Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #101
Chris Kilroy
Administrator
 
Chris Kilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 918
Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
That's precisely point of this thread...
The contributor, as well as others, get frustrated having photos rejected without a qualified reason. Had a screener simply stated a more accurate rejection - "green tint" or "color balance" or maybe a side note saying "nice shot, try adjusting the tint to get it accepted" all this would be moot.

RP is just setting itself up here. There is no way the contributor could go in to Photoshop and remove the "high sun". And even if he could... RP would still reject it for the green tint which was the issue all along. Ping pong.

On behalf of RP however, as I mentioned earlier, the appeal process was a big step forward in rectifying the situation.
Mitch,

I wouldn't go so far as to say that this shot was rejected without a qualified reason. Judging by the shadow on the rail, the plow, and the dark trucks of the trailing cars, the photo is definitely borderline high sun. In my opinion, however, it isn't bad enough that it detracts much from an otherwise well composed shot (even if it is another NS Dash 9! ), but the green cast, and the original softness, is.

Maybe the original screener saw the high sun as more of an issue than the green cast. Maybe the original screener was screening on an LCD instead of a TFT, which muted the color cast, and made the photo appear sharper than it was really. There are a thousand different combinations of scenarios, including personal preference, screening equipment, or simply whether one screener is having a good day and the other one isn't, which could cause two different human beings to see the same subjective photo in different ways.

That's the nature of the best; we aren't robots.

We try our best to maintain consistency, and overall, I think we do a pretty good job of it. If you don't feel we have, there's the appeal function, which guarantees that your shot gets a second look by a fresh pair of eyes. If you're still not satisfied, you can e-mail us, and we'll take a look at it.

What more do you want?

-Chris

P.S. Just as a point of interest, we've screened 91,976 photos this year as of this minute. I, personally, have done 23,328 of them, and one other member of the team has done 57,731. This is a task that goes on every day, and never, ever stops. The admins don't take weekends, holidays, or vacations off.

I can't even count the number of times I, personally, have sat in the car with a laptop and a satellite internet connection screening comments, e-mails, and photos while waiting for the next train to arrive, or done the same on a laptop in a hotel room on vacation, or even updated the Photo of the Week at my Father's hospital bedside via the Hospital wifi, as I was doing a couple weeks ago.

This is a nonstop job which we rarely, if ever, get a break from. I'm not complaining, because that's just how it is, and I do it by choice, but next time you don't feel like we're doing the best we can, try to remember the dedication that this team puts into the site, much of it on a volunteer basis.

Over 100,000 photos screened, is every decision going to be perfect? No way... never gonna happen. But we do endeavor to do the best we can on every photo screened because, after all, who has the most to lose if we don't, and photographers do start to flock away? That's right.. those of us who've poured our blood, sweat, and tears into the site for almost 5 years!

Last edited by Chris Kilroy; 09-12-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #102
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
we've screened 91,976 photos this year as of this minute. I, personally, have done 23,328 of them, and one other member of the team has done 57,731.
Man, AB (2) really needs to get a girlfriend!
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #103
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
P.S. Just as a point of interest, we've screened 91,976 photos this year as of this minute. I, personally, have done 23,328 of them, and one other member of the team has done 57,731. This is a task that goes on every day, and never, ever stops. The admins don't take weekends, holidays, or vacations off.
Well, 91,976 - 23,328 - 57,731 = 10,107, spread across three other screeners, slacking!

I think my ratio of acceptances to rejections is about to go waaay down. Well, no, actually, the odds of getting one of the slackers are about 8:1, so I'm ok.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 AM   #104
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Senior Member
 
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlboro, NJ
Posts: 1,956
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Man, AB (2) really needs to get a girlfriend!
So what comedy club is it I am visiting when I finally make it up to ND?
And actually I'm one of the "slackers" so guess again, although your girlfriend assessment is sadly true. Ugh.
__________________
-Andrew Blaszczyk a.k.a. AB(2)
Proud fan of the Sabres, Islanders, Rockies, and Lions.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 AM   #105
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist
 
MichaelJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 630
Default

What is it with the rail fraternity and single men?

PS. I don't have one either - but I'm only 22!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
And actually I'm not one of the "slackers" so guess again.
I'm sure that's what you meant.
__________________
My portfolio at RailPictures.Net!
My portfolio at Flickr!

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:48 AM   #106
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
So what comedy club is it I am visiting when I finally make it up to ND?
It's the eastern part of the state itself. You will laugh at what we have to work with and how flat, barren, featureless, and straight all the track is here as you leave for someplace more scenic!

BTW, the University of ND is here, so there are abundant tall Nordic blondes running around. You can get a two-for-one when you come visit!
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #107
quiksmith10
Senior Member
 
quiksmith10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Norman, OK / Frederick, MD
Posts: 269
Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
This is a nonstop job which we rarely, if ever, get a break from. I'm not complaining, because that's just how it is, and I do it by choice, but next time you don't feel like we're doing the best we can, try to remember the dedication that this team puts into the site, much of it on a volunteer basis.
Sorry if it seems I don't know nor care about the dedication, cause I do take that into consideration. Sure, I disagree with some portions of the way you guys screen but you all do a pretty great job with the small number of screeners and the large volume of photos that pour into your website. I don't pay the bills so my comments can only go so far but if I see something major that I don't agree with (like the topic of this thread) then I will voice my opinion because I am a contributor. I only voice my opinion because I want this site to continue on a good track, I think we all do.
__________________
Brandon Smith

Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.net!

Photography Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53118039@N05/
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #108
Carl Becker
Senior Member
 
Carl Becker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksmith10
I only voice my opinion because I want this site to continue on a good track, I think we all do.
If you do, then don't contribute to the problems that you complain about.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.