Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Daniel SIMON
Senior Member
 
Daniel SIMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 329
Default PEQ again

Gents,

Do you really think this is PEQ? The photo has been rejected a first time because it was overexposed (zone near the engine). I have tried to solve this problem by resubmiting this version. Your opinion would be highly appreciated. Would you have processed this photo in a different way?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...78&key=3598685
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Heymon
Senior Member
 
Heymon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 125
Default

I like the photo in general, but missed the train at first. I think the train is too far removed from the other elements in the photo to be considered a "rail picture", hence the PEQ rejection.

Andre
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,645
Default

Those discretionary judgement calls are really frustrating....

"There's nothing wrong with this image - we just don't like it".

Hopefully such a great image and unique view into the world of Damas
survives an appeal. Images such as that keep this site interesting. A
National Geographic quality image - hopefully "good enough" for RP.

(In the future, see if you can get a pretty girl to stand where the
guy is standing... much smoother sailing).

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
EMTRailfan
Senior Member
 
EMTRailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Posts: 1,455
Default

I like it. It is no different than a distant train "lost" in a scenic valley in my eyes. Just different scenery.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words. A Memory Is Worth 1000 Pictures.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
I like it. It is no different than a distant train "lost" in a scenic valley in my eyes. Just different scenery.
Evidently it's a lot different to the screener at least. An interesting shot with actual people in it gets PEQ while a shot with old gas pumps gets a Screeners Choice.

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 424878
Photograph © Mike Danneman


This is not a dig against the shot that got the SC or the photographer who took it.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Mr. Pick
Senior Member
 
Mr. Pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 662
Default

Great image, I hope they will reconsider. If accepted, I think this photo would find its way onto the front page in short order. My opinion, of course...
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Daniel SIMON
Senior Member
 
Daniel SIMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Evidently it's a lot different to the screener at least. An interesting shot with actual people in it gets PEQ while a shot with old gas pumps gets a Screeners Choice.

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 424878
Photograph © Mike Danneman


This is not a dig against the shot that got the SC or the photographer who took it.
Thanks Joe !!

I was just about to write a note refering to the same picture who got the SC today, but you were quicker than me.

Next time, I will try to add a nice blond bird filling the tank of his car at an old gas station.
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
MassArt Images
Senior Member
 
MassArt Images's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA area
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
Thanks Joe !!

I was just about to write a note refering to the same picture who got the SC today, but you were quicker than me.

Next time, I will try to add a nice blond bird filling the tank of his car at an old gas station.
Yea. I am thinking Daisy Duke would work!
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

It tells too complicated a story for most RP viewers.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Moffat Road
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
Thanks Joe !!

I was just about to write a note refering to the same picture who got the SC today, but you were quicker than me.

Next time, I will try to add a nice blond bird filling the tank of his car at an old gas station.
Daniel,
I really like your photograph, and personally donít feel that it should be rejected for the reasons given. I have always loved railroad photographs that show the railroad in its environment, hence that is why I frequently search for the type of scene like the abandoned gas station along the UP main line near Green River. These type of photos often have a story to tell. And I think Danielís photo has a storyÖ

P.S. No offense taken Joe, although the images are quite a bit different.

Mike Danneman
Moffat Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
lalam
Senior Member
 
lalam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 177
Default

Its a nice photo. Similar to this.
lalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Two problems:

It is hard to find the train - initially, and

The train is still over exposed.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
Daniel SIMON
Senior Member
 
Daniel SIMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
Daniel,
I really like your photograph, and personally donít feel that it should be rejected for the reasons given. I have always loved railroad photographs that show the railroad in its environment, hence that is why I frequently search for the type of scene like the abandoned gas station along the UP main line near Green River. These type of photos often have a story to tell. And I think Danielís photo has a storyÖ

P.S. No offense taken Joe, although the images are quite a bit different.

Mike Danneman
Mike,

First of all, congratulations for your latest SC ! Let me tell you that I am a great fan of your photographs. As you, I like to take pictures showing the train in its broad environment and that is why I wanted to refer to your shot. In both pictures, the train is not the main subject and is seen in the distance. Unfortunately, my shot has been rejected. I also have to agree with Holloran Grade. The train still looks a bit overexposed. I will try to do better next time.
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Daniel, the overexposure is perhaps fixable with some selective editing. Given the dynamic range, I don't see what you would have done differently in-camera.

It's a very nice shot!

Thanks, Lalam, for pointing out a shot I had missed the first time around.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb Thoughts

Image © Roni Kappel
PhotoID: 391569
Photograph © Roni Kappel


I am surprised this photo is in the DB.

While I like the shot, the faces of the men are really dark (and not because of their nationality).

This could have used a flash to contrast their faces against the background, or selective lightening of their faces.

Example:

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 326121
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography


I am not sure if the OPs' photo is fixable, but it might be worth a try.

Everything past the tree and the leaves overhead would need to be darkened and some contrast brought out if possible.

If the image was shot RAW, this would be a good candidate for trying the single shot HDR method.

Although, that method generally brings out details in dark spots better, it might work here to balance the foreground and the background exposures.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
Moffat Road
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
Mike,

First of all, congratulations for your latest SC ! Let me tell you that I am a great fan of your photographs. As you, I like to take pictures showing the train in its broad environment and that is why I wanted to refer to your shot. In both pictures, the train is not the main subject and is seen in the distance. Unfortunately, my shot has been rejected. I also have to agree with Holloran Grade. The train still looks a bit overexposed. I will try to do better next time.
Thanks, Daniel!

I’m not sure I’d give up on your image so fast. It’s not like all of the highlights are blown out or anything, so I darkened the background area a bit on the jpeg just to see what could be done. I still think the image is very cool! I know it was PEQ’d, but I wonder if you should darken the background some and resubmit/appeal…

What do you guys think?… adding a blonde pumping gas not acceptable.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Simonphoto background.jpg (849.0 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Moffat Road; 02-13-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Moffat Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Submit, and follow with appeal if need be.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Submit, and follow with appeal if need be.
And be prepared to have it rejected, which is a travesty.

I'd be proud to have one like it in my collection.

Loyd L.
__________________
What used to be is no more

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalam View Post
Its a nice photo. Similar to this.
If RP ran the Judicial System, precedents would not apply.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #20
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,986
Default

While I do love the broader Nat'l Geo appeal, what bothers me is that the boy's foot is cut off.

When composing, what you cut out is as important as what you leave in.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
..........[W]hat bothers me is that the boy's foot is cut off.
Oh, poor boy.

That must have been painful.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,902
Default

Image © Daniel SIMON
PhotoID: 425090
Photograph © Daniel SIMON


Not sure what worked here -- the appeal system, the forums or just common sense from the screeners or admins. Whatever it was, very cool to see it in the database!
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #23
lalam
Senior Member
 
lalam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 177
Default

Glad to see this one in.
***deleted link for duplication***
lalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
Daniel SIMON
Senior Member
 
Daniel SIMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Image © Daniel SIMON
PhotoID: 425090
Photograph © Daniel SIMON


Not sure what worked here -- the appeal system, the forums or just common sense from the screeners or admins. Whatever it was, very cool to see it in the database!
Joe, a very simple appeal worked in this case. I am glad the shot has been finally been accepted to the database. Many thanks to all of you for your support.

Daniel
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #25
Mark T
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Image © Roni Kappel
PhotoID: 391569
Photograph © Roni Kappel


I am surprised this photo is in the DB.

While I like the shot, the faces of the men are really dark (and not because of their nationality).

This could have used a flash to contrast their faces against the background, or selective lightening of their faces.
Too be honest that photo has always troubled me! Its a great composition and I think the faces are fine (some Indians - often Tamils really are that dark) but the photo as a whole is underexposed.

Plus whenever I submit photos taken on the roof of indian trains I always get a PEQ based on it being unsafe or something......
__________________
My Railpictures.net

My flickr
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.