Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
PPPPPP42

Lightbulb This site needs a "why was this rejected?" forum.

I'm really rather new here but I'm noticing that this particular forum which is apparently supposed to be discussing railroad photography and techniques in general is running an over 50% rate of people starting threads asking why (or griping about) their pictures being rejected. I think it would be a much better use of space to make a separate forum for that and keep this one for discussing the rest of rail photography, (still a tad generic but we aren't exactly drowning in traffic here).

For all those that are getting rejected and getting a bit sore about it, just remember these people are positively drowning in photos if they didn't reject bucket loads they would end up with the same mess as railroad picture archives.net where there are 47 really crappy shots of every individual locomotive on the planet (bit of an exaggeration but many of them have WAY too many identical pics). Plus its not an unbiased national competition, its whatever they feel like liking (somehow that seems like bad grammar there).
No offense to RR pic archives BTW, incredibly useful site.

And a gratuitous pic for reading my post. (hopefully the link works)
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/m...cture46003.jpg
I took it myself and it is scanned from B&W film with no editing in any stage (I can't wait to make a huge print in the darkroom). I can already see why it will get rejected here so I won't ever submit it, but I thought it was nifty as hell and that's what counts. The thing I like most is the oddly surreal look to it, kinda like B&W HDR, mostly because the paint on the nose of the Zephyr has faded almost to sky blue metallic which looks super funky in B&W.

I was there for the move as planned, got to see the train run and get hoisted onto trailers, an F7 has the sexiest purr in the world as far as I'm concerned, nothing like the thunder a new engine makes, and 787 sounded like it runs perfect. Didn't take much in the way of pics though as it started to feel like a funeral march and I got depressed and decided I like the old pics I took of it better.

Sorry for the free ranging topic there.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 07-16-2012 at 11:40 PM.
PPPPPP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Dennis A. Livesey

If only there was a arty-odd category at RP; it would be a shoo-in!

I like it and the effort; but don't love it. But keep on keeping on with it.

Remember I like this one I took:

[IMG]3025 Silhouette[/IMG]

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
magicman_841

That looks slightly unlevel.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

Loookks purrfec'hicly leval to meee.........hic!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Loookks purrfec'hicly leval to meee.........hic!
Oh, it's level all right. My wine has nothing on whatever swill you slug down!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg plume.jpg (242.2 KB, 605 views)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPPPPP42 View Post
I'm really rather new here but I'm noticing that this particular forum which is apparently supposed to be discussing railroad photography and techniques in general is running an over 50% rate of people starting threads asking why (or griping about) their pictures being rejected. I think it would be a much better use of space to make a separate forum for that and keep this one for discussing the rest of rail photography, (still a tad generic but we aren't exactly drowning in traffic here).

For all those that are getting rejected and getting a bit sore about it, just remember these people are positively drowning in photos if they didn't reject bucket loads they would end up with the same mess as railroad picture archives.net where there are 47 really crappy shots of every individual locomotive on the planet (bit of an exaggeration but many of them have WAY too many identical pics). Plus its not an unbiased national competition, its whatever they feel like liking (somehow that seems like bad grammar there).

I took it myself and it is scanned from B&W film with no editing in any stage (I can't wait to make a huge print in the darkroom). I can already see why it will get rejected here so I won't ever submit it, but I thought it was nifty as hell and that's what counts. The thing I like most is the oddly surreal look to it, kinda like B&W HDR, mostly because the paint on the nose of the Zephyr has faded almost to sky blue metallic which looks super funky in B&W.

I was there for the move as planned, got to see the train run and get hoisted onto trailers, an F7 has the sexiest purr in the world as far as I'm concerned, nothing like the thunder a new engine makes, and 787 sounded like it runs perfect. Didn't take much in the way of pics though as it started to feel like a funeral march and I got depressed and decided I like the old pics I took of it better.

Let me get this straight, you say your new to the forums, and there should be a separate forum site for people to discuss why their photos got rejected on a forum site that is for Discussing railroad photography techniques, equipment requirements, etc. Then determine that RP is drowning in photos some how,and then go on and on about an F7 that got moved and has the sexiest purr....
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Pork Chop - Want a Cookie?

Quote:
................ I think it would be a much better use of space to make a separate forum for that and keep this one for discussing the rest of rail photography, (still a tad generic but we aren't exactly drowning in traffic here)............................
No, they don't need another forum, or another section.

The status quo seems to work just fine.

If you don't want to read the gripes, don't open the thread.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #8
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Oh, it's level all right. My wine has nothing on whatever swill you slug down!

I am finally at one with steam!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

You are Steam Punk personified.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I do like the shot in the OP. would never get accepted here though.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Heymon

In the email they send you when a photo has been screened, they tell you to come to the forums to suss it out. So I think this forum is being used precisely as intended. Also, I learn from other people's rejects, so I think the discussion is appropriate and quite useful. And yeah, you can opt out of any thread at any point with no penalty.

BTW, do any of you think to wonder what it was like before the internet and how long it would take to amass the knowledge contained in just one page of threads on this forum? You'd have to take a class and sit around and discuss it, etc. and you would have to meet your criticizers face to face. I'm not sure I'd want to do that...

Andre
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking The Old Way Had Advantages Too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
......... You'd have to take a class and sit around and discuss it, etc. and you would have to meet your criticizers face to face.
Oh, but there is a distinct up side to this that some of the more senor members of the community might remember.........

And that is if you got tired of listening to some jack off complain about inane crap, you could just get up and kick their ass.

Right Pork Chop?

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 07-18-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Mgoldman

I agree - there are more then enough rejected image discussions scattered among the forum that an exclusive thread would make a lot of sense. Wouldn't cost anything other then the initial time to set it up.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #14
IHapsias

Quote:

What a waste of a post.

Last edited by IHapsias; 07-22-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #15
Dennis A. Livesey

Any post with my shot and my face is not a waste!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 07-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #16
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Let me get this straight, you say your new to the forums, and there should be a separate forum site for people to discuss why their photos got rejected on a forum site that is for Discussing railroad photography techniques, equipment requirements, etc. Then determine that RP is drowning in photos some how,and then go on and on about an F7 that got moved and has the sexiest purr....
Six total posts and five of them were on the same day. This thread isn't even worth a legitimate response.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I agree - there are more then enough rejected image discussions scattered among the forum that an exclusive thread would make a lot of sense. Wouldn't cost anything other then the initial time to set it up.
How much time does it take to set up an exclusive thread?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote