Old 07-20-2006, 01:21 AM   #1
htgguy

Default Can You Help Me Understand Sharpening?

I had this shot rejected for Undersharpened (Soft):
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=269424
I usually look at the numberboards and pilot area for an indication of how sharp the photo is, this one looked ok but not great to me. What is the best way to correct this in the future? I do think there is something just not quite right about the picture but I can't quite put my finger on it. All suggestions appreciated.

Jim
htgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:27 AM   #2
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

This one might not be salvageable. It looks like its suffereing from heat distortion as well as flare from the lights.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:44 AM   #3
busyEMT

Look at the rails nearest the bottom of the frame. They are soft, and the glint from the headlight is glowing; as is the whistle/mile post sign.

The whole face of the 7153 appears blurry. As VS wrote, this one may not be salvageable.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by htgguy
I had this shot rejected for Undersharpened (Soft):
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=269424
I usually look at the numberboards and pilot area for an indication of how sharp the photo is, this one looked ok but not great to me. What is the best way to correct this in the future? I do think there is something just not quite right about the picture but I can't quite put my finger on it. All suggestions appreciated.

Jim

Seriously, one of your best resources for this type of info, is right in front of you. The internet, a quick Google search turned up hundreds of good articles about sharpening.

In a nutshell, try to think of sharpening as enhancing the definition or "edges" where colors change on a photo. Too much sharpening will leave halos, or strong white undertones to everything, where too little will make the colors blend and blurr. Hence making it hard to pick out the edges of your subject(s).

HTH
Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
alan-crotty

Default Under sharpened

I tried to look at the exposure details of you pic' , focal length, shutter speed etc. but there was no EXIF data. Looks like a fairly long lens, so photographic technique may be the initial problem, long lens, slow shutter, or just a missed focus.

As Sean says, sharpening is mainly edge enhancement, this will cause problems within the image where colours change at a place which is not a true edge. You then get sharpening artifacts, these can be reduced by using the "Threshold" slider in unsharp mask.

I've had a go at reworking your image, sharpened 300% @ 0.6 radius with threshold set to 3. reworked bnsf7153.jpg.71503.jpg

I've also darkened down some of the burnt out highlights so they don't 'glow'

Although a lot of rescue work can be done within an editing package you can't beat getting it right in the camera.

I typed "Sharpening in Photoshop" into Google and got over 700,000 results, there are plenty on online tutorials on this subject so have a look.

Unless this was very rare power or unusual working, I'd forget it and go out and enjoy taking more and better images.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reworked bnsf7153.jpg.71503.jpg (136.9 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by alan-crotty; 07-20-2006 at 08:01 AM. Reason: missed a line out re EXIF data
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

It's hard to fix a soft focus in post processing. Sometimes it's possible, but in the above version, I think the overall shot suffers more from trying to fix the soft focus than from the actual soft focus.

Joe
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 AM   #7
Switched out

I also think it might be suffering from to much JPG compression and/or it might be a crop from a larger photograph.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:21 AM   #8
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

The more I look at the photo it seems as though it's a very long focal point, and it also looks like heat shimmers coming off the rail as the air is cooling. I think that may also be what is causing the distortion, not just a lack of focus.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:42 AM   #9
FLODO

Ant the engine, and select sharpen.

Check out my photos at http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7492

railpictures.net
FLODO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
htgguy

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely just let this one slide. I did notice the huge amount of headlite flare, is there any way to control that in the future? Also, this was taken late in the day on a very hot day. Is there anything I should be doing to deal with the heat shimmer that is showing up in a lot of my shots on these hot evenings, or is that part of the beauty of summer evenings?

Jim
htgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:20 PM   #11
a231pacific

The irony of summer is, the days are longer, we have vacation time and the shooting light is crap!

Put your long lens away on hot days, unless you find a spot where heat shimmer actually will enhance the drama of the shot. Telephoto lenses exagerate heat shimmer.

Get off axis to control headlight flare, either above or to the side. Also, by using a non-tele, you will be a bit more off axis, as the train will be closer to you when you shoot. This might help the lens flare problem. If you are shooting digital, you might try bracketing your shot to underexpose some frames by 1/3 or even 2/3 and then use Photo Shop to lighten everything except the head and ditch lights. Try some different combinations of shutter speed and aperture. You may find that there are some f-stops that give less flare.

Yet another reason for not shooting wedgies!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote