Old 06-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Kilroy1313

Default How I missed this shot today

Since more than a year I work on this shot now: first I tried out different locations, but all the times the clutter was overwhelming, only on a short portion of track you have a free sight to the tracks.
On one of these cold winter days early this year I finally reached this special location and so I returned there today.
With my brand new Nikon D5000 DSLR, just shooting around, but still not having finished that phonebook like owners manual. So it came as it had to: I started shuttering wildly (as I had missed this feeling for many years now after selling all these superb DSLR cameras I had before).
But a bit too early - so as the buffer memory was filled it was over -, so I have now plenty of shots before the spot the loco should stay and after...
but not there were it should be!
Looks as if I had to return there again.
Fortunately I stayed for some more pictures but from other view angles:
Image © Kilroy1313
PhotoID: 288437
Photograph © Kilroy1313
Image © Kilroy1313
PhotoID: 288436
Photograph © Kilroy1313
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Missed1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	4262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Missed2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	4263  
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
CUDA7185

Send a message via AIM to CUDA7185

I know how frustrating that can be. I was working on a pan shot of a pair of AEM-7's the other day and for some reason I just could not get it to line up. I captured the front and rear of the locomotives but for some reason I just stopped pushing the button as they passed right through the center of the frame.

That looks like a nice location though, definitely worth another trip. I imagine that would look good as a winter scene too (Forgive my lack of geographical knowledge, but it does snow in Luxembourg, right? )

That reminds me of another image I worked on. About a year ago May I went to shoot at night, and the one shot I was after came out well except for the focus. I was sure I had it set right in the dark but for some reason it just didn't work out. I tried to recreate it during the year a number of times but the lighting was never quite the same. Long story short, I waited almost exactly a year to the day and finally got it:

http://mattbeisser.fotopic.net/p58271674.html

Good luck with yours!

My Photos on Railpictures.Net
My Railroad & HO Scale Model Photos at Fotopic.Net
CUDA7185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Kilroy1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDA7185 View Post
(...)
That looks like a nice location though, definitely worth another trip. I imagine that would look good as a winter scene too (Forgive my lack of geographical knowledge, but it does snow in Luxembourg, right? )
(...)
Thanks, Matt, for your input, a good idea indeed. In fact I discovered the place this winter/without snow. Problem is that even without the snow the place is very difficult to reach, and acceptation of my snow shots at RP is weak so probably on another seasen, but I will keep your idea in mind...

Your question about snow: yes, only the latest years the winters are missing greater quantities of snow.
My video's about trains in the snow !
Your lack in geography may be mended by google.maps : just enter: "Luxembourg, Europe" and you will discover our tiny country. And yes, I'll go back there !
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote