Old 07-14-2006, 01:27 AM   #1
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default Bad Cropping/Angle

I need either suggestions on if it is possible to make this photo acceptable, or advice on how I can improve the general composition better next time I head out there.
The shot was first rejected for bad cropping.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=267212
So I recropped it closer to the power lines and it was rejected for bad angle.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=267234
Unfortunately, this was the only good(well at least RP wise) shot I got because the sun would only go behind the clouds when the a train was visible and I had set up my shot.
Thanks!

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:11 AM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

It was probably because "its just a bunch of poles and powerlines" that it was rejected. I must say though this is a very creative shot. I'm glad to see someone thinking outside the box of just standing next to the tracks and shooting the same angle over and over and over. There is probably nothing you can do to get this shot or angle accepted but I think this was an EXCELLENT try to stay away from the boring typical shots most would have gone with. Don't get frustrated (I know you're not but I'm just saying) and ggive in to shooting the dreaded (by most) 3/4 angle if your creative shots keep getting rejected. It's very "refreshing" to see someone thinking about their shots instead of picking up the camera and getting a snapshot. Nice work, too bad this one didn't make the grade. I really am looking forward to seeing more.

Try to find railroad related props to try to make it on railpictures.net, but keep trying new things like this when thats not available.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
a231pacific

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." I'd say this was creative use of that idea, but since the screeners don't agree, there isn't much you can do other than appeal and hope that Chris, who makes interesting use of non RR scenic elements himself, is thinking outside the box that day!

I realize that power poles are hated by most rail fans and when they are growing out of the locomotive or a tangled mess in the background they should deservedly be rejected, but this one makes creative use of the power lines.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

mike, honestly if your pic was accepted to the database i would nominate it.its really avery creative shot.and i like the idea that you include some other objects that all of us see it daily in your shot.and as the shot wasnot accpeted in rp.net thats not meaning that its bad.its just donot meet one or two standards of the website.but IMO it meets all my standards .
just appeal it and explain your point of view and i hope that it will be accepted.
keep up the great work mike.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

I certainly admire your motives by trying to do something different.

However, the powerlines are just too dominant in the photo. It's hard for me to view the photo and look at the train without having the towers distract me from it.

Just try to keep in mind that the subject (train) should be the major player in the photo, the power lines should form a nice compliment to the overall image.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:36 AM   #6
ericb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17

Just try to keep in mind that the subject (train) should be the major player in the photo, the power lines should form a nice compliment to the overall image.

Sean
Huh? Spoken like a true railfan.

Anyway, great concept. Love the composition...
ericb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:29 AM   #7
photogeek88

Send a message via AIM to photogeek88
Smile

I agree with the others, that is a cool shot. The way I was taught, from a photojournalistic point of view, is that the surroundings really can make the shot.
So lately I've been chugging away with the same old, same old, 3/4 shot. It's a safe bet to get pictures on this site, as sad as it may be to admit. I found it funny, because I came on the forums looking for help on a "bad angle" shot as well. I'd gotten a couple wedgies on this morning, and thought it be a good time to try one of my 'creative' shots. Lo and behold, it got accepted on the first try, a stunning move to me! http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=151316
One of the next attempts, a good ol' 3/4 wedgie, got knocked for bad angle! http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=268096
It goes to show, this isn't just photography, this is a mental game of Stratego we're all playing here on railpictures.net! You gotta love it...
photogeek88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:11 AM   #8
Slopes09

Thanks for all the good comments guys! Unfortunately, it got rejected on appeal. I'll probably head back to that spot in the next week or two, since its a cool spot, and this was only the first time I'd been there. It was a shame that the sun kept going behind the clouds, since there was some unusual power that day. There was a Quebec, North Shore, & Labrador unit and the Argonne local ran long hood forward back to Hodgkins that day.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb
I'm going to judge that comment was spoken in jest.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb

Anyway, great concept. Love the composition...
Is this not a site for railpictures? Scenery should add to a shot, yes, but it should not detract from it. That is what has happened in this picture.

Why don't you save your infantile sarcasm for someplace else.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #11
a231pacific

I liked the shot, but the power poles are very dominant. You had to take the photo with the engines back a bit to fit between the small trees/large bushes along the track.

Here's my suggestion, take a folding saw and remove the bushes, then shoot the train later, so the engines will be larger. Crop more of the wires out and it will still be an unusual shot, but it might be more to the tastes of the screeners.

Here's a quick and dirty photo shop simulation of how it might look.

bnsf_5089.jpg bnsf_5089.jpg (87.3 KB)

Michael
Old 07-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #12
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Or he could have simply tried moving a wee bit closer to the tracks and changing the angle from which he was shooting. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #13
a231pacific

Yes, but I couldn't do that in photo shop!
Old 07-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
Yes, but I couldn't do that in photo shop!
Aye, I know.

Basically I was just giving slopes the advice to try the shot again at the location from a different angle.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:17 AM   #15
Slopes09

Thanks for the advice Michael, that looks a lot better. Oh, and I'd try the saw, but I don't think my parents would let me borrow it, plus this location can only be reached by a 2.5 mile bike ride.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:57 AM   #16
bnsf sammy

Which ever way I look at it, the photo quality of the train itself is not the best.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:48 AM   #17
a231pacific

After traveling with a bunch of British railfans, who always do some basic "gardening" along the ROW, I realized what a difference it makes when you can remove a few offending bushes. I bought a small folding saw from Home Depot with a 9" blade which folds into the handle, sort of like a big jack knife. It fits in my camera bag with no problem.

I don't cut stuff on private property, but for bushes up on the roadbed or saplings growing in the drainage ditches I figure I'm actually doing the RR a favor!

On a CPR steam charter, we had a freeloader stand in front of the photo line and refuse to move, so one of our group cut a small pine tree and "planted" it right behind him, so we all have a pine tree in the foreground, not a person! Folding saws come in real handy at times!