Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
AntD.

Question Speaking of Camera Bags...Opinions Please.

Since my handy dandy, ghetto camera bag is no longer able to do its job, I figured I'd take the chance to purchase a backpack instead of another typical bag, since it seems a little more my style. I have my eye on a particular one, but before I hit the buy button, I just wanted some outside opinions and options.

I need something to hold 1 body, 2 lens (18-55mm, 55mm-200mm) and a tripod and the other extras.

This is what I'm looking at now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Weather-...item53ecacc3c0

Thanks!

Ant

My RP Photos

My Flickr Photos

My RRPA Photos

YouTube Videos
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Looks like a cheep nock off but for that price why not. I had more bags then most and now have one just for my 300 mm, Nice to grab what one needs not all. With L glass all gets heavy fast.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
JRMDC

If brand or confidence in the seller matter, this one is only $40, I've happily used it for years.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-B.../dp/B00009R6TA

You may have to remove the Canon logo if you use another brand or if you want more discretion.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I started a thread about this in the past year. There was some good info, but the price ranges were much higher.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
KevinM

When it comes to camera bags, the recommendations people make are often based on their shooting styles. If you're the type who hikes to the top of a mountain, then sets up a tripod, you'll get one type of recommendation. From someone like me who virtually never uses a tripod and is always running around, you'll get a recommendation that is somewhat different. Folks may need to know a little bit more about how you shoot.

I can say that very few camera bags will accommodate a tripod. Mine has external straps for a very lightweight one, but would never carry my Manfrotto. I have a large camera bag for transporting my gear on planes and trains, and a much smaller one that I use when running around. When you shoot like I do, lighter is better.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Mr. Pick

I've never heard of Bower, but they could be fine. Also, it says it is water proof/weather resistant, but from the pictures it appears the zipper to the main compartment is exposed. I prefer a flap that covers the zipper to keep rain out, like my Lowepro backpack has.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Heymon

I actually use one of those messenger bags when I travel or go out specifically to take photos. They're pretty cheap, carry a lot of gear, plus water and snacks if you want. I started with a small one that could carry a body with a lens, plus one lens. Then I got a bigger one, the size slightly larger than a laptop case, which holds 2 bodies with lenses, a flash, a gorillapod, an extra lens sometimes, a point and shoot, and maps, plus a bottled water. Easy access just by lifting the flap, and nondescript in case you don't want to draw attention to your gear.

The downside is that when it gets heavy, you're only putting it on one shoulder and it can start to ache. Also, it is not padded and not very compartmentalized, so your gear can get banged around. I don't have any "L" glass or equivalent, and my best body is a Nikon D90, so I am not all that worried about weight or a little banging around. I tried the backpack before, but switching lenses (which I do a lot on travel) was annoying when your stuff was on your back and you have to swing it around before you can swap. Just throwing another idea out there.

Andre
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
I tried the backpack before, but switching lenses (which I do a lot on travel) was annoying when your stuff was on your back and you have to swing it around before you can swap. Just throwing another idea out there.

Andre
Great point, and the reason why I am not a fan of backpack-type bags. They are fine for folks who set up a tripod, plunk down a chair, and wait for trains. For folks who are on the run, backpacks are a major inconvenience, because you cannot easily access your equipment while carrying them.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
JRMDC

I'm confused. What sort of a bag is more convenient than a backpack-style? I see the messenger bag as just another bag on a shoulder sling, albeit with one compartment. If I anticipate needing equipment changes, I move my backpack to a single shoulder strap. A messenger bag with compartments!

I can see a waist pack giving easy access to one or two items, but not to 4-5 lenses and all the miscellaneous stuff. I know that pro photo gear can involve individual lens compartments draped seemingly all over the body. I vaguely recall seeing sling backs, I think, that have more space, maybe compartments, and are basically designed with a round-the-torso diagonal strap, so one can easily move the bag from back to front without removing it. Maybe that is the alternative? I have pondered that sort of a bag, but I am not out there enough to justify experimenting with or spending money on a second bag. Anyway, I personally don't mind setting the bag down, getting the weight off for a while. Even in snow. Rain/mud is a different story entirely.

In total, I am not saying a backpack-style is ideal, but I don't see another system that is heads and shoulders above it.

Different strokes, of course; no criticism intended.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 05-17-2012 at 05:12 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Mr. Pick

I have a Lowepro backpack camera bag, and Domke FX-3. Both have their place, for me. The Domke is for whenever I'm fairly close to the truck, and when I need to make lens swaps often. It gets used 75% of the time. But if I'm going on a long hike over a trail, or when I'm taking the granddaughter to a theme park for all day, the backback is mighty nice. Very comfortable for long hauls, and mine has a good sized compartment where you can carry food, or stash a coat, or rain gear, etc.

No one right answer, different tools for different uses.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
sp4009

Love the backpack style, I have a Tamrac bag that holds everything but the hood for my 70-200. I can only imagine the damage that would have occurred if I had not had it when I did a face plant getting a snow shot earlier this year

My RP photos
Flickr
sp4009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
MagnumForce

I have this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...peed_Pack.html

Plenty of room, you are able to use it while it's still on your back by just swinging it around and unzipping it while it's on one shoulder, heavy strap holdes for my substantial Cullmann Tripod and my monopod if need be, pockets galore for water bottles, a foldable saw, my ham radio, my Indiana Jones Logbook etc.

Last edited by MagnumForce; 05-18-2012 at 01:18 AM.
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #13
N. Herring

I have the one Janusz mentioned, and it works well for me, I only have 2 lenses right now, but it has room for several other lenses.

Railpics
Railvids
Youtube
N. Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

You could consider a sling bag. A shoulder bag when you are shooting, a backpack when hiking in.

This one by Lowepro might work. I have had my eye on this one myself.

Lowepro Urban Photo Sling 150 (Black)

http://www.lowepro.com/urban-photo-sling

All those years on movie camera crews had me always on the lookout for the "perfect" bag.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 05-18-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #15
KevinM

I have a LowePro Pro Mag 2 AW. It's a discontinued shoulder bag that holds a pretty amazing amount of stuff. Internally, it will hold two bodies with zooms attached, a 3rd lens, a flash and just about every accessory I could want to bring. I can also attach at least 2 external lens pouches, but it gets heavy when I do that. It is ideal for traveling on a plane, or carrying on board a charter. I don't usually run around with it, but I did snowshoe alongside the WP&YR Rotary Fleet for 3 miles carrying it, so it isn't that bad.

Other bags that I really would like to try:
  • LowePro Classified 200 AW....the best messenger-style bag I've seen.
  • Tamrac Velocity 9x....as sling bags go, this one looks great. One of my buddies swears by it.

So many bags, so little time......

My RP stuff is here.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #16
Heymon

The Lowepro Event Messenger is very similar to the bag I use. In fact, since my cheapo bag is wearing out (the pockets are no longer completely separate from each other) I think that will be my next one. The padding will help for sure.

The sling bags look okay, except they seem to be too vertical and make it harder to get stuff that is at the bottom. I like the messenger bags because they are wide and I can dig out my stuff rapidly. I found even putting a backpack on one shoulder is still awkward to swing around and get stuff out without a certain amount of contortion.

Andre
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb My bag

I have a Tamrac backpack that I like alot.

But I hike in to places such as

The Curve at Ludlow California

and if I use my heavy duty tripod, I just lug it along too.

I do find that when I go on train rides and adventures with others, that the camera pack does not hold enough gear, so I put the lenses in their bags and throw everything into a Kelty day pack that can holds water, a scanner, food and sweatshirts.

I rarely use a tripod on these outings though.

I have also brought the Tamrac on as carry on luggage and it worked well.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 05-19-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote