Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
A telesmash will certainly give that illusion.
So would a clone tool.

I have never heard telesmash outside of railroad photography circles. I would think it would apply more to a larger depth of field than a narrow one, so the items in the picture appear closer together. Sports photographers tend to use very narrow depth of field to give the subject pop from the background. Nothing looks lamer than bunch of football players all mushed together when they are 10 or more yards apart-or the crowd looking like it is inches away from a play.

One of my pet peeves in rr photography is the f11 shot of a train melting into a background, but that's just me.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #27
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris crook View Post
So would a clone tool.

I have never heard telesmash outside of railroad photography circles. I would think it would apply more to a larger depth of field than a narrow one, so the items in the picture appear closer together. Sports photographers tend to use very narrow depth of field to give the subject pop from the background. Nothing looks lamer than bunch of football players all mushed together when they are 10 or more yards apart-or the crowd looking like it is inches away from a play.

One of my pet peeves in rr photography is the f11 shot of a train melting into a background, but that's just me.
Telesmash has nothing to do with the depth of field. Shallow or narrow, zoomed in at 400mm, the objects in the image will still look closer together than reality. And I really doubt Ron did any cloning to make that shot look the way it does. It's pretty obvious to me that the zoom range he was working with created the illusion of the the train being close to the corn. I'm willing to bet there's at least a 20-30 ft gap of no corn where the rails lay.

And while this isn't exactly a telesmash, (ie: long zoom shot), the barn was actually a good 50 feet away from the edge of the corn rows:

Also, can you show some examples of f11 railroad images where the train is melding into the background?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 09-01-2012 at 06:45 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #28
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
A telesmash will certainly give that illusion.
Jim;
Since I wouldn't call depth of field an optical illusion, is it safe to say that telesmash is basically another name for optical illusion? or perhaps defining a particular type of optical illusion, like this site points out?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_optical_illusions
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #29
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Jim;
Since I wouldn't call depth of field an optical illusion, is it safe to say that telesmash is basically another name for optical illusion? or perhaps defining a particular type of optical illusion, like this site points out?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_optical_illusions
No, I'd call the telesmash and optical illusion, as you can have different DOFs with the same telesmash simply by changing the fstop. A 400mm shot at f2.8 is going to have a different DOF from a 400mm shot at f22. However, the telesmash illusion is going to remain the same. Telesmash to me is just a simple slang word for Telephoto Perspective Compression, Perspective Distortion or Flattening.

Here's a simple example of a telesmash. As the length of the lens increases, the subjects appear closer together: http://www.film-and-video.com/dofmyth.htm

Here's a wiki entry. The water bottles show the telesmash, or perspective distortion, perfectly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspec...photography%29

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 09-01-2012 at 02:46 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #30
Ween

Pikes Peak (the snowy mountain on the left)...25 miles away.

Telemash, Paulhamus-style:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 288065
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

Not so 'mashed, not so impressive:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 325727

Wide(r)-angle, lame:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 367145

Last edited by Ween; 09-01-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #31
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Telemeshing will amplify normal rail irregularities, and make steep grades look even steeper when shot head on.

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 368004
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 325327

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 408025

Last edited by travsirocz; 09-04-2012 at 02:44 AM.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote