Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default Distracting Shadows



http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...67&key=6395055
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,734
Default

I'd call it poor lighting first, but the entire train is in shadow I guess?

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

The train disappears into the tree line, it might as well not be there. The three-points-of-light shot has a much stronger train presence than this one does.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The train disappears into the tree line, it might as well not be there. The three-points-of-light shot has a much stronger train presence than this one does.
Right J, that's what I figured... I didn't find the protuding trees that distracting... I'll retry by shooting closer to the bridge.

Thanks!

P.S. The other shot you're referring to was rejected for composition
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
Right J, that's what I figured... I didn't find the protuding trees that distracting... I'll retry by shooting closer to the bridge.

Thanks!

P.S. The other shot you're referring to was rejected for composition
I was actually referring to the three-points of light shot accepted here. I don't remember yours!
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I was actually referring to the three-points of light shot accepted here. I don't remember yours!
Oh ok, I thought you'd been looking at my flickr account or something.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Mathieu, might I offer a suggestion to get down lower the next time you shoot there? The area of water between the shore and the bridge is quite vast, and without something of interest there (like topless women dancing on a boat), it just feels like a big empty space in the middle of the scene. If you bring the shoreline closer to the bridge, you can crop tighter as well.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Mathieu, might I offer a suggestion to get down lower the next time you shoot there? The area of water between the shore and the bridge is quite vast, and without something of interest there (like topless women dancing on a boat), it just feels like a big empty space in the middle of the scene. If you bring the shoreline closer to the bridge, you can crop tighter as well.
It's getting kind of chilly for the topless thing. I can easily get closer to the bridge, but then the train will be "going away", if you see what I mean.

Back to the drawing board.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

No, I didn't mean to get closer to the bridge, but get down lower, like squat or kneel to capture a little more of the shoreline and to compress the space of water between the shoreline and the bridge.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
No, I didn't mean to get closer to the bridge, but get down lower, like squat or kneel to capture a little more of the shoreline and to compress the space of water between the shoreline and the bridge.
Right. Perhaps a longer lens would work better here, too.

Appreciate the comments!
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
Right. Perhaps a longer lens would work better here, too.
But then you'd lose the shoreline.

If you got down lower, and then moved to the right a bit, you may be able to capture a scene more like this:

Name:  bridge1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  250.1 KB

__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.