Old 12-07-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Gordon Graham

Send a message via ICQ to Gordon Graham Send a message via MSN to Gordon Graham
Default Ask for opinion ...

Ask for opinion ...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=127131

Here is my best photo that I have taken ..
But I see it is not very popular and only about 150 people have viewed ...

So , welcome to give some suggest or opinion to me ~

Thankyou for looking ...

-- Bad English ><" --
Gordon Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
RJSorensen

Good photographs and popular photographs do not always equal the same thing. The shots that seem to do very well are taken from the air, take a long . . . . . time waiting and or are of wrecks. Excellent shots, though technically perfect are not enjoyed necessarily for this merit.

Your shot is nice, but perhaps 50,000 of the total shots on the site are of 3/4 views. Foreign power is not that well known, especially on a site that is mostly North American (USA/Canada) power.

That you got as many views as you did speaks well of your technical merit. Shots seem to be accepted on merit of the skills of the photographer, but the popularity of such, the votes of the viewers is not. It is very hard to beat a good wreck, no matter what one does.

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
bnsf sammy

Taken from the thread "How do you grade your photos?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
However, if you're taking pictures soley for the purpose of posting on RP.net. You're doing this "hobby" for the wrong reasons.
It shouldn't matter how popular your photo is as long as you like it.

Last edited by bnsf sammy; 12-07-2005 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added where the quote came from
bnsf sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Donna

I agree with RJSorensen. The wrecks and the air shots, plus the long distant shots of mountains and bridges get the views. It's a shame the viewing public are interested in destruction and things barely visable.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #5
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

I usually wont look at photos with foreign trains, I'm just not interested in 'em.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
Pat Lorenz

You got that right, i really dont care about the euro stuff. The air, wrecks and specail trains are ones that get the best views. I also noticed stuff taken along time ago, like the old SP stuff is particulaly popular. I most enjoy photos showing people operations (but i have never taken any). Like track crews and stuff. I also like scenic shots, stuff with mountains and great terrain and grade.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
Gordon Graham

Send a message via ICQ to Gordon Graham Send a message via MSN to Gordon Graham

I know that ... but compare with others photos ,
It should be the best one . However ,
It is not very popular than those " bad photos " ...
I feel so interested ...

Anyway .. welcome to give me some opinion ~ Thanks .

-----------------------------------------------------------

Here are two photos that are took at the same position and style ,
one has been viewed for 196 times while the other one has only been viewed for 80 times ... so interest =.="

In your point of view , do you see they have some differents ?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=127133

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=127132

-- bad use of English --
Gordon Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Personally, I clicked on the first photo right away because it (sort of) resembles NA power such as this:

Image © Kevin Andrusia
PhotoID: 50475
Photograph © Kevin Andrusia

In the second photo you cannot see the cab which I do not really find interesting. I'm sure the photo tells a story but I do not know it.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default What is your reaction.

When you're composing a photo of a train/railroad related subject you should always be concious of what makes that particular picture worth taking?

What is it about this that just jumps out at me? The scenery, the train, the operation, etc.

Keep in mind that what YOU find interesting may not be as interesting to the next guy, or girl, or the one after that. But the way I see it, if anyone looks at the photo, it's a plus.

You've probably heard the adage, "Would you have taken the photo if the train wasn't there?" As odd as that idea may sound, in many cases it makes perfect sense. This is how you can tell you have something unusual or interesting.

People come to this website already know that they'll see pictures of trains, and they know they can go to many other places to do so as well. So you have to look at another dimension of the hobby and tell a story with your photo.

Some questions I ask myself are: Is the train switching in a yard, spotting an industry, pulling a 100-car coal train up or down the side of a mountain or crossing a river? How fast is the train going, where is it going, where did it come from, what is the historical significance of the spot you're taking the photo from?

The follow on question to that should be, "How do I depict that in a photo?"

Can you incorporate a milepost or station sign in somehow? Maybe a road sign nearby? Can I shoot in a fashion that will show the increase/decrease in the grade, can I shoot

Obviously, there are hundreds if not thousands of other potential questions, but when you can start asking yourself, "What makes it special?" and you can honestly answer, "Nothing." You'll begin to understand what it takes to make popular photos.

BTW, if YOU like your photo, it's a good photo, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Sean

(Like Sean should know about popular photos right? HA HA HA HA!!)

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"

Last edited by hoydie17; 12-08-2005 at 07:45 PM.
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #10
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
When you're composing a photo of a train/railroad related subject you should always be concious of what makes that particular picture worth taking?

What is it about this that just jumps out at me? The scenery, the train, the operation, etc.

Keep in mind that what YOU find interesting may not be as interesting to the next guy, or girl, or the one after that. But the way I see it, if anyone looks at the photo, it's a plus.

You've probably heard the adage, "Would you have taken the photo if the train wasn't there?" As odd as that idea may sound, in many cases it makes perfect sense. This is how you can tell you have something unusual or interesting.

People come to this website already know that they'll see pictures of trains, and they know they can go to many other places to do so as well. So you have to look at another dimension of the hobby and tell a story with your photo.

Some questions I ask myself are: Is the train switching in a yard, spotting an industry, pulling a 100-car coal train up or down the side of a mountain or crossing a river? How fast is the train going, where is it going, where did it come from, what is the historical significance of the spot you're taking the photo from?

The follow on question to that should be, "How do I depict that in a photo?"

Can you incorporate a milepost or station sign in somehow? Maybe a road sign nearby? Can I shoot in a fashion that will show the increase/decrease in the grade, can I shoot

Obviously, there are hundreds if not thousands of other potential questions, but when you can start asking yourself, "What makes it special?" and you can honestly answer, "Nothing." You'll begin to understand what it takes to make popular photos.

BTW, if YOU like your photo, it's a good photo, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Sean

(Like Sean should know about popular photos right? HA HA HA HA!!)
::CLAPPING::...Sean absolutely NAILED this one.
I especially love the line "Would you have taken the photo if the train wasn't there?" and that is perfectly right. Sure if it is rare power or something special a roster shot or 3/4 shot would be suffiicient but otherwise tell the story with your photograph. Just more of my opinion but can't do any better than what Sean said.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 12-08-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:59 PM   #11
chris crook

" You've probably heard the adage, "Would you have taken the photo if the train wasn't there?" As odd as that idea may sound, in many cases it makes perfect sense. This is how you can tell you have something unusual or interesting. "

So you mean train photos can only have snow capped mountains in them to be good? As clever as it sounds, it is kind of a load of bull.

Don't equate picture views with guality, and don't equate scenery with the skill of any particular photographer.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote