Old 06-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
Mike Hughes

Smile I really need to know what I'm doing wrong

I've not done much railway photography recently - just trying to learn how to use the camera and post production software.

Anyway I've plucked up the courage to try again and got this result
Photo Submission Results:

Photo ID 692164 was rejected from the database.
Railroad: Southern Railway
Locomotive: EMU

Reason(s) for Rejection:

- Bad Contrast: The image suffers from either too much or too little contrast.
- Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image.
- Undersharpened (Soft)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1091552364
Appeal Rejection: http://www.railpictures.net/members/....php?id=692164

I can see the contrast problem (it was only just starting to get light and I took the shot with a long exposue on AV setting). What do think about the cropping? Are they saying that the power station chimneys in the background is not good composition or what am I missng?

Undersharpened. I'm consciuos of oversharpening the picture in the past.How much more should this shot be sharpened?

Finally, ignoring the reasons for rejection do you think that this location with more trains would be something that would be of interest?

There's so much to learn and so little time.

If anyone would like to provide technical comment on my general (model) railway photos I'd appreciate it. They're at mikehughes627.fotopic.net I like to think that I'm getting better but any help, hints or tips are very welcome. I *will* get a photo into RP one day
Mike Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hughes View Post
I've not done much railway photography recently - just trying to learn how to use the camera and post production software. .

I can see the contrast problem (it was only just starting to get light and I took the shot with a long exposue on AV setting). What do think about the cropping? Are they saying that the power station chimneys in the background is not good composition or what am I missng?

Undersharpened. I'm consciuos of oversharpening the picture in the past.How much more should this shot be sharpened?

Finally, ignoring the reasons for rejection do you think that this location with more trains would be something that would be of interest?

There's so much to learn and so little time.

If anyone would like to provide technical comment on my general (model) railway photos I'd appreciate it. They're at mikehughes627.fotopic.net I like to think that I'm getting better but any help, hints or tips are very welcome. I *will* get a photo into RP one day
Hi Mike

I think there is every chance of getting something in to RP from this location.

Cropping - I'd try something a little tighter if the image quality can handle it (and as you're shooting with a DSLR it probably can) - maybe lose everything right of the left hand support of the signal gantry and cut it off vertically a little below that. RP likes photos to strictly follow the rule of thirds.

If there were other trains on the foreground tracks, that would work as well especially if you can get them a third of the way in from either edge and a third of the way up from the bottom.

You do appear to have several dust spots on your camera sensor so it needs cleaning or the spots cloning out of the finished picture.

All you need now is a floating plastic pig to complete the scene

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Mike Hughes

You do appear to have several dust spots on your camera sensor so it needs cleaning or the spots cloning out of the finished picture.

Thanks for the prompy reply.

I can see the spots on the picture but assumed that they were on the lens rather than the sensor. I have a Canon 400D which automatically cleans the sensor. Is there a manual way of doing this? (I am a complete idiot when it comes to this sort of thing!)

As for the floating pig, I usually have at least one Pink Floyd track on during my night shift (I drive a London taxi - hence the reason I can get to various railway locations relatively easily)
Old 06-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Mike Hughes

I've made some adjustments based on your comments. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victoria 3.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	791.4 KB
ID:	4153  
Old 06-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Nice attempt. However, at a minimum they would nail you with "Sensor Dust" and "Poor Image Quality". The red channel needs taken back some.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Mike Hughes

Poor image I can understand, but how can I remove sensor dust if the automatic cleaner isn't doing it properly?

As I said, I'm s total dunce so any help is very welcome.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
TheRoadForeman
Banned

I'm not the best with Photoshop myself, mostly since I don't use it. Ween or Janusz (JRMDC) or even Jim Thias could help you along with your post processing better than I. Even tho your camera has a dust cleaning mode, it will still get in and requires a wet cleaning of the sensor.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Ween

What software are you using to process the shot?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Poor image I can understand, but how can I remove sensor dust if the automatic cleaner isn't doing it properly?

As I said, I'm s total dunce so any help is very welcome.
Clone tool in photoshop or whatever program you're using to process.

From what I've heard, that "automatic cleaner" isn't 100%. The sensor vibrates, correct? If so, all the vibration in the world couldn't shake off a speck of dust that is stuck to the sensor. You're going to need to use a swab and cleaner and physically wipe it clean if the auto-cleaner isn't doing the job. It's kind of like going to a "touchless" carwash. Yeah, it may look clean from a distance, but to remove the tough stains you're actually going to need to use friction (ie: a cloth) to get the surface 100% clean.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 06-02-2009 at 11:11 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post
That would be tripping, man.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
From what I've heard, that "automatic cleaner" isn't 100%. The sensor vibrates, correct? If so, all the vibration in the world couldn't shake off a speck of dust that is stuck to the sensor. You're going to need to use a swab and cleaner and physically wipe it clean if the auto-cleaner isn't doing the job. It's kind of like going to a "touchless" carwash. Yeah, it may look clean from a distance, but to remove the tough stains you're actually going to need to use friction (ie: a cloth) to get the surface 100% clean.
I'd watch out listening to sensor cleaning advice from Jim...I understand he uses the ShamWow to clean his sensor!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #12
Mike Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
What software are you using to process the shot?
Digital Photo Professional which came with the Canon camera.

I have Photoshop but really don't know how to use it. Anyone suggest any (preferably on line) books suitable for a complete newbie like me?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

I rarely use PS nowadays; too complicated.

I use Aperture for 90% of my processing and it's an intuitive breeze.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 AM   #14
NYSubway18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I rarely use PS nowadays; too complicated.

I use Aperture for 90% of my processing and it's an intuitive breeze.
Same here. And as much as I already knew that, when I read about people converting their files to TIFF to work on then to jpeg to post, I thank the Mac gods for Aperture even more. I only work directly on the RAW files and then just export to whatever format/size I want. What a difference!
NYSubway18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 AM   #15
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSubway18 View Post
Same here. And as much as I already knew that, when I read about people converting their files to TIFF to work on then to jpeg to post, I thank the Mac gods for Aperture even more. I only work directly on the RAW files and then just export to whatever format/size I want. What a difference!
Yeah, um, you can keep thanking your Mac gods, but you can work on the RAW files in Photoshop without converting, so you may be worshipping false gods...
Old 06-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #16
NYSubway18

You cannot compare working on a set of photos in Aperture to working on a set of photos in Photoshop. If you try, then you've never used Aperture. I was a professional graphics artist for years using Photoshop, and also used to use it for my photography. I've been a full time video editor for many years now so rarely have to use it for work, and am very glad I don't have to do that insane workflow for my hobby anymore either.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 AM   #17
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Chris, I meant to post earlier:

(PssssT! There are lots of PC guys here. They can be very touchy.)

I have been stating here for a couple of years that Aperture (or Lightroom) is a fantastic workflow but no one else I can recall has wanted to talk about it.

You are the only one I know for sure that uses Aperture on RP. (Or Lightroom for that matter)

Guys, prove me wrong!

I glad you have the professional background to buttress you statement.

I don't know the other workflows. I just know Aperture blows away the old way I worked with PS.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 06-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #18
NYSubway18

Yeah, I noticed that on another thread when I made a passing comment about being on a Mac. LOL! Actually I still have both, but rarely use my PC at home anymore. My Avid at work is a PC, but that was a co. choice.

Don't get me wrong, I love Photoshop. It is a great program, and one I enjoy using to this day. I am currently running CS3. It just doesn't compare to Aperture for professional and amateur photographers alike. The way it handles your library, and the specific tools it offers at your fingertips is not even something that can be discussed once you have used both.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:54 AM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I have been stating here for a couple of years that Aperture (or Lightroom) is a fantastic workflow but no one else I can recall has wanted to talk about it.
I'd happily talk about it but I just haven't seen the justification to get it given my volume. It looks like really nice software, albeit pricey for a hobbyist. Down the road when I eventually upgrade my camera body and am forced to buy new processing software, I will seriously consider Lightroom.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #20
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSubway18 View Post
You cannot compare working on a set of photos in Aperture to working on a set of photos in Photoshop. If you try, then you've never used Aperture. I was a professional graphics artist for years using Photoshop, and also used to use it for my photography. I've been a full time video editor for many years now so rarely have to use it for work, and am very glad I don't have to do that insane workflow for my hobby anymore either.
I'm happy for your background, really, but it's irrelevant in response to my PS statement. I was responding to this quote:

Quote:
when I read about people converting their files to TIFF to work on then to jpeg to post
I was simply saying you can process RAW in PS and you don't have to convert to TIF first and then save as JPEG. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #21
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I'm sad that I'm far too late to pitch in with a Pink Floyd reference =(
One of my favorite albums, though.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #22
Wizzo

Quote:
Digital Photo Professional which came with the Canon camera.

I have Photoshop but really don't know how to use it. Anyone suggest any (preferably on line) books suitable for a complete newbie like me?
Books - I've not got one, but I see there is a Photoshop for Dummies book available - might be a good start (if its not for your version don't panic, most of the main features of PS haven't changed much over the years. I use PS 7, which is WAAAAY out of date, but most of the instructions I find still apply, or near enough). I learnt all I know about Photoshop from the good folks on this forum, or by Googling for Photoshop tutorials - there are many online if you search.

If you're not confident about cleaning your camera sensor (and I would think twice before doing it myself), take it to a good camera shop and ask them to do it - then if they scratch the sensor you've got some comeback !!

Your crop - looks better, but I'd crop tighter still or even better, go back and shoot it with some trains in the foreground - you could also use a slower shutter speed and deliberately blur them to get an arty look as well.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #23
Mike Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post
If you're not confident about cleaning your camera sensor (and I would think twice before doing it myself), take it to a good camera shop and ask them to do it - then if they scratch the sensor you've got some comeback !!

Your crop - looks better, but I'd crop tighter still or even better, go back and shoot it with some trains in the foreground - you could also use a slower shutter speed and deliberately blur them to get an arty look as well.
I'll certainly take yor advice about the cleaning, especially as I'm off to Canada in two weeks time and hope to get some photos out there.

As for the original photo I may well try again, but later in the morning, and with a 100-400 Canon lens (new to me) to bring it all in closer. I'll also try the deliberately blurred look.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, please keep it coming