Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
callduckfarm

Default Should I bother?

I know it's backlit, but I like the way the smoke hangs in the air and the sun hits the left side of the engine. Is it worth playing with, or will it just get hit for poor lighting/ backlit?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=961082&key=0

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
magicman_841

I like it. I think it's worth pursuing. Might not make its way to RP, but a shot to include in your collection, in my opinion.

Right now they probably think the train is too low in the frame. Bring it up!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

I think you should indeed bother. I guess first I'd ask you if you had a later frame or two than this. I'd like to see just a bit more of the pilot or get some seperation between it and the track in the frame. That would also move the weeds on the side of the track off much of the second unit. Then crop so that the train is not so far down in the frame. They may give you the backlit rejection, but they may not as well. I think it's worth pursuing if for no other reason than it gives you a better final product.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
nikos1

I'm not a fan personally, the backlighting isnt really dramatic, its just slightly off the nose but not enough to light it up or fully shade it. The second track in the foreground detracts from the composition. Just my .02 cents, if you do pursue it though, try B&W so you can accentuate the smoke and backlighting more.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
callduckfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I think you should indeed bother. I guess first I'd ask you if you had a later frame or two than this. I'd like to see just a bit more of the pilot or get some seperation between it and the track in the frame. That would also move the weeds on the side of the track off much of the second unit. Then crop so that the train is not so far down in the frame. They may give you the backlit rejection, but they may not as well. I think it's worth pursuing if for no other reason than it gives you a better final product.
I do have later frames, but as it swings around the curve it loses all the sun hitting the left side of the cab. I'll have to look at them all closer if I have time this weekend. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
Mgoldman

I like it, too.

If you could bring some detail to the pilot it would help a good deal but as for the crop - I see where you were going and I'd have accepted it. The screener perhaps could not overlook the "tallness" or "extra" on top. Short of an appeal asking them to accept the tallness in lieu of cutting off the more interesting aspects of the composition is an option - best of luck. Otherwise, you'll have to crop the top and figure out just how much of each side you can spare. To the right you have the tree cutting off the train nicely. To the left you have the interesting grade and track.

Good luck!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

Oh man... that is a neat shot. I love it. Don't have any good suggestions beyond what others do, but keep going with it.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #8
callduckfarm

I tried a later frame, but it won't go. Got tagged for backlit.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=961955&key=0

Mike