Old 11-05-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default Anyone here have the 60D yet?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on it. My next camera is still way down the line, but I'm wondering what you guys think of the video aspect to it.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
troy12n
Banned

Looks like a waste of money. It's a 50d with more megapixels and less features. But it's got a real cool flip out LCD screen on the back.

They took away lens micro adjust, shallower buffer, less FPS, smaller body (may or may not be of concern to you), different battery than previous xxd models (10d-50d + 5d use the same battery/charger), uses SD memory card instead of compact flash like every other Canon to date.

Basically it is a more expensive digital rebel which performs slightly better and costs 60% more.

If I was in the market for a new body, I would get a 7d or a used 1dmk3, or I guess if you can get a good deal on a 50d, that may be an option.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Looks like a waste of money. It's a 50d with more megapixels and less features. But it's got a real cool flip out LCD screen on the back.
Your right, But have to say they added a camera to the line up. The 7D is the 50D replacement. Heres what the line up is like Rebel = Rebel, 60D = Elan 7, EOS 3 = 7D, EOS 1's = EOS 1D's. They tried to keep the 00D line cheeper and still AM-PRO and had a hard time pricing it right to make money so went with a cheeper to make plastic body with the 60D from a cast metal of the 50D 7D.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:

They took away lens micro adjust, shallower buffer, less FPS, smaller body (may or may not be of concern to you), different battery than previous xxd models (10d-50d + 5d use the same battery/charger), uses SD memory card instead of compact flash like every other Canon to date.

Basically it is a more expensive digital rebel which performs slightly better and costs 60% more.

If I was in the market for a new body, I would get a 7d or a used 1dmk3, or I guess if you can get a good deal on a 50d, that may be an option.
The 60D has proven to be quite the controversial item, because Canon has repositioned it in the market compared to previous xxD bodies. So controversial that many find reasons to put it down and ignore its qualities.

So, Troy, how do you manage to write all that about the 60D and fail to mention that it has HD VIDEO???? You may not want it, but to ignore it???

Some of this is silly quibbling. Different battery? Same battery as 7D and 5D2, not bad company to keep. SD cards? Yup, a change, helps people buying up from their digicams, not those upgrading their DSLRs. You agree that body size is a matter of taste.

They did take away some features,micro adjust has everyone enraged. People are not used to losing features. The camera was repositioned (so the SD cards). It also came out $200 cheaper than previous new models ($1100, the previous price point for newly-released xxD was $1300 or $1400. For that matter it is already down to $1000. Does that matter? And it retains lots of xxD features (2 dials, etc.), up to each person to decide whether those are worth the money.

BTW, 60%? You should count your money more carefully, maybe you will have more to spend. The T2i (same 18mp, current rebel) was $750 at Amazon. At $1100 the 60D was only 47% more. Now the T2i is down to $700, so the $1000 60D is 42% more.

I'm not a 60D nut, I am not getting a 60D, I am not a 60D fanboy, I just get vexed at misleading statements.

In fact, I just got a used 50D myself! I don't care about video.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-05-2010 at 12:08 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

If money was no factor, I'd look seriously at the 7D. Then again, if money was no factor, I'd have the 7D. I need to have lens fixed or replaced, too, so for a while, it's still the XTi for me. But down the road, it might be the 60D (or whatever replaces it). Until then, I was hoping to hear from a few folks who have it and shoot trains. (Seems to get mostly positive reviews from people on other sites that I've looked at so far.)
Old 11-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Joey Bowman

I was excited when the first rumors and horribly taken snap shots of the 60D were passed around on the internet, but when the official announcement came out I was utterly disgusted by Canon and their obvious lack in creativity with recent camera releases.

Joe why not look into Nikon? I think im jumping ship in the spring and getting a D7000 (or a D300s replacement if its out by then).
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
I was excited when the first rumors and horribly taken snap shots of the 60D were passed around on the internet, but when the official announcement came out I was utterly disgusted by Canon and their obvious lack in creativity with recent camera releases.

Joe why not look into Nikon? I think im jumping ship in the spring and getting a D7000 (or a D300s replacement if its out by then).
Just curious, without starting a nikon/canon war, what do you see in the Nikon line that is so special? And what didn't Canon come out with that you think they should have come out with?

J (for whom some or many of the frills and bells and whistles are of no value, and who certainly is in no rush to test his lenses and make use of the 50D lens microadjust function)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Joey Bowman

I think generally speaking that the 60D seemed lack luster to anything announced recently, or this year. Sony released a less than $1,000 (a55) camera that shoots 10fps and has built in GPS. Nikon released a $1,200 body (d7000) that features many of the features of pro level bodies such as weather sealing, dual card slots, to name a few. Canon released a dumbed down 50D with a flip screen (and video which is considered standard now).

It frustrates me to see other makers starting to push the envelope in what they offer. Also we have Sigma releasing some amazing lenses, the 85mm f/1.4 at an attractive price, 120-300mm f/2.8 with optical stabilization and weather sealing, to name a couple. And all Canon is doing is re-releasing their large L lenses and came out with an over priced 70-300 and a 8-16mm lens.

I also hear much less talk about focusing issues with Nikon cameras and lenses than I do with Canon equipment.

The D7000 for the most part was what I wanted in my next camera body, and it makes me curious to see what they will do with a D300S and D700 replacement as well.

I've also had the chance to shoot with a friends D90 recently and was impressed with how it handled 1600 and 3200 ISO as well as 6400 ISO. It really put my 30D and 50D to shame. As well as anything I have shot in the past with loaned 5d and 5dmk2's that I have shot with.

I figure that some time early next year I will rent a D7000 and a lens or two and see how I really like it but likely its where I will be going unless Canon releases something amazing soon.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

I know about the video and for whatever reason it did not make it from the brain to the keyboard. But getting back to that, they also have that ability in the T1i and T2i at a lower price point.

The big thing for me and why I would never buy one is the fact that they lowered the buffer depth, FPS and removed micro adjust. That was actually a good feature that only existed on the xD models at the time before the 50d was released. They are leveraging this product as semi-pro, with a semi-pro pricetag, but removed some features or depricated others that harder core amateurs actually wanted.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
Joe why not look into Nikon?
That would be like asking Clay Aiken, "Why not look into women?"

Seriously, depending on the diagnosis of my two favorite lens, I suppose if I were to jump ship, now might be the right time. But I've shot Canon since I got my first SLR in 1999. Canon has worked for me this long; I can't imagine it not working for me for even longer. In fact, I don't want to replace my XTi because I'm not happy with it; I want to upgrade it because I do like it. (And keep it as second body.)
Old 11-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
jnohallman

Joe,

If you're thinking of an upgrade, I'd seriously consider a 40D. That's what I'm looking for a good deal on in the used market (and I'm currently shooting with an XT, so you're ahead of me). How did I come to that conclusion? DPreview. After reading their reviews of the 30D, 40D, 50D, 7D etc. I decided that what I really want is a 5D Mk II, but I don't have the money! But in all seriousness, what I got from the reviews was that, in terms of image quality and such, the 30D really wasn't enough of an upgrade over my XT to spend the money on, while the 40D definitely was. The 50D, though considered a good camera, wasn't that great of an improvement over the 40D as far as I can tell, and was in some ways a step backwards. For instance, the reviewers seemed to think that with the 50D, Canon didn't make very good use of the increased pixel count of the sensor over the 40D, so that in many ways the images from the 40D were just as good if not better in some cases. The 7D seems to have fixed all that, so if you want to continue on the crop sensor path, that would be the way to go if buying new. But based on how good the reviews on the 40D were, and the fact that if you look hard enough you might be able to get one in the $500-600 range, I'd think it would be a good buy! I've just gotta save up some money - though I'm hoping one will show up in my local camera store, where the prices on used equipment seem to be better than KEH.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
Joe the Photog

I'm not sure a 40D is enough of an upgrade from an XTi to pay 5 to 600 for it. I do want video, too. I had thought about the 40D when I got the XTi but I went cheaper on the camera and got a few extra things on the side. My plan is to use the new camera for video when I'm also shooting stills. It doesn't help that I used most of what was in the play budget to get a 42 inch flat screen TV for the family. Watching football is awesome now, but every time I turn the thing on, part of me knows that it's partly a new camera.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

I've eyed the 40D, and I've shot with a 50D... I must say, the 50D is nice, but the price difference is what would point me to a 40D. I don't need FPS, since I don't "machine gun" anything.

I've considered Nikon, I've considered buying a friends' D90, but then I'd have to go out and rebuy lenses...

Plus, new tires come first.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That would be like asking Clay Aiken, "Why not look into women?"
Wow, quote of the year
Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure a 40D is enough of an upgrade from an XTi to pay 5 to 600 for it. I do want video, too. I had thought about the 40D when I got the XTi but I went cheaper on the camera and got a few extra things on the side.
My first digital SLR was the XTi, I went from an EOS Elan 7e (film) to the XTi in late 2006 and it was not very responsive I thought, but certainly took good pictures. I bought a 40d about a year later during the canon rebates. I bought it with the kit lens, sold the XTi and the 28-135 IS kit lens on ebay and about broke even on the deal. The 40d was so much better. It's hard to explain, but it is so much more responsive, meters better, does better AF tracking in AI servo and in general, much more FPS, deep buffer, etc.

Considering what I have seen some of the 40d's going for used ($400-600), I dont know why you would not consider it. Another option might be a used 1D mark 2 or mark 2n. You can get them for between $600-$1000 and have reportedly the best autofocus of any Canon camera ever. Downsize would be they are larger, have older technology NiCD batteries, odd menu system, but you are using the rebel series which has an odd menu system to begin with.

Look on fredmiranda.com's buy and sell forum. People there are gearheads and to them using a 40d is like driving a 1972 chevy caprice. I have bought several items from people on there before. Not a body, but lenses and filters.

Last edited by troy12n; 11-05-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #16
jnohallman

Why not buy a separate video camera instead? Set it up on a tripod and let in run video, and leave your SLR free to shoot any direction you want. Or, if you want video in your SLR, go with the T1i instead of the 60D. After all, according to DPreview, the T1i is "most of a 50D stuffed into the familiar 450D body." There's one on KEH now in EX+ condition for $546.00,

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
I've eyed the 40D, and I've shot with a 50D... I must say, the 50D is nice, but the price difference is what would point me to a 40D. I don't need FPS, since I don't "machine gun" anything.
40d and 50d are identical in FPS by the way

Quote:
I've considered Nikon, I've considered buying a friends' D90, but then I'd have to go out and rebuy lenses...
And Nikon lenses are like 30%-50% more expensive on average in a lot of cases when they even have an equivalent
Old 11-06-2010, 12:46 AM   #18
IHapsias

Question

Quote:
I know about the video and for whatever reason it did not make it from the brain to the keyboard. But getting back to that, they also have that ability in the T1i and T2i at a lower price point.

The big thing for me and why I would never buy one is the fact that they lowered the buffer depth, FPS and removed micro adjust. That was actually a good feature that only existed on the xD models at the time before the 50d was released. They are leveraging this product as semi-pro, with a semi-pro pricetag, but removed some features or depricated others that harder core amateurs actually wanted.
I am hoping to get myself the T2I rebel with a lense kit this winter. . . Hoping to sell my Canon SX20IS for about $250 - 300$; then pool Christmas money say 100 - 300$, giving me about $600; then a few hundred from my personal savings. But as of right now, this is all a dream. If all else fails, the T1I still looks within my money range.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #19
crazytiger

I am currently shooting Nikon (for reasons beyond my real control) but I will upgrade as soon as possible to a Canon. I have pretty much made up my mind on what I am going to buy. For me, ISO performance is one of the most important issues. Also important is FPS. And money is an issue. So, I started by looking at the 7D and by the time I got a lens or two, I was looking over two grand, which is too much, so I scaled back and with reasonable performance at 1600 and 3200 ISO and I forget what FPS-wise, I pretty much decided the 50D was what I wanted. When I heard about the 60D I was hoping it would be the next in succession, because it would cause the price to fall more, but no, it is what it is. But at the moment, I plan to go with the 50D and the kit 28-135. After that I want to save up for a 10-22.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #20
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
I am currently shooting Nikon (for reasons beyond my real control) but I will upgrade as soon as possible to a Canon. I have pretty much made up my mind on what I am going to buy. For me, ISO performance is one of the most important issues. Also important is FPS. And money is an issue. So, I started by looking at the 7D and by the time I got a lens or two, I was looking over two grand, which is too much, so I scaled back and with reasonable performance at 1600 and 3200 ISO and I forget what FPS-wise, I pretty much decided the 50D was what I wanted. When I heard about the 60D I was hoping it would be the next in succession, because it would cause the price to fall more, but no, it is what it is. But at the moment, I plan to go with the 50D and the kit 28-135. After that I want to save up for a 10-22.
Does anyone else here that shoots Canon find Nikon camera's hideous looking?
Old 11-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #21
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
I've never paid attention. I will say that in my line of work, I don't see nearly as many Nikons as I do Canons whether they're in the hands of pros or folks just shooting their kids soccer games or anywhere in between.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:21 AM   #22
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
No I like the looks But are harder to run then a Canon is With Nikon your paying for the name!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:23 AM   #23
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I like Nikons more....just not the user interface.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #24
IHapsias

Quote:
I've never paid attention. I will say that in my line of work, I don't see nearly as many Nikons as I do Canons whether they're in the hands of pros or folks just shooting their kids soccer games or anywhere in between.
This is just me probably. But it seems like its a 10:1 ratio for every Nikon I see.. For every 1 Nikon, its 10 or more Canon's. Anyone here use Olympus or Sony SLR's?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #25
Cinderpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
I like Nikons more....just not the user interface.
Ain't that the truth! Spoken from a 15 year Nikon shooter to 6 year Canon covert.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=4914
Cinderpath is offline   Reply With Quote