Old 09-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
troy12n
Banned

Default Question for Pennsylvania people - MGA questions

I am looking to make a trip in late October to the SouthWest PA/North WV region. Key focal points will be the Cass Scenic, Durbin & Greenbrier, former Monongahela Railway and some of the other standard places like the ex-B&O.

I have some specific questions about what is now known as the MGA Mine District of NS.

In looking online, there is little info about this area. One of the things I am having an issue with is the name/locations after doing some research. Specifically, where the hell is "Time", PA?? I cannot find this location on any map, or anywhere online. It's like it does not exist. I found references in timetables and even as a location on railpictures. But not on any maps.

One of the mapping programs I use, Microsoft Mappoint does not even have parts of the MGA, such as the Manor Branch even on it's map. Google maps does.

If anyone could give me info on the area, strategies, etc for railfanning this area, it would be appreciated.

EDIT: also, is the October 21-25 date "too late" for fall colors in this area?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
JRMDC

Wow, that is odd. I have identified the rough location, within a mile or two, using
http://www.wvrail.railfan.net/manor_branch.html
and google maps, but I'd wait for someone who has been there to respond. They will also tell you exactly where the well-known (but not to me!) overlook is.

Terrible to say, but I grew up 30 miles from there, never even heard of it until I was long gone. No internet, no other railfans around as a kid, how was I to know???

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
PLEzero

Google Sycamore,PA. It's a little northwest of Waynesburg. Time is located a few miles to the west, railroad South.

More after the Steelers game....

Image © Brad Morocco
PhotoID: 341820
Photograph © Brad Morocco
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
More after the Steelers game....
I am watching that game too (our local game is blacked out). Baltimore is whooping that ass!! I have Flacco on my fantasy team, and also Mendenhall, he better step it up!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
troy12n
Banned

Nice little brawl there

Crowd chanting: "Steelers Suck, Steelers Suck, Steelers Suck"
Old 09-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
PLEzero

The best place to start is the WVrail site Janusz linked to.

Bailey Mine, which is inaccessible, loads about 6-9 trains per day.

You can find Time by typing "Crouse Road and SR 4015, PA" into Google. The popular shot is located on the south side of the tracks where the private crossing is at the big black spot on the tracks. You can park next to the tracks on the south side and walk up the hillside. The hillside is actually fenced in so you must walk along the outside perimeter of the fence to get where I took my photo. Probably about 3/4 of the way up the tree line on Google maps. Late morning is when the sun is best. You will hear chatter before a loaded train is on the move north. They will also throw the switch via radio signal. That's when you know it's 'go time'.

Helpers are used at Bailey Mine. More than likely they will be a pair of ES40DC's. The helper couples onto northbounds when they finish loading. That's when you will hear "all north of the load out" over the radio. They will likely cut off right at milepost 8. You will then hear them get a clearance back from MP 8 to FORK.

To answer your question about fall color: It's difficult to tell. It's been a very dry summer, however, it's been raining a lot for the last two weeks. I went to Time a few times in the week leading up to the photo I linked to. That photo was definitely the peak for that location the day I took it. I went to the Horseshoe Curve area exactly one week later and it was hit or miss. Some locations had great color and some had none. The 21st might put you past peak for that specific spot but color should be good at numerous other places closer to the river.
My RP.net Photos

Last edited by PLEzero; 09-11-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Answer fall foliage question
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
troy12n
Banned

Thanks....