Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Kyle Korienek

Default Curious, what do you guys think?

Even though I have only been sharing one railroad on here, I want to know what you guys think of this, does this photo belong on RP? Or is it something that has noticeable flaws that would prevent it from getting on here? Also, any tips on night shooting are greatly appreciated, not something that is discussed on here very much. Thanks for anything in advanced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7725 - Copy.JPG (118.2 KB, 195 views)

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
CSX1702

I've never tried these shots myself, but from what I've seen on RP, it at least has a chance. Nice picture.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

It seems to be technically executed well, but I foresee a PEQ rejection. They don't seem to take nearly as many streak shots around here as they used to and when they do, they are generally part of a larger scene, not the scene itself. So got closer to a signal, a depot, a crossing or a parked loco next time and try again is my advice.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Mgoldman

One of the best I've seen, I'd hope that the screener would accept a finer example of what exists in droves within the database.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Kyle Korienek

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...99&key=6754712

lol...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Old 09-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
lol...
Well, not really - it wasn't rejected for composition nor PEQ.

I didn't notice at first view, but it IS a bit blurry. That could be the result of the train rumbling by shaking the tripod (Hmmm - I wonder if image stabilization would work here?). However - you just may be able to recover the image with the right amount of sharpening. You have a lot of room to play with this type of shot. Give it a go - good luck!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

Mitch is onto something. I didn't see it at first either, but look at the ballast. It's not in focus. Might have to put this one in the book as a decent practice shot.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
I noticed that on the first pass and you can probably fix it.

Was your camera on auto focus and on what point did it focus?

Auto focus is ok, but you need to have it lock on a specific point (in this case the gates) otherwise you will get a blurry image.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Well, not really - it wasn't rejected for composition nor PEQ.

I didn't notice at first view, but it IS a bit blurry. That could be the result of the train rumbling by shaking the tripod (Hmmm - I wonder if image stabilization would work here?). However - you just may be able to recover the image with the right amount of sharpening. You have a lot of room to play with this type of shot. Give it a go - good luck!

/Mitch
True, there is some hope, I may try to crop it down or sharpen it a little, the foreground is much worse than I thought. Fortunately, if I cannot, I may try it again tonight as Amtrak runs daily and the weather will be good for it. I really like the light on this, not something that is really showcased and it creates a real cool scene when combined with another light feature, in this case, the gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I noticed that on the first pass and you can probably fix it.

Was your camera on auto focus and on what point did it focus?

Auto focus is ok, but you need to have it lock on a specific point (in this case the gates) otherwise you will get a blurry image.
I used a manual focus, I should have done some test shots or been closer to help focus better to get it a little sharper, my auto focus is a little fussy in low light and I usually just turn it over to manual. The gates are the best subject for this, although I would like to keep it a little back and catch part of the streak as well and not blow out the shot with too much light.

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 09-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
Kyle Korienek

I think this is about the composition I want to try the next time I shoot this, probably even a little bit wider to show off the streak before the crossing, but definitely closer to the crossing, and focus on the crossing. However, not right next to the crossing so that the photo isn't overexposed. Thanks for all your help! All of you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7725.JPG (124.0 KB, 114 views)

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 09-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
NSFan14

IMO, Looks really grainy...
Old 09-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14 View Post
IMO, Looks really grainy...
Its out of focus and that is a result of me sharpening it, if it was in focus, I wouldn't have to oversharpen it to compensate. Like Joe said, probably gonna file this away as a practice and re-shoot it in focus with the composition I just posted a few minutes ago.

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
Kyle Korienek

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...25&key=2372300

Well, crap...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
Kyle Korienek

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...50&key=1217569

Even toned back, still rejected... How is this overexposed? Maybe I'm naive and biased but I've seen some on here a lot worse...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
adickson

Quote:

Even toned back, still rejected... How is this overexposed? Maybe I'm naive and biased but I've seen some on here a lot worse...
The cross bucks, bungalow, and most street signs are blown out. Lower your ISO or raise your F number to avoid over exposure. There may be worse on here, in your opinion, but I should think you would want to submit a good picture not a "good enough" picture. Raise the bar and keep trying, you'll get it.
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by adickson View Post
There may be worse on here, in your opinion, but I should think you would want to submit a good picture not a "good enough" picture. Raise the bar and keep trying, you'll get it.
Very good point, looking back at my test shots, when I was trying to focus, the signs were clear and readable, ISO 100 and a higher f value is in order. Are having the outlying details in this shot better to be left dark? the only light is from the far street lights and the locomotive and I do not use other lighting.

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
adickson

Quote:
Are having the outlying details in this shot better to be left dark? the only light is from the far street lights and the locomotive and I do not use other lighting.
Tough to say without being there in person. I think that is really based on personal taste. In my opinion, I'd say get as much detail as you can. Any way to shoot in the opposite direction and include the signals and crossing?

Here is one I've been playing with. Nothing special, just a test shot. No train, just car traffic. I used my flashlight to pull more detail out of the foreground but left the trees as silhouettes. The sky went to hell on me. I did have strong post storm clouds with nearly full moon lighting them up but then heavy cloud cover came in the flattened it. If you can get more in your sky it would certainly help. If you have light pollution go for clouds and moonlight, if you are far enough from light pollution, star trails are sweet.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by adickson View Post
Tough to say without being there in person. I think that is really based on personal taste. In my opinion, I'd say get as much detail as you can. Any way to shoot in the opposite direction and include the signals and crossing?

Here is one I've been playing with. Nothing special, just a test shot. No train, just car traffic. I used my flashlight to pull more detail out of the foreground but left the trees as silhouettes. The sky went to hell on me. I did have strong post storm clouds with nearly full moon lighting them up but then heavy cloud cover came in the flattened it. If you can get more in your sky it would certainly help. If you have light pollution go for clouds and moonlight, if you are far enough from light pollution, star trails are sweet.

Hope this helps.
I'm shooting this with the locomotive moving away from the camera simply because I do not like shooting facing the loco at night. However, Amtrak kills their lights here when they are waiting, and it makes it hard to get lighting from them here and I do have considerable light pollution right at the crossing, which is one thing I do not like. I may have found a new spot out of town that I may try, it offers a similar angle, minimal light pollution, and crossing gates. I want to be able to catch the crossing, the marker lights on the coaches, and some detail around. Maybe a new spot will help. Thanks for the insight!

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
adickson

Quote:
Maybe a new spot will help.
I believe you are right. This spot looks awful busy and the power lines aren't helping anything. Good luck
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
JimThias

Quote:

The image quality of the crossing signals looks awful. I'm surprised they didn't hit you with PIQ, soft or blurry.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 09-04-2012 at 02:28 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
The image quality of the crossing signals looks awful. I'm surprised they didn't hit you with PIQ, soft or blurry.
They used overexposed, its hard there because the lights wash them out so easily based on their direction, plus the lights over head, just not a spot conducive to success for this type of shot. Which is why I've given up on this spot, not this style of shot or a shot of this train...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo