically impossible to reason with. They need help, but can't admit it.

As for large scale conspiracies, my theory is that the odds of being able to maintain such a thing go down exponentially as the number of people involved increase.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #42
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody_k View Post

You tell everyone you have a $5,000 camera and in reality you shoot with a $69 point and shoot Kodak.
More like the opposite - you tell everyone you "only" have a crappy camera but you are actually shooting with all pro gear!

Ah... Jim, I have a new word for you to use in place of "Fail" and that would be used when a thread goes awry; "Derail".

I guess those who intentionally hide the EXIF in all of their images have reasons they'd prefer kept secret.

FAIL

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #43
karldotcom

Send a message via AIM to karldotcom

16. The top shelf camera and 70-200 IS lens you showed all your railfan buddies on the big annual trip was returned/ebay'd when you saw received credit card statement and you are now shooting with 2 or 3 year old equipment.

>>>You tell everyone you have a $5,000 camera and in reality you shoot with a $69 point and shoot Kodak.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #44
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:

I guess those who intentionally hide the EXIF in all of their images have reasons they'd prefer kept secret.

FAIL

/Mitch
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #45
crazytiger

If you really good and technical you could find the location and then use sun angle and The Photographer's Ephemeris to determine approximately what time of day, if you're nerdy like me.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #46
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody_k View Post

And you know what's funny? I know someone who has quite a few photos on here taken with something along the lines of what you are talking about and when I first met this person and saw this...let's say I used every word in the book to express my disbelief, shock, and anger! Since then they've upgraded to a DSLR

-Ant D.
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote