Old 06-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
Mgoldman

Default Tap, tap, tap... is this thing on?

I don't get it...

Image © Walter Scriptunas II - www.scriptunasimages.com
PhotoID: 438096
Photograph © Walter Scriptunas II - www.scriptunasimages.com

Hello? First full color sunny day perfect shot of
steam over Horseshoe Curve. I renewed my
membership to FWRHS in support of such events
and then followed with "payment" in the form of
comments to many RP'rs for their efforts and
goodwill in sharing their results via RP.

1 comment in 24 hours?

I'm sure Walt had to miss a few rocket launches
and jet fighter rides (lol) to catch #765 and then
worse - deal with the screeners (lol, again) to
get his images into the database.

Talking to Walt - I hear he has quite a backlog
of images. Wanna see more? Go to Flicker...
OR, take the 14 seconds it takes to leave a
comment!

If it's wrecks and diesels you like, please disregard
this message, but I know for a fact that there are
fans of NKP #765 and more to the point, of Walter's
work out there in RP land! Get rolling!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
wds

Wait a while Mitch, right now we're all still suffering from 765 overkill!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
troy12n
Banned

I guess NS cops dont hassle and arrest people up there anymore?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Not at all exited about that excursion, or engine.

Sorry, must be a Westcoast thing.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Not at all exited about that excursion, or engine.

Sorry, must be a Westcoast thing.
I miss the good old days when steam excursions didnt have 9000 Horsepower worth of diesels behind them.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #6
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I miss the good old days when steam excursions didnt have 9000 Horsepower worth of diesels behind them.

I don't mind that so much, it is just a railroad I have no feelings about in a far away part of the country.

I just don't have any love for it.

Just like the NS heritage units.

I would chase one through the desert on a BNSF train, but only because it was different.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
Mgoldman

I hear ya on the "wait a while" but personally, I never hold it over anyone in regards to their timing when it comes to posting. Well, maybe, but it's why so late vs why so many.

As far as I'm concerned - and this is just my own opinion - a good photo is a good photo regardless of when it's posted. And a good job is a good job, period. What was odd about Walter's shot is that it was the ONLY shot from that vantage point - arguably the best, with lighting as good as it's gonna get and with vibrant colors and a blue sky. There are overcast shots with 50 favorites and multiple comments. First is better? Well, maybe in presentation but not necessarily in technique, quality, skill and just plain good luck.

I'm a bit of a purist myself - NKP on PRR? But to be there witness to it all would certainly make a fan of anyone. The stack talk alone - amazing! Diesels - well, I worked a bunch of shots to hide them but it was an event. A very enjoyable event - one which adding the crowds actually enhanced many images.

My main point - my "train of thought" as it were, is that a comment -my opinion - is like payment to the photographer. It's a subscription and comments are the currency. If your not a fan of the "magazine", disregard my appeal "to pay".

/Mitch
Old 06-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
Mgoldman

PS - Regarding NS cops and PA cops - it was quite bizarre in regards to what one might have expected that weekend.

Friendliest folks I've ever met - at least over the weekend, every cop, every security guard - nothing but friendly and accommodating. No problems at the Curve - a spot where 6 is tight, we had probably 50! Including some Amish.

Even normally forbidden areas - I heard stories "Ah, you're not a terrorist - come on in, get your shot".

I would not assume this would be the case now that the event is over.

A side note, however - there were quite a few cops pulling over the speeders - but not as many as I have experienced with UP 844 or Ohio Central Steam chases.

It was like 1950 Leave it to Beaver everyone just have a good time...

/Mitch
Old 06-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Wait a while Mitch, right now we're all still suffering from 765 overkill!
Reminds me of an interview I heard with John Popper of Blues Traveler when someone called in and said he was getting tired of hearing "Runaround" on the radio every hour. Popper said, paraphrased, "Don't blame us that radio keeps playing it. All we did was write and record the song."

Not sure what that has to do with this thread other than to say my #630 shots from March didn't do too well either..... and it was running without diesels!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
bigbassloyd

Good shots fail to get their just due on here all the time. Firsts, Females, and F---ups always win.

I'm shocked Walter could keep up with a steam locomotive moving faster than 11mph.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I don't mind that so much, it is just a railroad I have no feelings about in a far away part of the country.

I just don't have any love for it.

Just like the NS heritage units.

I would chase one through the desert on a BNSF train, but only because it was different.
I'm glad I live where I do. I can appreciate both the NS AND UP heritage units (and BNSF if they ever had them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
What was odd about Walter's shot is that it was the ONLY shot from that vantage point - arguably the best, with lighting as good as it's gonna get and with vibrant colors and a blue sky.
But...it's harsh high sun lighting!!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #12
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
If that's what it takes to even have steam excursions, I'll put up with it. And in this case, I know the dynamic brakes were a big help coming downgrade.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking Diesels

Sometimes you can hide them

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 382759
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

PhotoID: 395867

other times you can't.

PhotoID: 398328
Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
jdirelan87

This is what the favorite button is for. Super generic comment (ie, "great shot," "nailed it," wonderful image!") = favorite button. If I had a dollar for every time I got a comment email just to see a "sweet shot" and feel disappointed.... I would have 150-200 dollars.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
This is what the favorite button is for. Super generic comment (ie, "great shot," "nailed it," wonderful image!") = favorite button. If I had a dollar for every time I got a comment email just to see a "sweet shot" and feel disappointed.... I would have 150-200 dollars.
What about the disappointment of leaving a comment for someone else, forgetting about it, and a couple hours later getting a comment accepted notice in your email and thinking for a second you got a comment?

Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Drew Mitchem

I'm in a sense thinking the same way as Mitch is on this one below, as it was my favorite of the 5 I posted 2 days ago, but has the least amount of views/comments. It's not a steam locomotive, but its a Santa Fe warbonnet 600 series leading a freight in 2013 in a scene that screams southwest. Definitely not as interesting as NKP 765 around Horseshoe Curve, but a rare scene for this late in the game.

Image © Drew Mitchem
PhotoID: 438049
Photograph © Drew Mitchem
Drew Mitchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mitchem View Post
I'm in a sense thinking the same way as Mitch is on this one below, as it was my favorite of the 5 I posted 2 days ago, but has the least amount of views/comments. It's not a steam locomotive, but its a Santa Fe warbonnet 600 series leading a freight in 2013 in a scene that screams southwest. Definitely not as interesting as NKP 765 around Horseshoe Curve, but a rare scene for this late in the game.

Image © Drew Mitchem
PhotoID: 438049
Photograph © Drew Mitchem
The main difference, however, is that no one else had been posting GE C44-9W Santa Fe Warbonnets to rave reviews as your image went less noticed. Nice catch, however - slipped past my radar.

/Mitch
Old 06-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
PS - Regarding NS cops and PA cops - it was quite bizarre in regards to what one might have expected that weekend.

Friendliest folks I've ever met - at least over the weekend, every cop, every security guard - nothing but friendly and accommodating. No problems at the Curve - a spot where 6 is tight, we had probably 50! Including some Amish.

Even normally forbidden areas - I heard stories "Ah, you're not a terrorist - come on in, get your shot".

I would not assume this would be the case now that the event is over.
Yep, after an incident I had up there in 2007, I swore I would never go back. It seemed like immediately after NS took over the cops literally became fascists about trespassing. I am not talking about blatant "Dan Valentine setting up his tripod in the middle of the gauge" type of trespassing, but the just being up on a hill where you might have had to safely cross the ROW at some point to get there type (basically you couldnt go anywhere).

[/quote]A side note, however - there were quite a few cops pulling over the speeders - but not as many as I have experienced with UP 844 or Ohio Central Steam chases.[/quote]

Yep, local PD's and SO's lick their chops when they hear about events like this because they know people will be chasing and they line up every swinging D with a cop car and a radar to line up and pick off the speeders going through their little fiefdom.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I remember excursions when they didn't need no stinkin' diesels.
Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 289960
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 253708

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 288637

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 431099

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #20
MassArt Images

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I'm shocked Walter could keep up with a steam locomotive moving faster than 11mph.

Loyd L.
Good one Loyd. Very dry like a Martini..."Shaken not Stirred"

I am surprised I didn't run into you over the weekend. I went to my very first photo location and dang if I didn't run into Joe Gonzalez, Ryan Lewis, and Matt Thomas. I guess the right bait will attract railfans...LOL. Joe liked my new blue Pentax K-30.

Last edited by MassArt Images; 06-02-2013 at 11:40 PM.
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
Good one Loyd. Very dry like a Martini..."Shaken not Stirred.

I am surprised I didn't run into you over the weekend. I went to my very first photo location and dang if I didn't run into Joe Gonzalez, Ryan Lewis, and Matt Thomas. I guess the right bait will attract railfans...LOL. Joe liked my new blue Pentax K-30.
I have no desire to visit the curve. I will chase 765 many places, just not there.

Joe and the gang are currently on their Summer world tour.

Loyd L.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
As someone who leaves a mix of substantive and perfunctory comments, let me point out that, at least for me, sometimes it takes some mental energy and a few minutes to construct an appropriate comment. If I don't have the energy or time - and especially when popping in to RP during a work break - I will leave the perfunctory comment to nonetheless show my appreciation for a shot. For me, comment >> favorite; it's elevated, superior.

So be grateful, not disappointed, for any comment, and especially from me. Anyone who leaves a comment is inspired enough by the shot to do so, they didn't just make it a click into favorite status.

I don't know the extent to which this approach is universal, I suppose.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #23
KevinM

Comments are nice and most appreciated.

That said, you know you've scored when a successful photographer favorites your shot. The more prolific shooters here do not favorite much. Most of them already have years worth of favorites and aren't looking to clutter that file up any further on a daily basis. Bag a favorite from someone with a several million views here, and you know you've done well.

Getting back to Mitch's original post, I guess I am not surprised at the relatively low view-count on Walter's shot. Yes, it is probably the best curve shot from the recent string of NS excursions, but as someone else indicated previously, we've been 765'd to death lately. Too many chasers.....too many plain old wedgies. Interspersed, there have been a few real gems.

The referenced shot aside, views are down on RP. Site visits may not be, but it is clear as crystal that viewers no longer click like they used to. Shots that used to be good for 500 views in 24 hrs, might get 350-400 now. Shots that were good for 300 or 400 views now do 200-250. It used to be that to make the page with the Top 15, you had to have 400 or 500 views minimum. These days, if you clear 300 views, you're probably there....although there are still days when people are actually looking. I don't know whether the RP audience has become jaded, or whether the overwhelming influx of plain, featureless diesel wedges has just left visitors doing quick thumb-scans vs. actually looking at pictures.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Less Views.

I have made that observation too - views are down.

Before, to make top two of twenty four, an image needed over 1000 views, now it can make top four with less than half that.

Sort of wonder what the deal is, except really exceptional images can still get 5000 views or more for a 24 hour period, which means people are looking at the thumb nails, but not clicking on any particular images - perhaps because many of them look alike.

Although I noticed that NS veterans unit photo got a number of views and I have no idea why.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
bigbassloyd

I've also noticed a distinct drop in views across the board. A couple of mine that made it to TO24 didn't reach the normal views / favorites / comments that I would have expected based on prior history.

Could be that I just suck more of late, but that doesn't explain the others, who have been uploading some gems.

Loyd L.