Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #26
Amtrakdavis22

Well here are my top 5:

5. This got my fifth favorite because of the train, light, and location. First off, as most of you know this was from the world famous Keddie Wye Bridge in the Feather River Canyon. This is an intermodal train which don't run via the FRC anymore. On another note, this photo is also in the current issue of trains magazine (Jan. 2011). If you have it handy, check out page 7.

Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 372902
Photograph © Jake Miille

4. This one got number four because of it's location. I finally got to visit the Moffat Tunnel this last summer. I ended up picking the wrong day to go as track and time didn't allow any train to run until late in the afternoon. I got an artsy feel when I took this backlit pic that incorporates the tunnel portal. Definitely a good memory to have as a railfan.

Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 371403
Photograph © Jake Miille

3. This got number three because... well just look at it. It's tough to beat those big scenes up on Donner in the winter. Also, to get this shot, I had to hike through 2-5 feet of snow for over 45 minutes. It was an exhausting adventure but it was definitely worth it.

Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 351724
Photograph © Jake Miille

2. This shot got number two because it's one I've wanted for a long time. During my summer trip, I got the opportunity to railfan the Dotser Cutoff. I was thrilled when this MNYRO came through just as clouds parted and the light became nice. Those massive red rocks make this a unique shot and one that made this summer trip worth while.

Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 371157
Photograph © Jake Miille

1. This shot got number 1 because I've dreamed of it for a long time. When my brother first enrolled at Cal Poly, I had a dream of getting some great shots from the Cuesta Pass just north of San Luis Obispo. Problems with time, amount of trains, and accessibility made it a harder task than I had originally thought. But on February 20th, 2011, I ventured out to the horseshoe curve and snapped this photo of the southbound Coast Starlight. I didn't realize it at the time but this soon became one of my favorite scenes. After taking this shot, I hiked back to my car and got a word from the local rancher who told me I was trespassing on private property. I knew right then I was in the right place and I'm lucky I got this photo. It's turned out to be one of my favorites of all time and I hope to get back out there soon. Hopefully the rancher doesn't mind.

Image © Jake Miille
PhotoID: 355126
Photograph © Jake Miille

Thanks for checking out my top 5. Hopefully my skill level continues to grow and I have an even better 2012! Happy New Year to everyone out there!

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #27
D.Massey

It’s been a slow year for me with work, kids, and the wife wanting me to do stuff around the house. Having responsibilities can suck sometimes. A couple of my favorite shots from 2011 have not been uploaded for one reason or another and my favorite shot uploaded this year is from 2010. So here they are,

5. Taken during Summerail weekend. Gaining roof top access to take pictures of trains, what were they thinking?

Image © Doyle Massey
PhotoID: 372070
Photograph © Doyle Massey

4. The sun has set on the Music City as the engineer starts the pull for a night time trip down the S&NA North sub. They would not get far as the 7542 loses all traction motors and would require a replacement locomotive. At the time I was hoping the 4016 would be lead but now I’m glad the YN2 C40 had the honors.

Image © Doyle Massey
PhotoID: 375262

3. After see AB2’s shot from the previous year I had to try to get it. 3 hours of direct sunlight and a new tar roof on a hot August day had me rethinking this whole roof top thing. Thank goodness the train final showed as I don’t think had much left in me.

Image © Doyle Massey
PhotoID: 372335

2. Chasing the Norfolk Southern F units on a beautiful fall day with great sunlight.

Image © Doyle Massey
PhotoID: 381208

1. Getting to see mainline steam return to the Norfolk Southern. Thanks again NS for bring back some childhood memories.

Image © Doyle Massey
PhotoID: 373960

My favorite shot uploaded this year is this shot from the now closed Kayne Avenue tower taken in early 2010. The tower was closed late this year and its Yard Master Job eliminated.

Image © Doyle Massey
PhotoID: 376777

Thanks for looking

Doyle
D.Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #28
ssw9662

2011 was a pretty interesting year for me. My railfan-related activities hit a wall around August as a result of college and the resulting academic and social obligations (not to mention the lack of a vehicle on campus). In fact, I've hardly even had the time to check the forums anymore. While I uploaded about 45 photos each from 2009 and 2010, this year only saw about 20 from me. That said, I'm generally quite happy with the quality of the stuff that I did post from this year. Without further ado, my top 5 from 2011:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

5) This one isn't going to win any awards, but its historical significance is what makes it one of my favorites. Just after New Year's, myself and a couple of friends ventured out to the Magnolia Cutoff to photograph the B&O color position lights that were on the chopping block. The trip was a success, and I got a number of photos such as this one that will never be duplicated again after these CPLs were finally replaced a few months later.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

4) 2011 brought some color to the CP lines south of Binghamton, so I made a number of trips up there over the course of the year. This photo represents one of the best trains I shot up there; featuring three fallen flag railroads now owned by CP.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

3) I guess I have kind of a soft spot for glint/low light photos. This one was a total grab shot from my aforementioned Magnolia Cutoff trip, and I was definitely happy with the results.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

2) While on my way back from another Scranton trip, I found a Delaware-Lackawanna grain train powered by five of the railroad's Alcos and couldn't resist a chase. Of course, just as the train left we were met with a heavy snowfall and a bunch of motorists who apparently had never driven in snowy conditions before. In spite of this, I was able to come away with at least one good snowfall shot.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

1) My favorite of the year, and probably one of the all-time favorite train photos that I've taken. This is another case of an unplanned photo that went right.

While I expect to be equally short on railfan time in 2012, I'm hoping that what trips I do make are memorable and productive. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what I can get out of next year.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 12-24-2011 at 11:12 PM.
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #29
WMHeilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662 View Post
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

2) While on my way back from another Scranton trip, I found a Delaware-Lackawanna grain train powered by five of the railroad's Alcos and couldn't resist a chase. Of course, just as the train left we were met with a heavy snowfall and a bunch of motorists who apparently had never driven in snowy conditions before. In spite of this, I was able to come away with at least one good snowfall shot.
Don't you love those types of people? Nice shot Austin.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #30
PLEzero

Image © Brad Morocco
PhotoID: 359315
Photograph © Brad Morocco

Image © Brad Morocco
PhotoID: 361845

Image © Brad Morocco
PhotoID: 361088

Image © Brad Morocco
PhotoID: 360471

Image © Brad Morocco
PhotoID: 361389
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #31
crazytiger

Okay, so now that 2011 is over and I have time to do this...

#10:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

All of my top 5 are at the Seneca River Trestle (4 of them near sunrise). That's a combination of two things, I think. I go there (in the morning) as my most often location and time. The other factor is that the trestle is pretty.

PFL

Last edited by crazytiger; 01-07-2012 at 11:50 PM.
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best shots 2011 top 5