Old 08-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
abr

Default Similar to Previous Photo

I had two photos from the same location, with the same class of locomotive, but different trains and composed in a different manner.

One, submitted last night, has a looser composition, so as to include Nassau Tower, the train, and the reflection on the platform sign. That image was accepted:
Image © Adam B. Reich
PhotoID: 625234
Photograph © Adam B. Reich

The rejected one is more tightly composed, where it does not feature the tower and places a greater emphasis on the reflection from the sign: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...40&key=5175704

I believed both shots had merit because of those differences in composition, even though the location and unit class was the same. I actually thought the greater emphasis on the reflection in the reject made it more compelling in some ways.

If the second submission had been composed in the same manner, but featured a different type of locomotive and/or equipment from a different road (e.g., Amtrak) would I have likely gotten the same rejection or would that difference have been significant enough for the screeners? With "similar" images with differences such as the ones I've mentioned, if one is held for an extended period (several months, if not longer), is it appreciably less likely that this basis for rejection would come up?
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
Decapod401

Without checking the number or noticing whether or not the ditch lights are on, its more or less a different crop of the same photo. You're not doing yourself any favors by posting such similar photos. Beside the obvious issue of rejection, most people won't click on a photo that looks like one they've recently seen.

In the future, my advice is to pick the one that you like the most and post it. If you feel strongly that a similar image is worth posting, let it sit on the back burner for a year or two. If you still feel that it should be posted, do it then.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:18 AM   #3
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Neither version really grabs me. Perhaps a more balance half and half version would work, but at least in my case I had to look closely to realize part of the image was a reflection, the initial impression was two separate images. More confusing that anything else. But that's just me, and obviously others may see it differently Interesting idea but I think the results fall into the close but no banana category, in both cases (even if one got accepted).
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:48 AM   #4
troy12n
Banned

I'm actually surprised they even accepted the first one, it's composition is very awkward.

Why do you even want to submit 2 of them?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 AM   #5
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I'm actually surprised they even accepted the first one, it's composition is very awkward. Why do you even want to submit 2 of them?
You're surprised? We've seen a lot worse accepted. It is amazing how they can nit pick a pretty decent image, and just accept some really mediocre stuff. The only rationale in my mind is they want to encourage new members by accepting stuff from folks who have a lot to learn. Which maybe is both good business and good for encouraging younger folks to the hobby. But it certainly involves standards that are different from the advertised.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
You're surprised? We've seen a lot worse accepted. It is amazing how they can nit pick a pretty decent image, and just accept some really mediocre stuff. The only rationale in my mind is they want to encourage new members by accepting stuff from folks who have a lot to learn. Which maybe is both good business and good for encouraging younger folks to the hobby. But it certainly involves standards that are different from the advertised.
Well, the banner doesn't say "Only the best railroad photos", does it?

As someone observed on this forum, if it were only the best, there wouldn't be 500,000+ photos on the site.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Could be they hold the more experienced photographers to a higher level.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I hear you. Certainly is demoralizing to have something superior in every respect rejected and then just utter junk accepted. Like the CN train I posted about yesterday which was just garbage quality.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
RobJor

I'd think the reason it got flagged is that it is unique so the repeat stuck out..
When I saw the small version above it looked like a film thing where the film didn't advance properly.

When I first started they were pretty hard on me and my first submission and acceptance was an appeal.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote