Old 09-19-2015, 03:18 AM   #1
MasCoRailbuff

Default waiting for the check

Has anyone else here sold pictures directly to AMTRAK Rewards? They requested a couple images from me that they found on this site. I signed a contract and uploaded those to them one month ago and haven't received payment yet.

Joel Hawthorn

My stuff on Railpics

My Zenfolio project
MasCoRailbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:17 AM   #2
Darryl Rule

Default They got you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasCoRailbuff View Post
Has anyone else here sold pictures directly to AMTRAK Rewards? They requested a couple images from me that they found on this site. I signed a contract and uploaded those to them one month ago and haven't received payment yet.
You did exactly what they wanted. You sent them (I assume) full res images before getting money in hand. They now have no reason to pay you. I never provide high res anything until I have something to put in the bank. I got an email from Amtrak last week requesting photo usage. Found out that they asked a friend of mine a few days prior. We both said we'd send the images as soon as we had a check. Neither of us heard back again.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
MasCoRailbuff

Thanks, Darryl. I think I will wait a couple more weeks before I start to make a fuss with them. I have been advised by a trusted friend that lag time with a similar corporation before they cut him a check was about 45 days. It's the first time that I've made a serious sale, so I just assumed the turnaround would've been quicker.

Joel Hawthorn

My stuff on Railpics

My Zenfolio project
Old 09-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
BUFFIE

Default My experience was good

My experience was a good one with them. Give it a couple more weeks.
BUFFIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

Companies have 60 day (and in some cases 90 day) terms for payment. I would honestly not start to worry until 90 days have gone by since you provided them with your payment information.

In selling pics to companies I have only had one "forget to pay," and in that case, when I finally got it resolved, it was fairly clear that someone had just screwed up. No one was trying to rip me off. Someone just didn't submit the bill correctly.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:26 AM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule View Post
You did exactly what they wanted. You sent them (I assume) full res images before getting money in hand. They now have no reason to pay you. I never provide high res anything until I have something to put in the bank. I got an email from Amtrak last week requesting photo usage. Found out that they asked a friend of mine a few days prior. We both said we'd send the images as soon as we had a check. Neither of us heard back again.
Hi Darryl,

I have dealt with a fair number of publications, from magazines to calendars, and in my experience, none of them pay up front. Virtually all pay upon publication, which means you do have to offer up the image and trust that they will make good on their offer. So far, I have never had one let me down (fingers crossed.) Generally, I will ask them a standard set of questions, and then do a little research to make sure they are legit. The usual course of events is something like this:

- Initial request for the image.
- Some back and forth in which we discuss the usage and the fee
- I send them the image
- They send me a licensing agreement and a W9 to sign
- The check arrives within 30 days after the issue goes to press
- Usually, they forward a copy of the actual publication

With calendars, it takes forever to get paid. That's because image requests for a 2017 calendar happen in mid-2015. The 2017 calendar itself gets published in the late summer of 2016 (almost a year after I send an image) and then the check finally arrives. You pretty much need to keep a notebook to remind yourself what people still owe you. But reputable publishers are good. They are very careful about licensing and copyrights. I once had a publisher Photoshop out the face of a locomotive engineer, because I didn't have a model release from the guy....and the publisher made sure he asked for and got my permission to do that before adjusting the image.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 09-20-2015 at 03:04 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule View Post
Hmm...Amtrak has used three of my images and I never had a problem getting paid from whatever promotional company was purchasing for them. One of them was Arnold and I can't remember the name of the other at this moment. In each case, I sent the photo and within a few weeks I had a check.

Edit: Kevin's "course of events" list above has been exactly how it's gone for me.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 09-21-2015 at 03:13 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
bigbassloyd

No issues with Amtrak paying up here either.

Haven't been stiffed yet by any person, company, or government.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Haven't been stiffed yet by any person, company, or government.

Loyd L.
Not even with the current administration??

MasCoRailbuff - I'll give you half what your owed now if you send me the full amount if /when you get it : )

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #10
MasCoRailbuff

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
...MasCoRailbuff - I'll give you half what your owed now if you send me the full amount if /when you get it : )

/Mitch
Thanks for your generous offer Mitch but the check arrived in the mail today, happy camper here!

Joel Hawthorn

My stuff on Railpics

My Zenfolio project
Old 09-22-2015, 03:28 AM   #11
Darryl Rule

Great to hear. I just found it odd that when a former Amtrak employee told them his plan for sending them his photos, they moved on to me, When I basically told them the same thing, just in different terms, I never heard back either. Glad you got paid though! That's one of the perks of this site!
Old 09-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Thanks for your generous offer Mitch but the check arrived in the mail today, happy camper here!
By the way, which Amtrak photo of yours should we be looking for in a future publication? Share!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 09-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #13
MasCoRailbuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
By the way, which Amtrak photo of yours should we be looking for in a future publication? Share!
#27 approaching Wishram Tunnel. This one's a money maker 'cause I sold it again to another agency!
Image © Joel Hawthorn
PhotoID: 499157
Photograph © Joel Hawthorn

#28 at towal Wa
Image © Joel Hawthorn
PhotoID: 508561

Joel Hawthorn

My stuff on Railpics

My Zenfolio project

Last edited by MasCoRailbuff; 09-23-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:23 AM   #14
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

Ive sold two photos within the last 3 months and both transactions were seemless. It was odd though that one wanted a train photo for a bank brochure, and this was the other.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

A Pittsburgh based real estate company purchased this one off of me. I found it funny.

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:58 AM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
#27 approaching Wishram Tunnel. This one's a money maker 'cause I sold it again to another agency!
Image © Joel Hawthorn
PhotoID: 499157

#28 at towal Wa]
Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgranville View Post
A Pittsburgh based real estate company purchased this one off of me. I found it funny.
I hope you were laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #16
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

Believe me Jim, I did.

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote