Old 05-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
willig

Default I'm starting to lose interest

I've had so many rejects lately for bad cropping and here's another.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=945176944

I know about the rule of thirds that the site sems to slavishly stick to, but what can I do here? I also can't see the unlevel. The train is going downhill.

I am getting a bit bored with this lark and starting to lose my interest in the site. I'm trying to improve my photography by learning from my rejections, but I don't seem to be making headway.

I have a life and can't spend hours and hours reworking shots.

Cheer me up someone!

Last edited by willig; 05-13-2009 at 04:07 PM.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Ween

The train may be going downhill, but everything else is leaning to the left (trees, power poles, etc.).
Old 05-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
The train may be going downhill, but everything else is leaning to the left (trees, power poles, etc.).
I agree on the slight leftward lean - as to the cropping I'd lose some off the top and left sides (since the sky & powerlines don't add much but the foreground is interesting).

Good luck,
Michael

As to the site, like anything one can get "burned out" - especially when it can be a challenge to accomplish what you want. Perhaps a short break either from submitting or all together and then coming back after a while with "fresh" eyes could help? Sometimes I need to "reset" my perception or adjust my perspective (and remind myself I'm doing this for the enjoyment and challenge of the hobby). But definitely come back fresh and keep contributing!

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
willig

Here's another.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=683778&key=0

It looks like my cropping skills do not match RP's requirements.

I do not see the lean to the left on the original one. The wind turbines on the left distant hill are vertical.

I think maybe me and the screeners need a break from each other .................
Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig View Post
I have a life and can't spend hours and hours reworking shots.
Snap out of and stop throwing yourself a pity party. No one cares. We all have lives outside this hobby that are more important than the hobby itself. If you need a break from it, take a break. But stop with the "Whew is me crap." Save it for teenage girls in a mall somewhere.

I'm sure if we listed all of our rejects lately, I would have more than you. And some guys who come to this site never get a shot on. Lighten up, dude. It's all fun.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
willig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Snap out of and stop throwing yourself a pity party. No one cares. We all have lives outside this hobby that are more important than the hobby itself. If you need a break from it, take a break. But stop with the "Whew is me crap." Save it for teenage girls in a mall somewhere.

I'm sure if we listed all of our rejects lately, I would have more than you. And some guys who come to this site never get a shot on. Lighten up, dude. It's all fun.
Thanks Joe for your "support". If that's the best effort at cheering me up, then I'm off.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
JRMDC

1) focus more on the successes, less on the rejects - take a better attitude. A reminder of what you do:
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 252973
Photograph © Graham Williams
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 247603
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 218234

2) stop whining - saying "my cropping skills do not match RP's requirements" is quite an odd thing for someone with 667 shots accepted to say. More than odd, downright silly.

3) the first shot - yes, there may be a better crop, frankly I'm not sure. The more important issue to me is that the image is rather a bore, regardless of the cropping. A great engine, presented poorly. The foreground water doesn't do much, the powerline detracts, the rest is dull. You have done and will again do much, much better. Why the angst on this one?

4) the second shot is a poorly done shot of a lock - little sense of the mechanism, rather dull view of the bridge with little sense of "crossing over" - with a tiny little train in the back. If you are going to do a scene with a tiny train, the scene without the train should stand alone pretty well - in the sense that the train may complete the scene but need not be the scene. This one does not. It is an uninteresting scene. Go back and do better, or choose another location.

5) You talk about improving your photography from the rejections. Remember that RP is not the be-all end-all of photography. If they reject and you like what you have done, move along. You have taken enough shots that you can exercise your own judgment and not be tied to RP's. Shoot what you want, by your own creative impulses, submit those to RP you think RP might be interested in, adjust according to RP rejection feedback WHERE WARRANTED according to your own view of what you want the shot to be. Treat RP feedback as assistance, as an opinion, not a dictum.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

If you need some strangers on a photography board to "cheer you up" and plead for yoou not to "lose interest," then I suspect you've come to the wrong place. Certainly the wrong time. We all get frustrated over rejects. I did over the past few days. I brought them here and no one lined up behind me with fists clenched in the air. They told me what they thoughht of the shots and, mostly, they agreed wiith the screeners. That's fine. Life goes on. There are other web stes I can share my work and in a few of the cases, I'll go back to the shots and rework them. You can either decide to do the same, to leave the site altogether or any number of things. But my main suggestion is that you grow a set and not let this web site or anyone on it get to you like you seem to.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
jnohallman

Quote:
But my main suggestion is that you grow a set . . . .
Have we finally found a worthy successor to Mike Banned?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Wizzo

Graham - you've got some really good shots on this site, but neither of those rejected ones were anywhere near your best.

The Black 5 needs to be more off centre. I think I would have taken it earlier with it more to the right, zoomed in a bit to avoid the ugly pylons and to accentuate the hills on the horizon.

The lock shot unfortunately doesn't work, the train is too far away and the lock doesn't provide the focus of interest enough in the foreground. I had a similar experience trying to incorporate locks on the Kennet and Avon canal into shots, and they are immediately adjacent to the line !!

Just remember. Nil illegitimi carborundum

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Not trying to be a Mike B. wannabe and if I've gone too far, I'll sit down and shut up. But it irritates me when folks come here playing the pity party about a photography site. If you guys want to hear some serious trouble, let me tell you what happens if my unemployment runs out. Or let me try to explain how my wife and I are having to stretch our funds to make my car payment this month. I can point you guys to many other folks in my shoes if you'd like. So forgive me if I don't coddle someone who gets pissed when sub par shots don't magically appear in the database.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post
Just remember. Nil illegitimi carborundum
Interesting phrase!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegitimi_non_carborundum

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It usually raises a

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
willig

Quote:
If you guys want to hear some serious trouble, let me tell you what happens if my unemployment runs out. Or let me try to explain how my wife and I are having to stretch our funds to make my car payment this month. I can point you guys to many other folks in my shoes if you'd like. So forgive me if I don't coddle someone who gets pissed when sub par shots don't magically appear in the database.
Who's making more of this than necessary, me or you?

As I recall, I did include you in my thoughts and prayers....

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=8755
Old 05-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

Fine. I give up.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #16
Joe the Photog

Post deleted.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 05-13-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Graham,

As mentioned, you do have some very nice photography on the site. I don't think anyone can deny that. The fact is, however, that we look for certain criteria in regards to cropping and composition, and this shot (http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=740799349) doesn't meet them. It's very, very unbalanced in the way you've presented it.

As I said in the "Comments to Photographer" field in response to your ultimatum when you uploaded this shot, we aren't going to bend the rules simply because your composition/cropping tastes and ours disagree. That would be unfair to all of the other photographers who contribute. If that means you ceasing to contribute to the site anymore, then that's just the way it is.

You also stated that one of your biggest peeves is that we don't provide more detailed advice on how to correct rejected photos. We screen, on average, more than 500 shots daily, so this is obviously impossible. We have tried to fine tune the rejection "reasons" over the years to make them as clear as possible, but there is no way we can take the time to write something like "Bad Cropping: locomotive needs to be positioned lower in the frame" on a shot like that, nor could we take the time to tell people which way and by how many 10ths of a degree their shot is unlevel, etc. etc. Do print publications send a personalized letter when they reject a submitted photo telling you exactly what they didn't like about it? No... in fact, they don't even normally give a response.

Bottom line, though, is that this is a hobby, and if you aren't enjoying submitting to the site anymore, nobody is forcing you. I can tell you, flatly, however that nobody from this site administration is going to beg you to stay, or make any attempt to make you "feel better." The decision to leave is yours, not ours.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #18
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Graham, you have some absolutely fantastic shots. My advice if you're no longer 'feeling the spark' is to have a break and then come back refreshed. Personally, I've had many disagreements with the RailPictures Team with regard to rejections over five years and hurled abuse in appeals. It did not do me any good. At the moment, I am taking a bit of a break from the railway scene, unless there's something special because here in south-east Queensland, it is "same shit, different day."

If you take nothing else away from this post, always remember that there's more to life than RailPictures and a break may do you the world of good.

I'm sure there's a certain group of people from another online community who will later use the above quote against me, but that's another story!

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
jdirelan87

Quote:
Who's making more of this than necessary, me or you?

As I recall, I did include you in my thoughts and prayers....

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=8755
BINGO. If we want to have a conversation about inappropriate threads for a railroad photography website, lets go to the source.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #20
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
BINGO. If we want to have a conversation about inappropriate threads for a railroad photography website, lets go to the source.
That was in the Off Topic Forum which includes this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Off Topic Forum description
Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!
So Joe Blue gets a pass. Besides, needing to get cheered up because you're burned out and getting rejections on RP doesn't hold a candle to losing your job. Just sayin'...
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #21
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:
Not trying to be a Mike B. wannabe and if I've gone too far, I'll sit down and shut up. But it irritates me when folks come here playing the pity party about a photography site. If you guys want to hear some serious trouble, let me tell you what happens if my unemployment runs out. Or let me try to explain how my wife and I are having to stretch our funds to make my car payment this month. I can point you guys to many other folks in my shoes if you'd like. So forgive me if I don't coddle someone who gets pissed when sub par shots don't magically appear in the database.
Joe, I had the same problem after I got out of the Marine Corpse during the Carter-Reagan years. It got to the point that I couldn't stand seeing a dumb cleaning lady (my girlfriend at the time) start a cleaning business by passing out business cards and advertising in the local classifieds. She eventually had to hire more people to handle the amount of response, and started making a ton of money.

I did something similar marketing the skills I had. The only difference is that you have many more bosses (customers) to work for. Eventually, you pick who you want to work for, leaving only the good bosses. It's better than doing nothing and it works. Just get motivated. Working for yourself also means you get to keep the profits, instead of your boss.

Selling your nice photos framed at train shows also generates income. Just watch your expenses and your balance sheet.

Chris
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:27 AM   #22
Bryan Jones

Quote:
Thanks Joe for your "support". If that's the best effort at cheering me up, then I'm off.
Its nobody's job here to cheer you up because you keep getting your photos rejected. I've had plenty of rejections but life goes on, the same goes for plenty of others here. If you are taking photos just to get them posted on this website then you are in this hobby for the wrong reason. Railpictures.net is not the end all be all of railroad photography.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #23
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
I've had so many rejects lately for bad cropping and here's another.

Cheer me up someone!
I like your shots and hope your back posting soon. Everyones getting hit hard with rejected photo's that why the back lash. 20% maybe getting in now days so if you're getting in 1/3 of your shots your doing well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:03 AM   #24
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I honestly can't believe the amount of negative bullshit that has been posted in this thread. I thought that only the wankers of Wheels on Steel carried on like this.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:06 AM   #25
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
I like your shots and hope your back posting soon. Everyones getting hit hard with rejected photo's that why the back lash. 20% maybe getting in now days so if you're getting in 1/3 of your shots your doing well.
The dropping acceptance ratio has much more to do with the fact that many newer contributors are finding the site and "diving right in" than used to be the case. There definitely hasn't been any concerted effort amongst the crew to raise standards, and I can say without question that I haven't changed mine personally.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote