Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
Joseph Cermak

Default PAQ Thoughts

Looking for some thoughts on this PAQ....I thought it was a rather interesting composition and something different than the usual 3/4 wedge shot.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...18&key=5111392
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #2
KevinM

Hi Joe,

I think that the issue is that the object you are using to frame the train takes up too much of the frame and it's not obvious what that object is. Therefore, the image is dominated by something that is unknown and uninteresting. I see this as a little different than the images that have appeared on RP in which a train was framed with a fence or some other, more familiar object.

My $.02 anyway.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 AM   #3
Decapod401

I think Kevin pretty much nailed it. An interesting effort, but it needs a more familiar foreground framing element and less of it.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
RobJor

First, I totally dismissed it but I like it a "little bit more" after review. Maybe if the foreground was a little less out of focus bringing out the detail and slightly cropped. An interesting exercise with a tripod would be to combine two images bringing the foreground into better focus or even full focus if possible with one shot and the train with the second.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
An interesting exercise with a tripod would be to combine two images bringing the foreground into better focus or even full focus if possible with one shot and the train with the second.
I was going to ask if that might be better as it would bring out the texture of the rusted metal beam. I assume I would need to take two separate frames, but don't have any experience in how I would combine them...
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
RobJor

Assuming you have software, select all of one image, copy, and then past it into the original file and you now have two layers, one with the train in focus and one with the bridge in focus. Then use a selection tool to rid most of what you don't want from one layer. There are ways to use masks and black or white brush to show or hide. I just try to use a selection tool to get close and then clean up with the eraser tool, usually at less then 100 percent.

Or you can just go to your local museum and get a kinda leaning, kinda bent photo of a stuffed steam engine. Why bother with all that creative effort for a rejection. Haven't got time for the pain.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote